Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Travel Bug

I have been lucky enough to do a fair amount of traveling in the past decade.  Some of my travel has been for research or for conferences.  In 2006 and 2007 I had a research fellowship that allowed me to live in Madrid.  I took advantage of cheap(er) European airfares, trains, and buses to take short weekend trips to other places in Spain, like Salamanca, Barcelona, Bilbao and San Sebastian, and to other places in Europe, such as London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Berlin, and Lisbon.
Park Guell in Barcelona

My good friend A. and me on her bike in Amsterdam
Rooftops in Lisbon
Since I moved back to the states, I don't get to travel as much.  However, I still try to travel once or twice a year to a new or interesting destination in addition to visiting family in Louisiana, Texas, or Toronto.  I was hoping to be able to take a short research trip back to Spain this summer, but I unfortunately missed a deadline to apply for some grant money and plane tickets are ridiculously expensive these days, so it doesn't seem like it's in the cards in the immediate future.  However, M. and I are planning a little getaway to Boston, Montreal, and Toronto in the summer.  I've been to Boston twice but both times were for conferences, and I couldn't just relax and enjoy the city.  I've never been to Montreal, so I'm especially thrilled about exploring it for a couple of days.  I've spent a fair amount of time in Toronto (both with my spouse who is from there and independently), but it's an amazing city that I can't wait to visit again.
Toronto from the Ferry to Centre Island
Do you have any travel plans this summer?  What's one place that you love visiting or would love to visit?

26 comments:

  1. I want to take your trip!  I've never been to Montreal, and it's been several years since I've been to Boston or Toronto (7 and 17, respectively).  Since we just went to California last month and we're buying the condo in a couple weeks and all, Fella and I don't really have much travel in our budget this summer, aside from a couple trips to see my family in Ohio.  That said, when giving Fella birthday present ideas, I said I'd love a weekend getaway, even to someplace nearby like Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to Chicago in July, since the husband has a race in Eastern WI.  We're saving for Europe in 2012 or 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun summer trip! :) No trips planned as of yet (other than hoping to get up to my family's lake house). Getting back to Italy is probably my number one wish right now! And figuring out our honeymoon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. sartorialsidelinesMay 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM

    I'm actually looking forward to not traveling this summer! It sounds strange because I love traveling and love that this line of work involves it but after nearly two years of traveling all around the US, Canada, and England, I'm kind of glad to be staying home this summer and just kicking back.

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see much more of Europe.  I've only been to Germany.  Lots of those places you named are on my bucket list.

    We usually try to take one bigger (read: more expensive) vacation a year along with an end-of-summer beach getaway.  The past few years have included Germany, St. Maarten, Hawaii, Vegas (twice), Grand Canyon, Virgin Islands, Barbados, Cabo San Lucas, and Destin FL multiple times.  This year is gonna be more low key. We don't really have the fun money this year for a big vacation.  Instead we're spending a few extra days in the mountains when we go to Gatlinburg for our nephew's wedding in a couple of weeks.  And I think Myrtle Beach later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any travel plans for the summer, but this fall I will be doing a 1/2 marathon in Vicctoria BC, which I am excited about!

    I love to visit Paris and I would love to visit Machu Picchu and do the 4 day trek to the ruins! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honey, you are going to LOVE Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Montreal for the first time this March and found some great pubs in downtown and galleries and restaurants in Old Montreal.  I'm dying to go back to the northeast this summer, not sure if it's going to happen, though.  I went to Jazz Fest in New Orleans for a big travel weekend, if that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also love to visit Machu Picchu!  The 1/2 in BC sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The money thing does make traveling more tricky, doesn't it?  I would love to spend more time in Germany, and I've never been to Hawaii or Barbados.  I need a beach in the future sometime....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I wanted to take your trip to California!  It looked like a wonderful time.  And having the condo will be so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see what you guys decide for the luna de miel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jazz Fest and New Orleans count for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could travel! Been too poor as of late, but I will try and get down to do some camping at Pensacola on the beach. The water is so blue there. Boston is a fun place, a fave city of mine. My big plans for the future are to go to Turkey and Istanbul. Cheers! 

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so cool you were in Amsterdam. We've been to Barcelona once too and I absolutely loved Park Guell.

    We have a love for Italy, not a particular region although Tuscany and Umbria are my favorites. This year we're staying in Holland for our vacation but next year the plan is to go back to Italy.
     

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to go to Istanbul!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Italy is wonderful!  I've been to Rome and Florence twice.  I've also been to Venice, Siena, and Padova.  I'd love to go back.  

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most summers, my Mom, sister and I travel somewhere, but this year we are going in the fall.  We will be going to Bar Harbor, etc.,  for the Mt. Desert marathon. 

    I would love to run the Amsterdam marathon one day.  So cool that you have been there and traveled so much.  

    ReplyDelete
  19.  How fun!!! I've been to Europe once but would love to go again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful travel pictures! =) I'm excited for Hawaii we leave this weekend, but honestly I'm really looking forward to going back to Europe one of these days! Backpacking sounds amazing and so romantic, eek! Wish we all had full bank accounts and time to spare =P

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!  You have had some fab adventures!!!  I would love to visit Europe one day...

    I'm excited to visit my familyin Omaha, NE this summer!  It's not Venice, but lots of love! 

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are many amazing places in Europe, but sometimes nothing beats seeing your family!  

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you have traveled to so many amazing places already! I love to take a big trip every summer...but right now I have no major plans. I hope to figure something out soon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  24.  I just love travelling too! This summer I'll be taking my mum to London. She goes every summer because *her* mother lives there, and since I studied there it feels like a second home. I'm not sure if I'll be going anywhere else, but New York is on my must-visit list!

    ReplyDelete
  25.  Ooh, I just read this! Yay for summer travel. We're going to do our yearly pilgrimage to Greece, with a two-week stint in Hamburg for DEFENDING MY DISSERTATION!!! But, if you're in Boston before the end of June, I'd love to get together if you have the time... :) 

    ReplyDelete
  26. D, that is awesome news about the defense!  I would love to get together while in Boston!  I'll email you the trip gets closer to see if you'll be in town.  

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.