This weekend M. and I headed to the Twin Cities for dinner, a night at the opera to see Cosi Fan Tutti, and so that I could participate in the Women Run the Cities 10 Miler. I had registered for this race several months ago and had envisioned it as a fun way to do a taper run heading into the countdown for Chicago. Regular readers know that due to the issues with my IT band, though, I won't be running the Chicago Marathon. The past week or so I've been struggling to come to terms with the fact that this 10 mile race was going to be my last of the fall and have been bouncing back and forth between acceptance and frustrated negativity. I have to admit that part of me secretly hoped that I would line up on race day and nail 10 pain-free miles and that I would be able to put Chicago back on the table. However, that was not the case.
Yesterday morning I woke up after a few hours of sleep, dressed, and downed a cup of coffee and some breakfast. M. and I headed down to Minnehaha Park, where I met up with Lisa of
Lisa's Yarns and Kyria of
Travel Spot. It was so nice to meet both of these awesome ladies. After a photo op, we lined up to start. A few weeks ago, Lisa and I had discussed running the first couple of miles together, but she has been smoking up the pavement lately and I am obviously not in top form. Kyria is also speedy, so we all wished each other luck and took off to run our separate races.
 |
| With Kyria and Lisa before the race |
 |
| Hundreds of awesome women, ready to run |
My hip felt tight from the start and had a dull ache going by mile 2. By mile 5, my hip was cramping. Knowing that I could finish the last 5 miles - having finished several long runs with similar hip pain - and knowing that this was my last race of the fall, I gutted this one out. I was mentally in the zone and, while I did do some walking and stretching to try to shake the hip out and reduce the cramping at various points, my conditioning and overall ability to run by feel are definitely positives to take away from this training season. I don't know what my splits were because my Garmin died earlier this week (RIP, old friend.), but I ran with the 10:30 pacer for a couple of miles and stayed ahead of the 11:00 min/mile pacer the entire time. My official time was 1:45:45, averaging out to a 10:34 min/mile.
 |
| With my arms raised in victory, but sadly mostly obscured by another runner |
The course was beautiful - starting in Minnehaha Park, winding up to the Franklin Avenue Bridge, and coming back down the East River Parkway, before finishing back in the park. The sun was shining, the leaves were just beginning to change colors; it was cool but not too cold; and it was just an amazing experience to run 10 miles with over a thousand other women. The course had a few challenging inclines, but it felt very fast to me. There was a beautiful view of the Minneapolis skyline from one of the bridges, and I wished that I had been able to snap a picture of it. Maybe it's because it was my first 10 mile race, maybe it was because I wasn't constantly checking my Garmin, but the miles just ticked by even with the hip pain. Probably, though, it was because the energy on the course was awesome. There weren't many spectators, but the volunteers were fantastic (no fingers in cups here!) and there was a lot of camaraderie among the participants, as a number of teams were running and many friends were running together and chatting away the miles. I would love to do this race again next year!
After the race, I felt good about my time but was hurting pretty badly. I spent a few minutes stretching and drank a bottle of water. Then, M. and I headed out to meet back up with Lisa and Kyria at
Victor's 1959 Cafe for a delicious brunch. I refueled on the Cuban scramble and split a mango pancake with my husband. We chatted about running, jobs, travel, and languages. Not surprisingly, I failed to take any photos at brunch, but it was a great time. Afterwards, we headed our separate ways, and I came home to do some class prep for the week and some other work that I needed to get done.
How was your weekend? Any races? Any fantastic meals?
Good for you gutting it out. It will get better, just keep working on it. You have a refreshing attitude don't lose hope!
ReplyDeleteI"m glad you were able to get through the race and had fun doing it! You will be back next year and feeling good, to be sure. Mango pancakes? Sounds way too good!
ReplyDeleteWow, you did amazing! I actually did the 5k yesterday and was really impressed with how I did after not even training. My friend and I are planning on doing the 10mi next year! Yesterday morning was really a wonderful morning for a run. Perfect temps, perfect course, perfect everything! Glad you enjoyed yourself and did so well. :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic race!! Congrats! I know you're going to come back so strong from this injury. So jealous of your weather and that breakfast, yuum.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a beautiful and fun race! I'm glad you had a good weekend, as I know that it must have been bittersweet to be running your last race for the season. Stay positive about the hip--I know it's hard to be sidelined by an injury when you've worked so hard.
ReplyDeleteGreat recap!! It really was a beautiful course. It was awesome to meet you and your husband! We will definitely have to meet up again. I am glad you brought this race to my attention - I would not have found it otherwise!!
ReplyDeleteGreat job in your race! Hope the hip feels better soon.
ReplyDeleteNice work! (And pretty photos!)
ReplyDeleteWay to go! I hope the hip is feeling better!
ReplyDeleteI may or may not have cried about it during the walk back to the car. I was glad it was such a wonderful way to end the season, but sad and frustrated that my season is ending now.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt I will envy your weather in a couple of months....
ReplyDeleteSo, you went to the opera the night BEFORE a race? That's hardcore, R! I'm glad you got through this one and I think you were able to do so because of all your training, like you said. Congrats!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend! I am glad I got to meet you and be a part of it! I have a photo of us at brunch. I will send it to you! (none of the hub though -- only the girls!)
ReplyDeleteI know you are disappointed about that being your last race, but take it as a blessing and go have fun pursuing other activities and come back with a vengeance next year!
Oh yay, I'm glad you got to race despite the injury! Sounds like a fun day. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know how to express what I feel for you other to say quite plainly, I am sorry youn are hurt. It sucks. I've been there. And I know how frustrating and disappointing it is.
ReplyDeleteBut sugar, I LOOOOOOOVE your attitude! I'm so glad you were able to complete this race and see the positives. I know that is difficult. Good for you!