Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mad for Mozart

I mentioned in my recent race report that M. and I went to the Minnesota Opera on Saturday to see Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutti.  Normally, I would avoid a late night the night before a race (and normally I would watch college football on a fall Saturday), but I love the opera and only get to go once or twice a year.

We had dinner at PazzaLuna in St. Paul, and it was delicious. We didn't have a reservation and it was packed with other opera-goers, but we were able to sit at the bar overlooking the chefs' station and eat tasty salads, pizza, and pasta before our night of Mozart. After dinner, we walked the couple of blocks over to the Ordway Theater and indulged in some people watching before the performance. Although I saw opera-goers in jeans and more casual outfits, it was fun to see a number of elegant ball gowns and tuxedos. I wore a fun dress and took the opportunity to wear a pair of Fluevog boots that I purchased during my trip to Seattle last month.


The performance was fantastic. In the past few years, I have seen some very minimalist set designs and costuming - no doubt as a result of the fact that the arts have been slammed during this recession. This was not the case with this performance. It involved stage machinery that created paths and streams and lavish costumes. The soprano, Jacquelyn Wagner, has one of the strongest voices that I've heard. Though I enjoyed the faux tragic elements, M. and I both agreed that the comedic elements were done especially well. If you happen to be in Minneapolis this coming weekend and you like opera or have ever wanted to go, I highly recommend catching the Saturday night performance.

Have you ever been to the opera? Do you get all gussied up to go to the opera or the theater?

9 comments:

  1. I think it's fun to make a big night of it. If the opera isn't a place to dress up anymore, then what is? Kills me that people go in jeans! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I like my opera with lavish costumes so this sounds great. I usually hit the theater on student discount night and no one is ever dressed up so I don't either but that makes me a bit sad...hopefully that changes.

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those boots! I have never been to the opera, but I DO get dressed up to go to a Broadway show, a play or a Symphony. I mean, if not there, where?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good friend (clearly much smarter than me) convinced me to subscribe to an opera season with her... That was three years ago. I'm HOOKED. (And yes, I dress. I am not a fan of jeans and flip-flops at the opera... I don't care about attire in other settings. I don't even have an issue with jeans at the symphony. So, I don't know why denim bothers me in the opera context, but it does.)

    Sartorial story: I once saw a woman walk into the opera in white short-shorts, a white low-cut sweater, and white thigh-high boots. She looked fabulous, but not in the right setting. She and her man-friend were double-fisting rum-and-cokes before the performance. They didn't come back after intermission. (Go figure.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute dress!

    I have never been to the opera before but when I was younger, my mom and I would go to a lot of musicals together downtown. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too cute!  It sounds like a lovely evening--there is nothing like a great evening out and some good art to make you feel like this world is a pretty great place, despite all its problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to an opera although I do think it's something everybody has to do once in her/his life. So maybe one day I will.

    I do go to the theater and don't dress up parcticularly but I'm also not wearing my oldest clothes.

    Looks like you had a great night out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been to the opera in a long time, but I did go with a friend once.  We used it as an excuse to get dressed up and I believe we had appetizers at the St. Paul Hotel, which was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your ensemble! And I love going to the opera. I definitely use that and the symphony and the theater in general as an excuse to dress up. So does Chris so it makes it even more fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.