During the previous year I had tried to go for a couple of short runs. Running in Madrid was always sort of surreal to me. If I took to the streets in my neighborhood, I would often draw the side eye from ladies in heels and furs. Plus, unless it was incredibly early in the morning, there was so much pedestrian traffic that it got annoying quickly to have to constantly play frogger. But there weren't that many runners in the parks either, and the ones I saw were all of the fast and furious type.
Even so at the beginning of the summer I decided that I wanted to get to where I could run a 5K again, and I googled the Couch to 5K program. Knowing that it was less than ideal to run on the sidewalks, I took my work outs to Retiro Park. As I ran and walked my intervals, I dreamed of being able to consider myself a runner. Over the course of those next couple of months I built up from running 60 seconds to running for 30 minutes. During the day I would go to the archives and in the evenings before going out with friends for dinner or drinks I would either do yoga in the tiny living room of my flat or go for a run in the park. As the summer progressed, I lost some of the weight that I had gained, but much more importantly I rekindled my love of running. Although I didn't start really running many miles for another year, I had become active again and wanting to get better at running (among other things) prompted me to try to quit smoking and eventually to succeed at dropping that nasty habit.
| The sunset at the lake at Retiro Park |
I don't miss a lot of things about my life in 2006 and 2007, but I do miss Madrid. And I miss running in Retiro Park - even though I rarely saw other runners there and those that I did see tended to be male and super serious.
| Boats on the Lake |
what an amazing place to have run!!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you used to be a smoker - me too! I got back into pilates and playing tennis a few years ago and that's what really made me want to finally kick it for good.
ReplyDeletexoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com
Fantastic post and so close to my heart, as you know.
ReplyDeleteLiving in a foreign country pushes you and enriches you in so many of the same ways that running does. There are high and lows, and some painful lonliness, but you definitely come out on top: a stronger, deeper individual.
I hope we can run some day together in España!
Gorgeous photos! We didn't visit Spain when we went to Europe in 2010 but it's on my list (along with a million other places!)
ReplyDeleteI gained weight the three weeks I spent backpacking around Europe despite walking miles upon miles. I blame it on all the gelato and wine...
It's weird for me to read that you were once a smoker! Mostly because you are such a healthy individual, it's hard to beleive that you ever smoked, you know? I had my out of shape phase, too. It was right around when I went to Paris in 2008. I was about 40 pounds heavier and stoped running completely (even though I had run a marathon in 2006, so I HAD been super healthy at one point). Anyways, luckily, I found my way back to where I am today. The blogging community has helped me as, up until this summer, I didn't have any local running friends - so I relied heavily on the blogging community for advice, encouragement, and camaraderie.
ReplyDeleteRunning in Madrid sounds wonderful. I loved running in Paris. I saw very very few fellow runners, though! Kind of interesting!
It is such an awesome thing when someone can bust themselves into shape the way that you did. It's so inspirational. I admire runners more than almost any other athletes because of the way you push yourselves. I used to be a runner until my knees and feet couldn't take it anymore, and I miss it all the time.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/Twitter: @GlamKitten88
It's so cool that you got to experience training in another country like this! it's interesting to read about how other cultures view the sport for amature or recreational athletes!
ReplyDeleteThe thing that I have noticed about Germany the most so far is the lack of obese people. In America, they are everywhere. And now living here, I rarely see an obese German and when I think I do, I'll hear them speaking English with an American accent.
ReplyDeleteThis was lovely - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI love the memories that running can bring back. The first time I ever ran while away from home was during a library conference in Chicago. I ran on the path around the lake every morning and it was the first time I realized that running and I were going to be together for the long haul. :)