Monday, August 8, 2011

Chicago Marathon Training: Week 5 and Seattle Recommendations Please!

This past week was a race week so I did a bit of a mini-taper in terms of my overall training.

Monday - scheduled 6 miles w/ 5 at half-marathon goal pace. Actual 6 miles with 5 at just a tad faster than half-marathon goal pace.  This was a great run for being on the treadmill.

Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. Actual 0 miles. I headed to the gym for 30 minutes of lifting and 30 minutes on the elliptical machine.

Wednesday - scheduled 5 miles easy. Actual 4 miles easy.  I kept the pace nice and slow and just tried to think of this run as shaking out my legs.

Thursday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual 3.1 miles easy. I realized as I headed out the door to run 4-5 miles that if I did 3.1 I would have run a half-marathon during the week leading up to my half-marathon. Being a sucker or cheesy metaphors and imaginary music montages, how could I not do this.

Friday - scheduled 0 miles - rest.

Saturday - scheduled Urban Wildlands Half-Marathon. Actual 13.21 miles according to my Garmin, 13.1 according to official race results in 2:25:35.  As I posted in my race report below, this wasn't the race I hoped it would be, but that's ok. I still finished faster than I did at all three of my 2010 half-marathons, and faster races and PRs are out there in my future.

Sunday - scheduled 0 miles - rest. Actual 0 miles.  I slept in, devoured a husband-made brunch, talked to a friend in LA on the phone and did some reading for one of the courses I'll be teaching. Nothing onerous or strenuous in any way.

Up next for Week 6:

Monday - scheduled 4 miles easy.

Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest.

Wednesday - scheduled 15 miles LSD.

Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - rest.

Friday - scheduled 4-6 miles easy.

Saturday - scheduled 0 miles - rest.

Sunday - scheduled 4-6 miles easy.

This upcoming week is a little bit fuzzy in terms of my training schedule because in a few days I am heading to a conference in Seattle. That means I'm going to plan to do my long run on Wednesday before I head out of town on Thursday and will have to try to fit in some training in Seattle. While I will be presenting research on Saturday and going to a few panels the other days, I would also like to enjoy my time in Seattle. I've never been there, and I'm also craving a little bit of R&R (running and relaxation) before the imminent start of the semester. I'll be staying in a downtown hotel, and would love your suggestions for running routes (4-6 miles would be good), things to do (free or inexpensive are best), and places to eat or have a couple of drinks. Where is the best place for brunch downtown? Besides Pike Market, where should I plan on spending some time? So if you live in Seattle or have spent time there, please leave me some suggestions in the comments or shoot me an email!

12 comments:

  1. Running in Seattle won't be a problem for you. Just don't get lost and enjoy the hills. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea where to run or not -- but Seattle is a beautiful/fun city, so I hope you do get to enjoy it!  And, btw, Sunday sounds like the perfect kind of rest day :)  0 miles and 0 anything else is sometimes NECESSARY.  Props on the marathon training!  I wish I was doing Chicago this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent a 2 nights and 2 days in Seattle last Fall (separate from each other) and really loved it!! It's a very beautiful and cool city. Definitely check out the market. I have no recommendations for running as we didn't run when there BUT I think the university area has lots of beautiful paths. Or I'm SURE there must be some sort of path along the water that would probably be gorgeous. Have fun!

    Oh, and good work on your training this week :-) 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariners are playing Boston on the weekend so you can always do that. We are going Saturday night. 

    The market is great (obviously!). The Fremont Troll is cool to see. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get some time to explore Seattle!  We were there for less than 24 hours when I passed through on my way to the marathon destination (portland).  So we were only able to do the market and the origianl starbucks. . Both touristy, but fun things to do.  It was fun to see the barrista 'performing' as they are def the cream of the crop in terms of being able to toss cups/entertain/etc. 

    Hope some people have good rec's for running trails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun! I will be there for a conference over Labor Day and have close friends who lived there for years. Pike Market is awesome and I always make that my anchor spot when I'm downtown- just walk up to get to other cool streets, they are all pretty close. West Seattle has a really nice waterfront with long paths and cute neighborhood cafes, and it's a flatter place to run than the downtown area. It's just over the bridge and public transportation is great if you don't have a car- it's one or two short bus rides over. I think Alki Beach Park is the one I actually went to, but my friends said all the waterfront parks in that 'hood are nice. The tiny bars/music venues are cool, check out a free weekly newspaper to see who is playing- I saw NOFX in one of those places and it was one of the best shows I've seen. There are also some great thrift stores in downtown area, north of the market- just google to find them, you can walk to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. no advice from me, but have fun in seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. It's a beautiful place to spend the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubby lived in Seattle for a year before we got married (grad school for him, most excellent weekend travel for me!) So here are my recommendations (in no particular order):

    Run: the Burke Gilman Trail http://www.seattle.gov/parks/BurkeGilman/bgtrail.htm and Green Lake http://www.seattle.gov/Parks/park_detail.asp?id=307

    Eat: ice cream at Molly Moon's in Wallingford, or salmon anywhere (Ivar's is a local favorite)

    Drink: coffee and beer. anywhere. seriously. (I was always a fan of Elysian brewing... but never had a bad beer or coffee in Seattle.)

    Sight-see: Walk through the Washington Park Arboretum (near the U of Washington campus) or through the waterfront sculpture park (a few blocks north and west of Pike's). The Seattle Underground tour is touristy but interesting. Do see the Seattle Center. Don't waste time on the Space Needle.

    (Feel free to drop me a line if you want specific recommendations or specific neighborhoods that are must-see.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!  I am a big fan of Elysian brewing - their Avatar Jasmine IPA rocked my world on a trip a few years ago, and I have been obsessed with finding it ever since.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for all the suggestions, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should go down to the waterfront and run north and you'll hit the Olympic Sculpture park and a running trail that goes pretty far. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.