Tuesday, May 17, 2011

T is for Taper and Marathon Goals

After I bonked on my 17 miler a couple of weekends ago, I knew that I would need a good long run this past weekend.  It was my last long long run before heading into Taperville.  Sunday was a beautiful day here, and I ran 19 miles.  I felt great.  It was probably my best long run of this training cycle, and it was the longest training run I've ever done (while I have run a full marathon, my previous longest training run was 17 miles).  I took a few strategic walk breaks and a GU at mile 8 and mile 13.5.  I did a number of visualization exercises during the week before the run and during the run itself.  I also did some positive self-talking and may or may not have been talking to myself out loud out on the paths.  It was the confidence building run that I needed.  I feel sure that I am capable of finishing my marathon on June 5th.

I'm now headed into a sort of unorthodox taper.  I describe it that way because I have two more longish runs planned - an 8-9 miler and a 13.1 miler.  You see, although it's not ideal for tapering purposes, I'm running a half-marathon in Madison with my good friend Suzie the weekend before the full marathon.  It will be her first half-marathon, and I'm really looking forward to experiencing the race with a friend.  Our goal is to finish in 2:20 or under.  S. and I have run or worked out together about once a week since the fall, and it has been so nice to have a training partner here who is also a close friend - what Kristin Armstrong calls a "sweat sister."
Because of the timing of these two races, I'm not aiming for a PR in either (although a PR in either of them would be nice).  While I do have a pace goal for the half, I decided not to attach any expectations about times or paces for the full this go around.  I just want to enjoy the experience, finish the marathon, and have a smile on my face when I cross the finish line.  This marathon training cycle hasn't been perfect: it was shorter than it should have been and I was injured for a couple of weeks of it.  However, I am a much more consistent runner than I was when I ran my first marathon in 2009.  My plan for after the half is to only do one 2 mile run and one 2 mile walk during the week that follows.  I hope that my legs will feel fresh for the marathon and believe that they will get me across the finish line.

I know many runners tend to feel sort of blah while tapering.  I think, though, because this one is not typical and because I'm also looking forward to the half in two weeks, I don't feel restive or anxious.  How do you feel about tapering?

13 comments:

  1. Tapering is always a mixed bag for me--love it and hate it. I think you'll be fine doing both races. Pick the one that matters most to you and then pace yourself accordingly for the other. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on the good long run!  I think your plan sounds just fine.  This past cycle has really taught me to just enjoy myself, sometimes surprises await when you just enjoy too!  Have fun with your modified tapering. 

    ReplyDelete
  3.  I'm happy for you and your successful long run.  Yay!  What a confidence booster.  Have fun with the half - don't push too much - you want to feel good going into the marathon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The half then full combo sounds fun! I love hearing about your Midwest races! I grew up in winona and went undergrad in Eau Claire. I have come back to run many times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed Raquel doing a half and a full with just 1 week between it.
    I haven't ever done any real tapering. I ran my longest distance a week before my half and the week between that some short runs. Not really sure if tapering is necessary for a half.

    I think you will finish both and maybe surprise us with some nice PR's.
     

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you had a great long run over the weekend. I'm not a fan of tapering. Three weeks seems much too long for me. I think 2 weeks is good 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did so so during tapering.  I really started to psych myself out.  But i was so exhausted frmo the training - esp all the runs in the heat + humidity...  so tapering was kind of nice! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I embrace tapering.  It's my favorite part of training.  lol  I definitely don't suffer from the "taper madness" everyone talks about. 

    ReplyDelete
  9.  Awesome that your longest run felt the best. THat's definitely a confidence booster! My tapers are usually a bit stir crazy. I try to get runs in, but just make sure they're a bit shorter and easier in effort. I also try to busy myself with movies or book reading after work so I don't just freak out about the marathon. Good luck! Hope the 1/2 goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Staying occupied in the evenings is such a good idea!  I'll try to make sure I have plenty of fun books and magazines to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Lisa!  And yes I want to feel good going into the marathon, so I won't push too hard during the half.  

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my first year in the upper Midwest.  It's perfect for running this time of year here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on your half marathon and your full!!! Training is always SOOOOOooooo much better with a buddy, and if you can find a friend with similar time/pace goals for a race, OMG, it is just heavenly have to run with someone during an actual race. Can't wait to read your race reports. 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.