I hadn't planned to post until after the holiday, but I'm having such a horrible day that I needed a space to vent. Some of my frustration has been building for a while and it has culminated today in a heavy heart and a bruised head.
On Tuesday we picked up our car from the airport only to discover that the front driver's side car had been damaged. Probably due to one of the many potholes in the roads that the government of my state has not fixed and now that it has officially shut down might not fix. We had to spend a couple of hours in a tire shop on Tuesday evening and got home several hours later than planned. On Thursday at midnight all non-essential functions of the state government shut down. While I am one of the lucky ones (technically I am a state employee since I work for a public university) and will still be getting my paycheck, since an arrangement for the system to access its funds during the shut down was reached, many other people in this state have been laid off at least for the time being. It sickens me that politics has become so ideological and extreme that compromises can't be reached and that governments can't function properly. I've been fuming over this for the past month. It angers me to no end that politicians think they should be able to regulate marriage and reproductive rights but can't bother to fix the fucking state highways. But I won't go into that rant.
Yesterday my mood was further blackened by a call I got from my local Y. I had signed up for a marathon class that was supposed to start next week. Not enough people signed up for the evening class, so it has been cancelled. The Y offered to switch me to the morning class, but it won't fit into my schedule once the semester starts next month, so I had to ask for a refund. I was bummed because I was really looking forward to having people to train with and getting to work with a running coach. I had been holding off on picking a training program for Chicago until I could consult with the coach of the class, but now it looks like I'm on my own. I have trained for two marathons more or less on my own, and I know that I can do it again. However, right now, today, the idea of going through a training cycle on my own just feels like a burden. I've written to a local running coach/sports psychologist to inquire about her services. I haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully we can come to an arrangement that will help me get to my goal without breaking my bank.
This morning I got up to run 7-8 miles, and I must have got up on the wrong side of the bed. Bailey took forever to do her business. When I opened the fridge, a carton of eggs fell out and I had to clean up smashed egg yolks all over the kitchen floor. My run sucked -- probably more due to my mental state than anything else. It took me forever to run what I don't even consider a long run. Then when I went to get something out of the fridge to make my lunch, I wasn't paying attention and stood upright too soon, whacking the back of my head on the freezer. The good thing I guess is that the tears of pain soon gave way to tears of anger and frustration. Ah. Catharsis.
I'm hoping that spending the afternoon reading Harry Potter and making cupcakes will turn this day or at least my ability to respond and react to it around.
Ah, the run of bad luck. Nothing quite as irritating (and tear-producing) as that. But fear not, you've bought yourself some amnesty for the next while :-) You should make choc chip cookies with bacon. I'm eating one now and it's awesome. I generally don't love the choc chip cookie, but with bacon, it's transformed.
ReplyDeleteAw, I hope your day gets better and that your luck turns around! You wouldn't believe how many times I hit my head on the freezer like that. Or on buses, doorways, etc. And I've been dropping things left and right the past few days, so I can relate.
ReplyDeleteBummer on your class being canceled! Hope your cupcakes and book brighten your day!
ReplyDeleteoh, I'm sorry that you are having a tough time right now. chin up and may there be brighter times ahead.
ReplyDeleteNot only should make cupcakes you should eat ALL of them. You deserve at least that much! Sorry your in a rut. Hope it gets better soon. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteI hope your day has turned out better
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about all the issues with your state - I can definitely identify as I've been a state employee for almost 3 years and it basically sucks. Furloughs, no raises at all (and none in sight), moratoriums on travel, etc. I've been more irritated with the whole state budget situation recently also and can only hope that it eventually gets at least somewhat better.
ReplyDeleteIronically enough, due to the horrible conditions of our roads, I recently had to deal with tire/rim damage as well! So freaking frustrating.
Hope your day got much better after the cupcake/reading break! Have a nice relaxing 4th of July!
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. And yes, sometimes the macro factors, ie state politics, and the micro factors, ie your fridge, collide and destroy your emotional stability and fortitude. However, please take five minutes to think about all the amazing things you do: teaching, marathon running, researching and writing! Eat those cupcakes and give yourself a few days off.
ReplyDeleteAw, sorry this has been a bad week. You're right the extremism of politics is out of hand. Can't stand it. I hope things take a turn for the better for you asap!
ReplyDeleteThat really sucks that your Y is cancelling the evening class. Don't they realize that most people have to work for a living???
ReplyDeleteAnd the politics... ugh, the politics. I'm a federal employee. I totally get it.
I hope Harry Potter and the cupcakes lifted your spirits! Funny how the little shit like broken eggs and a banged noggin can be what sets you right over the edge when you're already stressed. And speaking of HP, I'm about 2/3 through the 3rd book and I'm really enjoying the series!
Sorry to hear about the car, the clinic, the eggs, the bump, and the political frustrations. Hopefully, the Potter and the baking were soothing. I'm hoping for the best.
ReplyDelete=( I hope your day gets better! If it helps, TNG is definitely streaming on Netflix, so you too can stare at Captain Picard's shiny bald head! I hope the coach works out and you can start on a marathon training plan you love soon!
ReplyDeleteHey girl, hope the weekend has perked up for you!
ReplyDeleteUgh. It sounds like you had a terrible week. I'm so sorry and I hope that things have turned around since you posted this. Sometimes we just have a run of sucky luck and it sounds like you're in the thick of it. One thing that (sometimes) helps me get through these kinds of moments is to say, "Thank you for this opportunity to practice patience." I am not really thanking anyone in particular, and sometimes I am feeling extra bratty and it doesn't work at all, but usually it offers at least a small amount of comfort.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're having a better day!