Thursday, August 25, 2011

On Solitary and Group Running

The other night my friend Suzie and I were at a little get together, and another friend asked us if we had run together yet since S. had returned to town after being away for most of the summer. We said that we hadn't yet, and then Suzie joked that I had cheated on her this summer with other runners. I laughed and said that I had indeed been promiscuous.

Most of my teenage and adult life I've been active - either going to the gym or running. However, I've not always liked the more social aspect of getting my sweat on, though. I played volleyball and basketball in middle school, but in high school I abandoned team sports and spent several years doing martial arts. In college I went to the gym, but I always went either on my own or with maybe one or two other people. The same for grad school, and I didn't always enjoy running into friends at the gym. I was there to get Michelle Obama arms not to chit chat about seminars or dissertations or departmental politics. Even when I started running more seriously and joined TNT for my first marathon, I tended to avoid group training runs and preferred to go out solo or with just one friend.

This past year that has slowly begun to change. During the fall, winter, and spring, I did meet some other runners and went to group runs a couple of times, but still found myself training mostly on my own or running once a week with my friend Angi or my girl Suzie. This summer, though, I have suddenly craved the companionship of other runners. I was tired of running alone all the time, so I joined a running group. I also sought out other new running buddies with whom to hit the pavement. I've been, as I said, promiscuous. I've loved it. My group has been kind and welcoming to me. And more generally, the camaraderie is awesome. Shitty runs are much easier to endure when I feel like I'm part of a pack. The word relay has entered my thoughts for the first time ever.

However, 5:15 am group runs are only going to work for me a one or two days a week now that the academic year has started. Teaching an 8am class means that I need to be on campus by about 7:30 and most days I'll need more than hour to get ready. I also tend to work later into the evenings, which makes going to bed early enough to wake up at 4:30 and then function for the entire day tricky to say the least.  So while I will still run with my group when I can, and hopefully with other running buddies (maybe even together) one other day a week, and while I have come to prefer running in the pack, I am glad that I can still find joy in solitary running. There's still something very zen and rejuvenating to me about hearing nothing but the sound of my breathing and my own footfalls.

Are you a solitary or a group runner? Have you avoided running groups or do you try to avoid solo runs?

15 comments:

  1. I used to be all about running in a group whenever possible to combat my extreme boredom with running but now I really enjoy runs by myself...gives me time to think about whatever I want, what I have coming up in the week or just enjoy some good music.  I still BEG people to come on my long runs with me because running long distances is always better with a friend to suffer with. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soo funny you wrote about this TODAY!!!

    So I have ALWAYS been a group runner or at least one other all my life. I hated running solo. As I have gotten older I have been trying to get out there on my own and am getting better at it.

    We have had company in town from out of state and one of the guests is a runner. I told him that I was running this morning and asked if he wanted to join me (at 5AM). I was being polite. I really just wanted my morning run to myself! He didn't end up running with me... Crazy how we change....I can do usually do 5 miles solo and anything longer I like to have at least 1 buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it is because I haven't always had the best experience joining bike groups that I am reticent to join a running group....or maybe I just prefer going solo period. There are times that I think it might be nice to do a group run but there rarely seems to be a time when I feel like being social AND running at the same time. Those rare occasions are usually on my schedule as Race Day.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only run alone, mostly because I'm sucky. But I do find that having a gym buddy or a yoga date is great. 

    That said, none of that shit happens as early as it does for you. Mad props.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do both.  I typically run with a group or partner on the weekends, and solo during the week.  Mixing it up is good.  I really appreciate the company on long runs or doing speedwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer to run solo and it is easy since I have no one close by that wants to run with me. Sometimes I think it would be nice to do long runs with a group to help make the time fly by though. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started as a solo runner. Graduated to running buddies. Then joined an amazing running club (yes. shitty runs are SO much easier when there's a pack of you running together)... Then I moved away, and I am back to solo miles. I miss my group terribly, but I also have more time to think -- which I use to dream up ways to badger... err... challenge my students. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done both solitary and group runs, and I think my preference depends on the type of run.  I love doing speedwork with other people--it's really motivating for me, and I like being supportive of everyone else.  On long runs or easier short runs, I tend to prefer to be by myself because I don't always like the pressure to maintain a conversation.  But with the right person, I might enjoy having a long run buddy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoga dates can be nice.  I wish we lived in the same place so that we could have them.  Thanks for the props.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having more time to think up ways to challenge students is not necessarily a bad thing.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always always been a solitary runner until this year.  A lot of people have told mem they do not understand how I trained for 2 marathons alone, but it just seemed normal to me.  But this year I wanted something different.   I have running friends scattered all around the US and Canada, but none in my very own city and I wanted to change that.  I can't wait I have met any 'close friends' through running, besides one guy who I think I would stay in touch with, and the coaches, but I still like to run wiht this group as it pushes me.  And it's really nice to not have to plan anything.  Ijust show up and they tell me what to do.  ;)  I am really excited for Amber to meet some of the people in the running group this weekend.  Unfort the run they are doing is not very scenic until they are 10 miles in, so yah, we will not be running much wiht them as I want her to see the 'pretty parts' of Mpls! 

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a solo runner mostly because I can't find a running group that runs at a similar pace as me - they are either way too fast or too slow. I think I would join a running group if I could find something that would be around my level but still challenge me somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definitely a group runner!  My problem, especially these days, is that I don't like to feel rushed or like I have to keep a pace that isn't appropriate for me.  On the other hand, it is a lot easier for me to keep an even pace in group running.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I avoided running with anyone except my sister (for the occasional run--she's faster than me when she's been training) until I met you, dear! I still find solo runs to be meditative and am happy that we can have an "open" relationship. I find the variety of sometimes running solo and sometimes with a friend to be really positive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certain times I love/need some training buddies, but other times i definitely crave the solitude :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.