Thanks to all of you who expressed interest in learning more about me! Since I got a variety of questions, I decided to break my answers up into two posts. This one will focus on the questions about my running, reading, and other hobbies. The next post will answer the questions about my academic career and how it has impacted certain areas of my life.
Elena asked: Who's your favorite Harry Potter character and why? My favorite Harry Potter character is Hermione Granger. She is not only book smart, but she can think on her feet. She is a more talented wizard than either Harry or Ron, who are both pure blood wizards. Essentially she is a bad ass. And she has hair that is prone to frizz and is prone to being a know-it-all, and I can identify with that. Neville Longbottom, who is also a bad ass, is a close second.
Lisa asked: Which [shoes] are your very favorite pairs? I love shoes, and it's hard to pick favorites but there are some pairs that I love even more than the others. My current favorites are my Fluevog Pearl Hearts. My husband gave them to me for Valentine's Day/Early Birthday a couple of years ago.
My absolute favorite boots are my Fluevog Katrins, a pair of Victorian style lace up boots that I bought back in 2006. They were my very first Fluevogs and have been all over the US and Europe with me.
I also really love my r2 oxford lace up spectator pumps that you can see in my About Me page. I've worn them countless times for teaching, conferences, interviews, etc. in the two years that I've had them.
What is your favorite running distance and why? My favorite distance for training runs is the 10-12 mile range. It usually takes me a few miles to warm up and start getting into the flow of the run, so I like having a few miles to feel that way. Twelve miles is usually when I start to feel a bit fatigued unless I'm in the peak part of a marathon training cycle so it's a good point to stop. My favorite distance to race is the half-marathon. I get the distance that I crave from double digit training runs, but I still feel like I can be social and that my life isn't overwhelmed by marathon training.
Chrissy asked: What is your favorite book and why? And if you can't limit it to just one, top three. I'll give you my top two - The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino and La casa de los espiritus by Isabel Allende. I love magical realism and both of these tales sucked me in and left me breathless. I also first read both of these books at times of tremendous transition and adventure in my life, and I think I associate them with the volatile, potent, and paradoxical mixture of feelings of incredible excitement, tremendous longing, and peaceful certainty of that period in my life.
Elise asked: What was the last leisure book that you read? The last leisure book that I read was Chocolat by Joanne Harris. It was very charming.
Do you have a favorite home cooked meal that you can never order at a restaurant because it can never be done better than at home? Will you share the recipe? Not really. I mean, I think my chili is amazing, but I don't use a recipe, and I'm willing to try the chili that other people make and that some cafes serve in the winter. I've been making chili since I was a kid, and every time I make it is different because I don't measure and I use whatever ingredients are on hand that seem like a good idea. Sometimes I make it with black beans and corn and sweet potatoes and sometimes with organic free range beef and sometimes with chickpeas and tofu.
Jennifer asked: If you had a third arm, where would it be on your body and what would be it's purpose? I would have my third arm in the middle of my chest and its purpose would be to help me balance in certain yoga poses.
Rose-Anne asked: What is your favorite color? I am a big fan of all colors, but it is a well-know fact that I am especially obsessed with purple.
Rose-Anne and Lisa asked: What's your favorite brand of running shoes? Are you brand loyal? I have worn Saucony for the past several years, but this weekend I was shopping for new running shoes (I like to have a couple of pairs that I rotate) and I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Ghost 4s. I liked how they felt on my feet and my stride in them. Also the store also didn't have the Sauconies that I wanted in my size. We'll see if I end up making a habit of the Brooks, or if I go back to my stand-by brand.
Michelle asked: What is your biggest pet peeve? Hmmm. I have a few, but probably my biggest pet peeve is when people use the word "gay" to describe something that they consider dumb. It is demeaning and shows a complete lack of class and ignorance. I cringe every time I hear it, and, if it's someone that I know, I will confront him/her about it.
Amanda asked: Is there a favorite blog that you read that adds to your life? I read a number of blogs and it's hard to name just one favorite. In terms of running/fitness blogs, I really love Miss Zippy. She is insightful, inspiring, and is so encouraging of athletes of all levels and ages.
Thatpinkgirl asked: What has been your favorite running moment? Finishing my first marathon. I definitely felt pride in my accomplishment and the hard work I had put into getting to the start line and to making it across the finish.
Anne asked: What kind of music do you like and what was the last concert you went to? I have very eclectic taste in music. Some of my favorites include Tori Amos, Radio Tarifa, Brandi Carlile, The Velvet Underground, Counting Crows, Old 97s, and Pink. I like to listen to classical music or jazz when I'm reading and writing and ridiculous pop and dance when I'm running. The last concert that I went to was a free outdoor concert last month in Toronto. Natacha Atlas and Minor Empire were performing. I like concerts, but I think the last time I paid to go to a concert was in 2007 (I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers and OMD during the same weekend in Munich). I prefer to spend my money on other things.
Love those boots!
ReplyDeleteThis was fun learning more about you! LOVE the lavender pumps - they are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteWow! you just made my day!! Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteLove your shoe style! And I also agree with Hermione...she rocks and is a great example to young girls when they read HP.
We have very similar music tastes! Have you seen Brandi Carlile live? i have seen her twice and can't wait toi see another show of hers. She has such an amazing voice.
ReplyDeleteThanks for answering our questions! I think half marathons are my fave racing distance, too. Although I am pretty sure i will do another marathon even though I said I was done... Too tough being surrounded by people training in this rub club...
Sadly, I have never seen her live. If she comes to the Twin Cities, I might have to change that, though!
ReplyDeletePeer pressure! Peer pressure!
Thank YOU for writing such awesome posts!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really fun post! I found myself nodding along at your answers. I really liked Neville Longbottom--he grabbed my heartstrings early on in the series, and I was pleased with how his character develops. Maybe I sort of identify with his quiet strength?
ReplyDeleteThose Pearl Hearts are so beautiful. I can see why you love them!
And I attribute your chili-making powers to your Texas roots :-) I bet you make a mighty fine veggie chili!