Sunday, September 4, 2011

A New Name and Adventures in Minimalism

After some thought and some hemming and hawing, I decided to change the name of my blog to "The Running Historian". The URL will remain the same, as will the focus. I'll still post about running, writing, goals, the occasional kitchen experiment, travels, and miscellaneous musings about yoga, teaching, puppies, and shoes.

This is part of a more wide-sweeping series of gradual changes that I'm attempting to make. I am far from a minimalist, and I tend to be turning increasingly into a pack-rat as I get older. I have stacks of academic clutter everywhere (books, papers to grade, journal articles, notes to myself), a closet jam-packed full of clothes and shoes, and a fridge that constantly requires master Tetris skills to get something into or out of it. But I yearn to become better organized and less like an episode of Hoarders in the making. So I'm taking baby steps. About a month ago I decided that I needed to strictly enforce a rule that for every item that comes into my closet another item must go out. This was after my partner (gently) mocked me for continuing to wear holey underwear after purchasing new ones.

After throwing out a number of my old knickers, I decided that the volume in my closet is just too great. And over the past couple of weeks I've spent a few minutes here and there taking inventory of my closet and my dresser and bagging up some nice but unloved clothing to take to Goodwill. I just went through my shoe collection today and purged a number of pairs that I haven't worn in a long time and can't foresee wearing any time in the next year. And I changed the name of my blog. Like I said, baby steps -- but steps nonetheless.

Now I just have to get those bags off to Goodwill....

What about you? Are you a minimalist maven or a borderline hoarder? What organizational tips do you have if you are in the former category for someone who tends toward the latter category?

14 comments:

  1. I HIGHLY recommend the book "Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui" for all your minimalizing needs. I read it a few years ago, when I was first trying to quit hoarding, and it made a world of difference (even for someone like me, who is not so into things like feng shui and other New Age-y stuff). It's short and sweet and a little hokey (okay, a lot hokey) but it will definitely inspire you on your journey.

    I like the idea of getting rid of something every time you bring something new home. Moving last month helped with our clutter clearing a lot - thinking about whether I want to move something half way across the country often meant I left it behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reading rec! This year was the first one in a long time that I didn't move house (some years I've moved as many as 4 times), and I'm pretty sure that has contributed to the sheer amount of crap that I have allowed myself to accumulate in the past 13 months.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to declutter also.  I like the rule about removing something for everything new that goes in the closet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always feels so good to purge. I'm a bit of both. I like to save memorable stuff, things from races, etc but then I'm pretty good at chucking clothes I haven't worn in a year or so. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG the timing of this post is epic.  I just spent the weekend at my parents' cabin - they are emptying the contents as it will be bulldozed this week so they can build their retirement home there this fall/winter (the current cabin is really rustic and not really liveable year round).  ANyways, so we packed up their stuff and today said to my brother, "do you sort of feel like you are trapped in an episode of hoarders?"  My mom is a neat freak, but she kept A LOT of crap I never would have kept.  I am sort of minimalist, but not when it comes to certain things like cardigans and books.  ;)  But when I pakced for my last move, I got rid of a TON of stuff.  I donated bags of clothes to goodwill and sold some clothes to a store that is like Plato's Closet for professional woman.  It felt SO good.  I love organizing.  It makes me feel in control...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joannaruns.blogspot.comSeptember 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM

    I am NOT a hoarder. I enjoy the purge. For me, the emotional and psychological cost of clutter and full closets simply is not worth the $12 I might spend to replace whatever it is I'm considering throwing out because I haven't used it in 2 years. And even if I love something, I have an absolute cut-off of 3 years--if it hasn't been used, it's out.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaargh--wish I was present as you part with a few of those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cleaning out my closet would be terrifying, which means I probably should.  I tend towards the hoarding because I'm always afraid I'll regret throwing something away (hint, I never do).  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terri, what shoe size do you wear?  Maybe I could send a pair or two your way.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the worst of my tendencies have been kept in check by the fact that I have moved at least once a year for the past decade -- until this year. I tend to be much more willing to part with things when I'm having to transport them, but between not moving this summer (which is great in a lot of ways) and having a home that is really larger than we need, I have been pretty lax about accumulating things.  

    ReplyDelete
  11. Minimalist all the way. Even so, it's very difficult to keep clutter at bay. It's the first world contagion. We have so much choice, it over runs us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blog looks great!  I like a clean, uncluttered lay-out, and yours looks wonderful.

    I find the topic of minimalism fascinating.  I tend to be a bit of a hoarder (just a bit--nothing like what we see on the tv show!), but I keep myself in check with my shopping habits.  I'm pretty strict about shopping and watching my wallet, mostly because my parents were (and are) very frugal, and their example left a strong impression on me.  That being said, I am more lenient about spending money than they are.

    One of my favorite ways to think about clothing purchases is cost per wear.  I want my cost per wear to be $1 or less (preferably much less!), and this encourages me to really wear and enjoy my closet.

    Good luck with your decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I type this I am in the midst of paring down and re-organizing our bedroom and J. is finally putting things up on our walls. I'm also using it as an opportunity to take inventory of my wardrobe before I start teaching again . . .  apparently I have NO tops that aren't cardigans. I'm also trying to let go of some  pieces, some of which are investment pieces, that are too small and have been too small for the last 2 years.  I feel like I need to give myself a time limit and then get rid of the bin even if some of those pieces are sentimental.  I have already told myself I will not take the contents of that bin, if they do not fit, with me on the next move. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it, The Running Historian!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.