Friday, September 2, 2011

September Goals

August was a really busy but good month for me and I have high hopes that September will be, as well.  I have some impending October deadlines and there's nothing like a date circled in red to stoke the fires of productivity.

For those of you who don't go gaga for goals here's a ridiculously cute Bailey picture.

Writing/Professional Goals
- Finish writing up my plan for how I will meet my institution's criteria for the upcoming year. I have to admit that last year I viewed this plan as bureaucratic busy work.  This year I'm trying to have a better attitude and use it to my own advantage to help set up mile markers for the year to come.
- Continue note-taking and outlining a conference paper and a journal article.  I want to have a rough draft of the former by the end of the month. That means continuing to carve out, guard, and make use of time for research and writing a few days a week.
- Make inquiries about reviewing another book for an academic journal in my field.

Health/Fitness Goals
- Do something at least once a week to cultivate my risk-taking abilities and my ability to deal with things not going quite as planned and/or failure and rejection.  I was definitely inspired by A-M's personal growth goal this week and decided to shamelessly copy and adapt the idea.
- Run 130 miles in the month of September.  My marathon training is peaking over the next couple of weeks before the taper begins toward the end of this month.  I want to log all the miles on my schedule and enjoy the process.
- Continue to cross-train and do yoga 2-3 times a week.
- Maintain my food journal every day for the entire month of September. Sticker calendar, ahoy!

What are your goals for the month of September? Any PRs or new distances that you are gunning for? Writing projects you hope to finish?  Risks you want to take?

13 comments:

  1. Joannaruns.blogspot.comSeptember 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

    I, too, am learning to take my institution's seemingly bureaucratic guidelines more seriously. Turns out people do notice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so much that I didn't think people would or would not notice, but more that I interpreted it pretty rigidly last year (in a sort of this is boring paperwork kind of way) instead of making it serve me and my goals in more meaningful ways.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a ridiculously cute picture of Bailey! Is that a little dinosaur he's cuddle up with? I love it when my dog does this.

    Good luck with all your goals.

    My biggest goal for September is to be uber-productive with my schoolwork. I have a ton to accomplish by January 1st, and while that's a ways off, it will be here sooner than I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a toy lizard that she got at the vet's when she went for her yearly shots a few weeks ago.  She usually isn't very into stuffed animals, but this one she actually does play with sometimes.  

    Good luck with all your schoolwork!  

    Are you by chance doing Women Run the Cities?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to run 100+ miles this month.  I don't have a prescribed training plan - I just do what the run club coacheds tell me to do, but I imagine I will hit over 100?  Also, I would like to PR at the 10k I am doing in 2 weeks.  And then enjoy the 10 mile run at the end of the month.  I need to email you about that as I have another idea for brunch!  It's a Cuban place that is close by that is supposed to be awesome.  And I think it will be a little bit less hectic than the other place I had in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute pupper doggy!

    Best wishes with your september goals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cuban brunch would also be awesome!  I trust your judgment.  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo-hoo, sticker calendar!  It's the star chart's cousin.  I have to say, the motivational calendar/chart has really served me well this summer.  It's really nice to have a tangible way of tracking your goals and accomplishments.  My star chart makes me happy whenever I see it :-)

    I want to get some 30-minute runs into my work-out schedule this month and keep doing some speedwork, mostly because I love speedwork and find it enjoyable.  And I really, REALLY need to get some software issues sorted out at work--that's a looming ASAP kind of deadline.

    Happy weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck this month!  My goal is to get another round of mice started and get the intro written for my next paper.  Oh, and schedule the committee meeting I'm still putting off.  Why must I have such a deathly fear of my committee?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great September. My mileage is peaking this month too with 2 20-22 milers planned and then one more in October before taper time. My goals are mainly to just not stress about this move and try and fit in as many runs in as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sticker calendar wants to have coffee and talk about Chronicle articles with your star chart.  :)

    Good luck getting those software issues sorted out!  Those kinds of things are always so annoying to have to take time to deal with...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 130 miles. That's impressive. I barely logged half that at my peak.  http://scrapandrun.blogspot.com/2011/09/running.html 

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't focus on the rest of your post. That dog is too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.