This week didn't go exactly according to plan because my running group was meeting on Thursday for the long run and I ran a local 5K on Saturday. It was a cut back week anyway, so the I wasn't too far off my mileage mark, though. I had 19 miles on the schedule and ran 16.57 miles.
Week 2
Week 2
Monday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual 4 miles progressive. I met my group at the Y. Most of them were doing 5 miles, but I decided to stick with my schedule and only do 4. I ran the first two with a really nice woman and then she continued on and I turned back.
Tuesday - Time Trial - 1 mile. Actual 2 miles. I walked for a few minutes and then jogged a half mile to warm up. Then I ran an 8:28 mile and cooled down with another half mile of jogging and then a few minutes of walking. There were thunderstorms so I did this on my treadmill. I think on fresh legs and outside I would have been a bit faster. Still, I haven't tried to run a mile as fast as I could for time in recent memory, so I'll take it. Followed it up with some yoga.
Wednesday - scheduled 3 miles - hill work. Actual 0 miles. Because I knew I would be doing my long run the next day I decided to make Wednesday an active rest day and did 30 minutes of lifting and 25 minutes on the elliptical machine.
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. Actual 7.45 miles @10:58/mile average pace. I met the group at the local Y at 5am for my long run of the week. I was wishing I had a head lamp because I couldn't see much for the first mile or so, but then it started to get light. I got absolutely drenched in a downpour that started during the last mile or so, but it was kind of exhilarating. I did put some mental strategies to use during this run because I was kind of struggling the first couple of miles. It might have been a combination of running in the dark and running on my own but I was feeling some negativity. The good thing was that I caught it early and was able to refocus on positive things and putting "I will" thoughts to work.
Friday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual rest day.
Saturday - scheduled 7 miles. Actual local 5k. I met up with my friend AP to run this one. We both had a goal of breaking 30 minutes and we both achieved it. It was challenging because it was already pretty warm out and the humidity was around 80% and there were a couple of decent inclines to tackle. We did it, though! I finished in 29:26 and got a nice, new, shiny PR of 41 seconds!
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles. Actual 0 miles. I had been planning on doing the 4 easy miles from Friday here, but I was having some stomach issues and decided to just take the originally scheduled rest day.
Up next for week 3 (I am slightly tweaking my program to more closely match my running group's on the days that I run with them):
Monday - scheduled 6 miles progressive
Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest
Wednesday - scheduled 3 miles - hill work
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest
Friday - scheduled 5 miles easy
Saturday - scheduled 12 miles LSD
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles - rest
Congrats on the 5K PR and good training week!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the great new PR!
ReplyDeleteI've been pretty good following my training plan and I think it really helps reading yours and a few other blogs that blog about their training plans and progress for the week.Have a great week of training.
congrats on your new 5K PR!!!!
ReplyDeleteand way to adapt the training schedule to meet your needs. :-)
Congratulations on your shiny new PR! And congratulations also another killer week of marathon training. You're off to an amazing start!
ReplyDeletegoodluck with your training! When is the best time to travel to Chicago? I really need to save money and get the cheapest airline tickets possible.
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo! Congratulations on a great 5K! How exciting :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your PR!!!
ReplyDeleteAnother strong training week for you. We did time trials at my run club, too. We did 2 miles and dang, it was hard. I finished in 16:55 which I feel ok with since that is significantly faster than my usual pace.
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you were already able to put to use the concepts you learned when meeting with the sports psychologist!
Running in the rain is the best. Nice time for your 1 miler! It will only get better.
ReplyDeleteI think you're doing great! Another awesome week of training =)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe what discipline you bring to this. Extremely impressive.
ReplyDelete