Sunday, August 7, 2011

Race Report: Urban Wildland Half-Marathon

Sadly I did not really accomplish most of my goals for this race. I did not PR. I did not run continuously. I did not finish strong with a negative split. I did, however, believe in myself and finish a race in which I suffered dizziness and lightheadedness in the last two miles.

Pre-Race
I woke up at 5 and had some water,  a cup of coffee and a couple of mini bagels with nothing on them.  Then I got dressed, pinned my bib on, and woke up M. so we could head to the start. Before the race I was able to meet up with a couple of other bloggers/DMers Courtenay and Clarinda. It was great to meet them in real life and to chat for a minute. Courtenay has been coming back from an injury so she was running the 5K and Clarinda and her sister were doing the half. (How fun to have a sibling who also runs!) After some conversation and obligatory photos, it was time for us half-marathoners to line up for the 7am start.  I headed toward the back of the pack and waited for the gun, going through my strategy and plans for the race again.
Courtenay, Clarinda, her sister, and me - because a person was directly behind me in the shot it kind of looks like I'm wearing a small blonde toupee
Miles 0-3
Crossing the Start
When the race started, I did my best not to get too caught up in the race day excitement and bolt out of the gate as I have at a couple of other races. I remembered my strategy and tried to just settle into a nice pace of around a 10:30 min/mile. My plan was to run the first three miles at this pace and then to pick things up just a tad every 2-3 miles until the finish. The first water stop was at around mile 2.5, but I decided to keep running. It was humid, but I was carrying my own fluids and I had a GU in the pocket of my running skirt that I planned to take around mile 7 or 8. We were looping through residential neighborhoods and park trails. It made for some pretty running, but there was some congestion caused by the narrowness of the paths and the fact that a number of people seemed to be walking together 2-3 abreast.

Splits: 10:26, 10:35, 9:45 (I think this last mile was marked a bit early because my Garmin did not read 3 miles yet)

Miles 3-7
Around the 3rd mile marker we looped around Wood Lake and onto some unpaved trails. They were pretty hard packed, but it did slow my pace down a bit, as did the narrowness of the trails and the congestion of race traffic. I pissed a couple of walkers off by suggesting to them that they should really be walking single file and to the right on the narrow trail. They acted as if I were a puppy killer. I know I am not the fastest of runners, but I don't try to make it difficult for faster people to pass me.  I expect the same basic courtesy from others out on the race course. I knew I was slowing down on the dirt path (I haven't trained on it really at all), but I figured that I could make up the time in later miles since I knew from the route that the rest of the race would be on pavement. Around mile 5 I was starting to feel a bit tired and sticky, but I just told myself to make it to the next water stop and then I could take a walk break and pour some water over my head. At the water stop I walked for 60 seconds and got a piece of fresh gum out of my pocket. I had pulled both a stick of gum out of my pocket and my GU as well.  I didn't want to take my GU yet, so I put it back into my pocket -- or atleast I thought that I did. In reality, I must have put my GU in between my skirt and my compression shorts because about a mile later I realized I no longer felt my GU against my lower back. When I checked later it was indeed gone.

Splits: 12:14, 9:38, 10:48, 10:31

Miles 7-11
At the water stop just after mile 7, I walked through and planned to take my GU. It was then that I realized that I didn't have my GU and what must have happened. I also knew that I was a bit off track for a PR. However, I was still optimistic that I could finish strong and run a negative split and put myself in a position where a PR still might be possible. Even though I almost always take a GU on any training run longer than 8 miles, I hadn't taken one on an 10-11 miler a few weeks back and had felt fine.  I told myself to focus on enjoying the experience and to start picking up the pace. Around mile 9 I began to start trying to push my pace to 10:20 and planned to run a 10 minute mile or under for the rest of the race.  As you can see from my splits, that did not happen.

11:04, 10:49, 10:22, 10:43,

Miles 11-13.1
As I passed the 11 mile marker, I started to feel weird. My head was feeling taut. I told myself just two miles left, I repeated a mantra to myself a few times. I started to try to pick up the pace, but then a couple of minutes later, I felt as though I was spinning. I thought to myself, "Holy shit! I am going to faint." I started walking. As soon as I started walking I felt a bit better, still a little lightheaded, but not so bad.  After a couple of minutes of walking, I tried to run again, but the same thing happened. So for the last mile and a half of the race I essentially walked a minute, ran a minute. My spirit wanted to run, but my body was not cooperating. All I could think was: just get to the finish, so that I can take in some calories, make it to the finish, try to stay upright. I was worried that I might DNF. I finally got to within sight of the finish line and put on a smile - so grateful to be finishing!- and ran across.

Splits: 13:36, 14:02, 1:42

Official race time: 2:25:35.

Post-Race
I walked to a stop, and knew that I could not bend over to untie my shoe and take of my timing chip without toppling over. Fortunately, a volunteer untied my shoe and removed the chip. Then, I managed to walk over and say good job to Clarinda, find M. and then get to the food before sinking onto the grass. I put my head between my knees and breathed and then ate some bread and a cookie and drank some water and Powerade. Then I felt stable enough to make it to the car.

Racing Reflections
I have to admit that I spent some time yesterday feeling disappointed and sulking a little bit. It didn't help that I wasn't feeling very well - low grade headache all day and some queasiness. However, all in all, I think that I learned from this race. Even though it didn't go according to plan, I know that under different circumstances I would have finished strong. I could have run a negative split. I ran the second half just about 8 minutes slower than the first half and that was largely due to the walking that I did during the last two miles when walking was really the smart thing to do. I did enjoy myself during the first 11 miles. There will be other half-marathons in my future, and I will continue to become a stronger, better, and more confident runner. My PR is out there, and I will run it down. So I will leave this race in my past, taking away from it things that worked well - carrying my own fluids during a hot and humid summer race (I'm really glad that I did this because the first two water stops were quite far apart) and things that did not - only taking one GU and not being careful about storing it properly.

I would consider doing this race again - the swag was awesome - a reusable bag and a t-shirt - no paper crap that I don't give a shit about and have to recycle. I love the idea and the execution of a green race - everything is recycled, reused or composted. I loved that they had bins for old shoes to be recycled and for unwanted race medals to be donated. The volunteers were plentiful and friendly.

So am I a total asshole for wishing that walkers would get to the right and/or start at the back? I know that some people use walk breaks as part of their racing strategy, doing 10:1 or 9:1, but the number of people that I saw walking 2-3-4 side by side during this race seemed ridiculous to me. I'm glad that so many people were out there participating, but it seems like there was a disregard for basic race etiquette.

14 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the walkers!  There were walkers walking 5 abreast in my half marathon and it was incredibly annoying to try to get around them!

    I'm glad you are feeling better and you'll get that PR next time!  Way to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear.  I'm sorry to hear that your race was disappointing.  I do think there is something to be said for persevering through difficult conditions--that would be the story of my work life right now :-)  And I've definitely had races where I felt as though I should be able to perform better, but my body was not having it.  During a 5K race in college, I felt like I should have been racing with strength and confidence, but I kept falling further and further behind people with whom I was racing, people who were at my running level.  It turned out I was nursing a leg injury and didn't know it at the time.

    No, I don't think you are an asshole for asking the walkers to make way for runners!  They should start at the back AND keep to the right.  That's the courteous thing to do in a race setting.

    I'm optimistic that you have not hit the peak of your racing season this year.  Eyes on the prize, Raquelita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you're not an asshole. During my last marathon, I had to weave in and out of walkers from the half marathon (it was a combined half/full) at Mile 20. I was NOT a happy camper. Like I had any excess energy to expend doing that at Mile 20!!!

    Well, shoot. I am sorry the race didn't go as planned. It's hard when you have lots of goals, and you don't quite reach them. It sounds like you learned a lot from the race though, and hey... You finished! Congrats!

    You're absolutely right. Your PR is out there. You'll get there! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, you are not an a-hole for wanting walkers to start in the back.  That is rude for them to take up the path like that.  I haven't experienced that during a race, but I Have when running the lakes and even in a non-race environment, it's rude to take up the whole path. 

    Some races are just not our races.  The whole dropping the gu thing sucks majorly.  I had a TERRIBLE race in DC which involved puking twice and I was mentally beating myself up over it and then I was like - whatever, you finished, no one cares about your time but you.  So I let it go, it took awhile, but I know there will be other races.  ;) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. to dream the KIMpossible dreamAugust 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM

    The last couple of races I've done, I've walked and I can't possibly understand the 2 to 4 peeps walking side by side.  To me, a race isn't about sticking with your buddies so much as it is about doing your best.  My point is that they should break it up and do their own race.  I can't stand being blocked!!!

    That's scary about your last two miles.  Glad you were able to get some fluids and food to feel better!  You still had a very nice race - I think it is extremely difficult to PR in the summer with this awful heat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you just ran out of juice! It's OK to be disappointed, but I know people who stop for lesser reasons. You took stock of situation, slowed down and still pushed through! I always take multiple gels with me, sometimes I might take just one, sometimes more. Because I had the same experience as you I put my gels in different locations. All in all I think you did really well, and look, you are smiling as you cross the finish.

    IMHO, I think walkers in groups should be asked by race officials to leave! I often will "brush" up against them as I pass. Rude? Maybe, but it gets the point across.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pisses me off when walkers start with the runners. There is nothing worse during a race than having to dodge assholes that are walking in groups the first few miles of a race. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I walked a 10k with a friend and tried very hard to stay out of the way of the runners, but noticed that other walkers didn't notice or seem to care that people were trying to run by them. I thought walkers were supposed to stay to the far right and go last so they don't get in the way. Good job on finishing despite feeling like crap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! I tell ya, running in heat and humidity is just a completely different ball game. I am a completely different runner when it is hot out. I think you did great! It's hard to anticipate everything your body will need on any particular day, especially when it is hot out. As for the walkers, I agree with you. I have no qualms whatsoever with people taking the walk breaks—I certainly have done it—but walking abreast of one another, walking in the middle of the road or pathway, or even just stopping short without checking over your shoulder to make sure you aren't going to cause a pileup are things everyone should consider as simple race day etiquette. But again, congrats!! You did it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im just so impressed you keep running these things. As a woman who feels utterly out of shape right now, i wish i could find your level of commitment and motivation. And walkers should stay the hell out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did great! Especially the last 2 miles. I had a DNF in April at my first half marathon because of the heat but I had to stop at about 7 K (around 4 miles) because I fainted almost 4 times. I think you made the right decision by walking/running at the end.

    I agree on the walkers. I'm a slow runner and sometimes walk too and that's why I never start in the front at a race and keep to the right during the race so the faster people can easily pass me. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great write-up! I haven't written mine yet. :( I wholly agree with you on the walkers. I ran 10/1 splits myself and always looked behind me and moved to the right when my walk break was starting. For the most part, I noticed people doing the same as me, so the rude walkers must have been more towards the back where you started out. Lame.

    Awesome job finishing despite your difficulties and great job getting past the sulking phase and moving to the what-can-I-learn-from-this phase.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry the race didn't go like you had hope. That can really be disappointing. :0( You have the right attitude though, there will be other, better races! Sometimes it just isn't the day to PR. But you finished, and lady, respect the distance, you ran 13,1 miles. That is ana accomplishment!
    Walkers, yes, I think so many people just aren't aware of race etiquette. I wish maybe it would be included in swag bags or race emails. There are so many people new to races, it would make things safer to have everyone informed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading this but didn't enjoy reading about all the troubles. 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.