Monday, September 19, 2011

Apple Picking With the In-Laws

M's parents were in town this week, and we decided to go a nearby orchard for some apple picking. I was happy when M. mentioned to me that it was something that they wanted to do because I had hoped to go apple picking last fall but we never got around to it. So Friday we drove up to a local orchard. Upon our arrival, we sampled a number of the different types of apples that were ready for the picking and decided that we would go for the Cortlands. I'm glad that we did because the ones that we picked are delicious - juicy and crisp.

We hopped a tractor ride out to the appropriate part of the orchard, and then spent some time filling up our bag and eating some of our apple-y plunder.






After we had picked our peck and eaten our apples, we meandered through a corn maize (something I hadn't done since I was a kid) and enjoyed the chilly air and the sunshine. It was a wonderful way to spend part of an afternoon.
My in-laws took a few apples with them when they left on Saturday. But we still have plenty to take in our lunches over the next week, and I sense an apple crisp or a pie will be in my baking future.

Have you ever been apple picking? What are some of your favorite autumnal outdoor activities?

10 comments:

  1. Fall is my favorite season!!!

    This year I get to do some apple picking in our back yard; one of our trees has loads of apples (the other apple tree doesn't)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think eating the fruits of your labor (look at that pun) is part and parcel to the experience while you're there. I recently picked peaches and they were so good. I want to get back out there before they are gone and also get apples too. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved away from southern New England more than 10 years ago... but every autumn I still crave fresh-picked apples and fresh-pressed cider. Old habits die hard, I suppose? (Hmm... I've got a wedding to attend there in a couple of weeks... maybe I can pick apples in my party dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love apple pie and with apples these day being so over-produced I think getting them right off the tree is the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents and my Aunt have apple trees, I usually pick apples every fall and can some.  Apple butter is another favorite.  Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never actually gone apple picking!  I would love to visit an apple orchard.  Maybe I will do that in October if the weather is still agreeable.  My fave fall outdoor activities are raking leaves, walking through crunchy leaves, running surrounded by the beautiful multi-colored leaves, and drinking seasonal drinks like pumpkin spice lattes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to go back to Michigan each Fall - I loved to go apple picking! Such a great Fall tradition. But mostly I loved the apple cider & fresh apple or pumpkin donuts!
    Corn mazes are crazy fun too! Looks like y'all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. J. and I were just discussing this--apple picking would happen in the fall for us in both New England and the Midwest, sometimes with pumpkin picking and hayrides. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apple picking is something i've never done. I really love going to the pumpkin patch in during the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always meant to try apple picking, but I have no idea what I would do with all the apples!  Too bad they don't have orchards of chocolate that I can go pick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.