On Tuesday afternoon I had my first appointment with Dr. Cindra Kamphoff, a sport psychologist who has a practice called The Runner's Edge. Dr. Kamphoff helps runners reach their potential by developing their mental toughness. During our first session, which lasted about 90 minutes, she asked me a number of questions about what was going well in my running, what wasn't going so well, how I saw myself (as related to my running) on both good days and bad days, and about my long-term and short-term running goals. We also discussed mental roadblocks that I had been experiencing during my runs - both during training and during races - and began to discuss some of the strategies that I could use during my training to overcome them.
I tried to be very honest about some of the barriers I'd been coming up against and how negative thoughts and self-doubt have been impacting my running. It's not that I slam into a wall in every run, but I do every couple of weeks. I want to become more optimistic and confident as a runner. Dr. Kamphoff and I walked through some of the feedback loops I've been experiencing and discussed ways to counter negative thoughts and to reframe situations so that I have fewer self-doubts and more control over my thoughts and feelings.
For example, we talked about how I have a tendency to compare myself to other runners and get upset that I'm not faster or that I don't look a certain way and how that can sometimes tank a run for me. She gave me some ideas for trying to reset my focus on positives and affirmatives, concentrating on how many miles I've run since becoming a runner, why I love to run, and telling myself that I am getting faster and that I will continue to get faster.
Toward the end of the session we prioritized the things that we would focus on in our next sessions, in particular visualization techniques and mentally mapping out races and runs so that I can get better at pushing through pain and fatigue and continue developing my self-confidence as a runner. We'll be in email contact about once a week and we'll meet again about a week before my next half-marathon and sometime in late September/early October before the Chicago Marathon.
It was a great session, and I left the meeting feeling very excited about my goals, running, and working on being aware of my thoughts and reframing them. I am feeling more and more confident that by continuing to work on my mental focus and by running with a local group a couple of times a week that I will PR at my half-marathon next month and that I will PR with a sub 5 hour time at the Chicago Marathon in October.
This sounds like a really good experience...I wish they offered they type of thing for other activities (like being an academic!). It sounds like an ideal way to regain focus.
ReplyDeletexoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com
I have often thought that there are similarities between dissertating (or completing any lengthy kind of writing project) and marathoning. I've actually been meaning to write a post about that for a long time now, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome that you got to meet with that doctor! I think as academics we are trained to always compare ourselves to others and seek external validation.running is so different. You are going to rock chicago!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I read a book on Toughness Training for Sports and have been working on the mental exercises they give. It's just hard to remember to do it regularly, most often I slack when I need it most. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteInteresting. The mental aspect is definitely a big part of endurance sports. I hope she helps you out with that.
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I stopped comparing myself to others and started truly enjoying the moment while out on my runs and that strategy helps me a lot. I think I go faster when I'm more relaxed an having fun also. Odd how that works.
Comparing myself to other runners is something I do all the time. It's so hard to stop myself before it actually happens. I have come to realize that some people are just gifted and better at running naturally than I will ever be.
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard not to compare ourselves to others, especially in the blogosphere of running superstars! I'm right there with you on that one. There's always someone faster, stronger, skinnier... We just have to focus on ourselves and *our* improvements.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree on writing and marathoning. I'm in graduate school now (MA in English-General Studies), and each day that I spend on my classwork feels like I'm trudging through that last 6.2 in a marathon. Can't wait until the finish line.
Keep up the good work, mentally and physically!
Sounds like it's working for you! So many people try to solve this problem with working hard physically, upping the training, going slightly crazy with it all, but I like your approach much better!
ReplyDeleteI really like that you're willing to share such a personal part of your running experience with us. The visualization exercises sound great--I've done (and do) something similar with running and other experiences that make me really nervous (like defending for my PhD!). And I'll add my dittoes about long-distance running and dissertations! Endurance and mental focus/toughness help in all sorts of situations beyond running.
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration, Raquelita.
It's just so cool that you found this and were able to tap into it! Sounds really great and I can't wait to see how your plan pans out for you.
ReplyDeleteI am SO intrigued by this whole process. Please keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! What a cool experience. I fully believe that running is VERY mental. It's almost 40% physical, 60% mental. That mimght be an exaggeration, but it's how i feel about running. I think it's good to work on those feedback loops and redirect our thoughts. I used to be terrible about doing this in other areas of my life and then I did some therapy sessions years ago and it really helped me to not get stuck in those thought patterns, etc.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fascinating thing to do - I've never thought of sports psychology for non-professional athletes, but it's a great idea. And I wonder how transferable these insights will be to your "regular psyche"...
ReplyDeleteReally interesting post. I totally get it -- the comparison trap. Trust me, I used to get so bitter reading other blogs when someone had a bragadocious run. I gradually started focusing solely on me, and obviously it feels much better than worrying about anyone else.
ReplyDeleteI'm sad that you sometimes get down on yourself about running :( Keep it fun. Running can be such an immense joy
Thanks for sharing this! How cool you have the opportunity to talk to someone about your goals and the mental blocks that come with meeting those goals. I wish I could be a bad ass like you ^_^
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you felt great after the session! I tend to compare myself to others as well, which is just silly, because I've never been athletic and running is still very new to me. Now I try to compare myself only to myself - I'll never be a marathon runner, but that's okay, I'll just cheer on you amazing runners from the sidelines (or from behind the screen!).
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteSports psychology encompasses a range of topics including motivation to persist and
achieve, psychological considerations in sport injury and
rehabilitation, counseling techniques with athletes, assessing talent,
exercise adherence and well-being. It helps in achieving, expertise in sport, youth sport and performance enhancement
and self-regulation techniques. Thanks a lot.
Sport and Personality