I was a little bit nervous about how training would go this week because it was the first week of classes, and I'm adjusting to a new routine and also still trying to safeguard a few hours for myself each week for research and writing no matter what else is going on. It wasn't a perfect week in terms of training, but it was a good week, overall, and I got all but one work out in.
Week 8 is in the books:
Monday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual 4 miles nice and easy around my 'hood. I had hoped to get up early and run with my group, but, since I was still awake at 11pm on Sunday night, I didn't think I could get up at 4:30am and make it through the first day back to teaching, etc.
Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. I met up with my girl Suzie for some lifting and ellipticalling at the Y. It was delightful.
Wednesday - scheduled 6 miles easy. Actual 6 miles easy with my friend Jana, who blogs over at Running-Vegetarian. It was hot and humid, so we were glad when it was done, but it was great to have company for six sweaty miles.
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. Although my arms were still tender from lifting on Tuesday for the first time in two weeks, I met up again with S. for 30 min. of weights and 30 min. of cardio. I did the elliptical again.
Friday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual 0 miles. I had a morning meeting and I wanted to get some hours of research in before a delightful annual doctor's apt. in the afternoon. I definitely did not feel up for running afterwards.
Saturday - scheduled 18 miles LSD. Actual 18 miles. I had company for all but the first mile and the last mile, and this run definitely boosted my confidence in spite of having hip cramps again in the final four miles. They weren't as bad as last Saturday, but they were still problematic and definitely slowed my last couple of miles down by about 90 seconds/mile. I think that the running shoes I'm wearing (Brooks Ghost 4s) might be the culprit. This is a new problem, and it has happened only on the two long runs that I've worn these shoes.... But let's focus on the positive. This was probably my fastest average pace for a LDS over 13.1 miles ever at 10:41min/mile. At 13.1 miles I was only 2 minutes off my half-marathon PR (and almost 10 minutes under my finishing time at Urban Wildlands a couple of weeks ago), and it was a beautiful run - starting with a starry sky and a sunrise and ending with chit chat and donuts with running friends.
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles - rest. Actual 45 minutes of yoga. I wanted to stretch that hip out before I iced it.
Up next for Week 9:
Monday - scheduled 5 miles easy.
Tuesday - scheduled 3 miles at 5K pace.
Wednesday - scheduled 6 miles easy.
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest.
Friday - scheduled 4 miles easy.
Saturday - scheduled 19 miles LSD.
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles - rest.
Great job! That is a really impressive 18 miler.
ReplyDeleteYou had a great week! Definitely keep looking for the culprit on the cramps..get that ironed out now. But you're really sticking to the schedule nicely and setting yourself up for a great marathon!
ReplyDeletegreat job on the 18 miler! Hope you figure out the hip pain though.
ReplyDeleteI biked the Chicago Marathon once as support team for a runner :) You're fierce!
ReplyDeleteYou had a great training week! I have 20 on the schedule this weekend but might switch it up a little. We'll see. Have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteYay for your 18 miler!! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteNice job!! I pretty much had the exact same experience as you during my 18 miler this weekend...hips were on fire!! I was chatting with my running buddy about this and how I was worried how they would act during 26.2 miles. We reminded ourselves that our legs will be much "fresher" when we do the actual marathon since we will be tapering and hardly running any mileage the week before the big race...that boosted my confidence a bit more.
ReplyDelete18 MILES! Wow. I think that's all I have to say. 18 MILES! Very nice job. I'm getting excited for your marathon--the long-run distances are creeping up there. (Okay, I had a little more to say.)
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the 18 mile run and all the rest of your training! I wish I had someone who lived close to me I could run with. It would be fun and really make the time fly by.
ReplyDeleteWoot! Happy to hear the 18-miler went well. That's great!
ReplyDeleteNice training week! You are really doing great!
ReplyDeleteNice work on the long run! Bummer about the hip cramps though. :( Hate things like that as I get paranoid it will happen on race day. I had some hip pain on my 20 miler but no pain whatsoever on race day, luckily, but i sure was nervous it would bug me!
ReplyDelete