Like many runners throughout the US, I've been dealing with hot and humid weather conditions for my runs this past week. While it may not be the Texas hot of my youth, it's been pretty miserable, and I just keep having to tell myself that this will pay off in the fall and when it's 80F and 80% humidity at 5:15 am that running an 11 minute mile is more like running a 10-10:30 minute mile under more favorable conditions. If you haven't yet, check out Frayed Lace's excellent post breaking down how heat and humidity can effect running performance.
Week 3
Monday - scheduled 6 miles progressive. Actual 5 miles progressive. I met up with my running group and some were doing 8 miles, some 6 miles, and some 5 miles. Because it was so miserably hot and humid, I decided to only do 5 miles and start slowly but run progressively.
Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. I headed to Y with a friend for 30 minutes of weights and 25 minutes of the elliptical machine.
Wednesday - scheduled 3 miles - hill work. Actual 4 miles on the treadmill including a mile warm up and cool down and 4x400 hill intervals. I followed my run up with some yoga.
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. I had originally intended to go to the Y and lift, but I didn't plan. I did, however, get in some Carrie Bradshaw style cardio as I carried shopping bags around for several hours.
Friday - scheduled 5 miles easy. Actual 5 miles "easy". It was hot and humid, so even though I was trying to keep the pace nice and slow, I was still expending more effort than I wanted to be to maintain it.
Saturday - scheduled 12 miles LSD. Actual 10 miles LSD. I met my running group at 5:30 am for its weekly long run. People were doing a variety of distances and we were cautioned to run smart on another really humid morning. I had originally hoped to do 12 miles with a few of them at half-marathon race pace, but due to the humid conditions, I decided to scale back to 10 miles and to just run easy. Even so, this was not a good run for me, and I was burping up GU from mile 7 to 9. I just tried to stay positive and concentrate on finishing the miles.
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles - rest. Actual 0 miles.
Up next for Week 4
Monday - scheduled 6 miles progressive.
Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest.
Wednesday - scheduled 4.5 miles - tempo run.
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest.
Friday - scheduled 5 miles easy.
Saturday - scheduled 12 miles LSD.
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles - rest.
Nice training week!
ReplyDeleteThank God this heat wave has broken. It was brutal running last week! I'll have ot check out that link re: the impact of heat/humidity on your pace. Mine definitely suffered last week but I was just happy to get workouts in, period!
ReplyDeleteEww burping up GU. I've had that happen several times in the past (once during a marathon) and it is so gross and so distracting
ReplyDeleteGood for you for still running in this weather! I haven't even been able to get myself to the gym lately. But I'm inspired by all your efforts, so I'll try to get back into some sort of fitness routine this week. Why is exercise so hard in the summer?
ReplyDeleteGood job on the training. Best wishes for a good week!
ReplyDeleteYou had a great week in spite of the heat! It can only get cooler from here, right? ; )
ReplyDeleteI think you had a great week despite the heat. Well done!
ReplyDeleteAwesome training week!!
ReplyDeleteYou are pushing though the tough stuff and that will be a big plus as it gets cooler! Good week!
ReplyDeleteI like how you got your shopping cardio in! Good luck with this week!
ReplyDeleteYeah! Another Chicago runner...looking forward to following your progress and motivating each other along the way.
ReplyDelete