Tuesday, July 12, 2011

On the Table: Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes

Although I don't tend to read them on a daily basis, every now and then, I'll peruse food blogs for a while and book mark some recipes that I'd like to try out on a lazy Saturday or Sunday.  This recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes from Annie's Eats was just one such recipe that I'd had bookmarked for a few weeks.  I had a ton of blueberries in my fridge over the holiday weekend, and I decided to put my standing mixer to use.  Please forgive the quality of my food photos.  I don't take them with any consistency, so they still aren't very good.
I didn't have any cake flour on hand so I used 1.5 cups of all purpose flour instead.  This did cause the cupcakes to have a slightly more muffin-like texture.  They were still delicious, though.

My husband is fruit-challenged, and this saddens me to no end.  He will eat cantaloupe, apples and oranges and likes lemon cake and lemon bars, but he is not a fan of berries.  Blueberries are the one exception to this, and, while he doesn't seek them out, he will eat the occasional blueberry pancake or blueberry scone.  Knowing his low fruit ceiling, I dotted my cupcakes with some fresh berries and left his without any garnish.
They tasted gloriously summery and we devoured the batch of 16 in less than a week.  I meant to take some to my neighbor, but I didn't have the will-power.

What are some of your favorite summer-time desserts and treats? Do you have a loved one who is fruit-challenged? How do you cope with it?

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Adam and I both really like lemony desserts! I'll admit to being a bit fruit challenged, though. Have to remind myself to buy it for Adam every week, because as long as I have some raspberries in the house I'm set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh those look AMAZING!!

    I make pudding parfaits with fruit in the bottom and on top to help get both protein and fruit into my family during summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG those look to die for good.    My favorite summer treat is just all the fresh fruit  cherries, berries, peaches YUM
     

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fella is the same way about berries!  He'll eat banana bread and apple muffins (he requests the muffins on a pretty regular basis), but isn't a fan of berries.  That just means more berry desserts for me :)  My all-time favorite summer dessert is lemon meringue pie, with key lime being a very close second.  Fella doesn't care for lemon meringue much either, which again, means more pie for me!

    These look so yummy!  I love lemon with any berry - such a fresh combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos look lovely!  You did great :-)  I find that the key to nice food photos is natural light.  Once that's in place, the food will do the work for you.  (I'm a fan of unfussy food photography.)

    I'm dating a fruit-challenged man!  In some ways, our palates oppose one another, and fruit is a great example of that.  He'll eat bananas and oranges, mostly for the nutrients, but other than that, most of his fruit is consumed in the form of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord, those look awesome. I do love the berries in summer. And the cobblers. Really, I love all the same things in summer as in winter - which is to say, practically every dessert known to mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I miss blueberries! I could write an Ode to Blueberries. The only ones you get here are shipped in from Chile and sold at the price of gold. / My husband doesn't like peeling fruit, he prefers it in a smoothie or juice form. It's strange this male aversion to fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any dessert or treat with strawberries in Summer is good!

    My hub isn't a fruit eater at all. But when I use it in pastry, desserts or even dinner he eats it and likes it. He just don't like to eat an apple for example. Last weekend I chopped a lot of fruits for a fruit salad and put some of it in his lunchbox and that he eats and likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yummy!!! Where's mine!? 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.