On Saturday I'll be running a half-marathon in the suburbs of Minneapolis. I had a session with Cindra Kamphoff, PhD of the The Runner's Edge to discuss my goals for the race and strategies for achieving them earlier this week. One of the things that I wanted to do was to create a sort of mental map of the race. We talked about my pre-race strategy for hydration, nutrition, etc. Then Cindra asked me to talk about what I wanted to achieve at this half-marathon and urged me to set multiple goals for my race. Essentially they are:
1. PR - this means beating a time of 2:14:32 and hopefully coming in under 2:13:59
2. Run the race progressively so that I have a negative split
3. Focus on remembering that I am a runner and believing that I can perform as I hope, running continuously except through water stops
4. Enjoy the experience and finish with a smile on my face
Cindra asked me to honestly rate my confidence level in accomplishing each of my goals on a scale of 1-10. Since I rated all of them higher than a 7, she suggested that signified that I recognized them as achievable goals. We then spent some time discussing optimism and how to cultivate it in regards to running (and other areas of life). During our session, I took lots of notes. Then I came home and created a sort of mental map. Inspired both by my session and AM's post about race mapping, I printed out a course map and then jotted down a number of notes to myself on it - reminders to start smart, use my mantras to push through challenging moments in the race, and to finish strong. I tried to visualize how I might feel at certain points in the race and wrote down what I thought would be most helpful. For example, I've started out a few recent races too fast because I got caught up in the excitement of the start line, so I am reminding myself to start smart and remember my race strategy, to run the first miles conservatively so that I set myself up for a negative split and a strong finish.
I admit that I am little worried that race day might be humid. Currently the forecast is calling for a high temp in the mid 80s (which I'll take!) and a chance of thunderstorms for Saturday. I can't control the weather, but I can control my hydration plan - I'm going to take my Camelbak, which I usually leave behind on race days and just rely on the water stops - and still take my best shot at running my best half-marathon yet!
What is your approach to setting goals for races? Have you ever mentally mapped out a race?
I can't wait to hear how you do! Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteRay- I have run this race before and it is awesome. You loop around on flatter trails and you are hidden from the elements for much of the race. I remember being surprised I was in the Bllomington area at all. Have a great race and think positive, you'll meet those goals
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea to create a mental map like that. I like how you listed your goals and rated them. I have run a 10-mile race when the temps were in the upper 80s. I had to reset my goals a bit on race morning, knowing I would need to run a bit slower than I had planned, but I knew that finishing strong and feeling good were more important than meeting a time goal. What I did was really push the fluids the day before the race. I made sure I got my 64 ounces of plain ol' water and then some all the day before. I also drank a big glass of water right when I woke up on race day. I think it really helped with my hydration during the race, and I was able to keep it together. Good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it.
ReplyDeleteGoals are a work in progress for me... Sometimes I feel like we set ourselves up getting stuck on our "times." I have to say... When I got back into running in 2009, I didn't have a Garmin. I didn't obsess over my pace, and I ran by feel. When I ran my first half marathon back (Jan 2010), I still didn't have a Garmin and ran by feel. I was pleasantly surprised each mile as I did the mental math and ended up running a negative split and a time waaaaaaaay faster than I anticipated. I wanted to simply break 2:00, and I ended up running a 1:48. Couldn't believe it.
ReplyDeleteNow I feel like I am stuck on "times" and lost the "feel" aspect. I'm always staring at my Garmin and concerned with my times.
So I don't know. I do know I'm rambling... I do really like your #3 and #4 goals. That's exactly what I did in that first race back and what I need to get back to.
Good luck in your race!!!!
I love this post, R. Your goals sound so similar to mine for the last half-marathon I ran! How funny :-) I was aiming to beat two hours, but other than the time difference, everything sounds similar: don't go out too fast, pick up the pace as the race warms up, run continuously, and ENJOY IT! During training, I developed a lot of mantras, which I think helped plant positive seeds in my mental garden.
ReplyDeleteRun strong, run smart, and stay relaxed. You can do this. And I can't wait to hear all about it! Good luck, speedy!
You are going to kick ass R! I love all the notes and memos. So much like an academic! Good luck, breath, and remember to smile when you cross the finish line!
ReplyDeleteThat is a really good idea! I have neve rmapped out a race, but I have thought about my racing strategy in terms of how fast I will do certain parts.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I did during my marathon was take my pace bracelet and write someone's name down fo revery mile. That mile was then dedicated to that person and when I was struggling, I thougght of fun memories. I put my 2 friends who were pregnant on the hilly miles and when I struggled, I thought about how running the hill was so much easier than labor, and that got me thorugh the tough spots. :)
Thanks so much, DeeDra! I'm planning on wearing my new headband. :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't set a time goal for my April half-marathon or really for my last marathon, but I'd like to see what I can do this time in terms of pace. I get what you mean, though, and I sometimes run faster and/or happier without my Garmin because I don't get obsessed with checking my wrist.
ReplyDeleteWell, you know that they say great minds think alike. :) Thanks for the good wishes, R-A!
ReplyDeleteI love the dedicated mile idea, and I think I might just have to do that for my October marathon!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a fun idea to dedicate miles and use memories to help push you through. I may steal this at some point.
ReplyDeleteOk, now you seem *way* more prepared that I am. :-) AND so speedy. Good luck with your goals! Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteGood luck tomorrow! You are so well prepared!
ReplyDeleteWow, I am very impressed by your planning! I know a few people who just try to run for training before the race and I'm sure they haven't through it out like you have!!! You'll do great :)
ReplyDeleteSounds great!! You sound like had confidence and that's awesome! I hope the race went well! Can't wait to hear about it!! :0)
ReplyDelete