Compared to many other problems in the world, a running-related injury is not so bad. It's a frustration and an inconvenience, but I am aware of my position of privilege when I complain about my IT band's decision to flare up.
Four weeks ago, I experienced a hip cramp around mile 11.5 of a planned 16 mile run. I tried to walk it out, shake it out, stretch it out. After some brief relief after each time I stopped to stretch, my right hip would cramp again. I decided to cut the run short and ended it at just over 14 miles. I took an ice bath and followed my normal long run recovery routine and ran fine during my shorter runs over the course of the week that followed. The Saturday on my 18 mile long run, my hip started cramping around mile 14 or 15. It was the same hip and I had the same issue. I pushed through with a couple of walk breaks and completed the 18 miles. At that point I decided that switching to a pair of Brooks shoes (I had only worn them on the two long runs that I had cramps on) might be to blame and I ran only in my Saucony Kinvaras during the following week. I had ordered a new pair of Saucony Ride 4s, but they hadn't arrived yet so I ran my long run in my Kinvaras last Saturday. By mile 12 I could feel my hip tensing. By mile 14 it was cramping and shooting pain down the outside of my right leg into my knee and ankle. Since I had run an out and back route, I tried to run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute, and walk up the hills to get back to my car. I felt some pain and tightness on Sunday through Thursday.
My running coach encouraged me to check out the services of a local chiropractor, and several members of my running group expressed shock that I had never been to one before. I made an appointment and went in this past Wednesday. The chiropractor that I saw gave me an examination and declared that my right leg was slightly shorter than my left and that my IT band was tight and inflamed in the hip and upper leg area. He gave me an adjustment, did some ART (active release technique - essentially he held me while I stretched so that the stretch was much deeper than I could get on my own), and applied some kinesio tape. He told me that I should see some improvement before long and that I should take it easy and follow my coach's advice about mileage, and I made a follow up appointment with him for this coming Wednesday.
On Friday I went for a short run. It had been 6 days since my last run, and I kept it slow and short. I only did 2 miles. My hip did not cramp, but it felt constantly on the verge between tightness and pain. Saturday I had 14-15 miles on my training schedule, but I could tell that was out of the question. Yesterday I went for a brisk walk and then did some strength training and stretching at the gym. I felt a little tight before and during the walk, but I had a sort of dull ache in my hip all day after it.
This morning it feels just on the other side of that dull edge, so, rather than run, I'm going to go to the gym to spend about an hour on the exercise bike.
Right now getting to the start line in Chicago is up in the air for me. It's frustrating, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. I figure I need to get one more solid 18-20 mile long run in sometime in the next two weeks in order to feel confident about my ability to finish the marathon. This may mean having to sit out the 10 mile race I planned to do in just under two weeks.
For those of you who have suffered from IT band issues, how long did you find that you needed to take off from running before you could run without pain? For those of you who have experienced an injury during the last six weeks of a training cycle, were you able to run your marathon? How did you make it happen? Lots of other cardio and foam rolling?
I had a piriformis/IT Band issue about a month before my half. I had to scale way back on my training (I was only doing my long run and 1 other run a week). I then took the week before the half off and two full weeks after the half off. The injury was on and off once I went back to training, but foam rolling and stretching consistently nipped it in the bud this time. Before the race I was also doing ART, NSAIDs, a round of steroids, and tape.
ReplyDeleteOh shoot. :(
ReplyDeleteI had a slight ITB flare-up about 6 weeks before my marathon, but I was able to keep it at bay. Seems like I had an ice pack on it constantly. TONS of stretching and foam rolling too.
I hope it clears up for you. Injuries are so frustrating.
I'm just going to say "best wishes" with this. My injuries (mainly my knee issues) have always required extra time off from running and cancelled races, but my knee issue isn't a running injury, it's a chronic issue that affects my running (does that make sense?). I've also never trained for a marathon, so I can't really offer anything tangible for that. I truly do hope you can both recover and run the marathon.
ReplyDeleteOh you don't want to hear about my ITB nightmare! But I can give you some ideas for what might help. First--don't foam roll, or have massage, on the band itself. It only irritates what is already irritate. Don't try to stretch it--it's not a muscle, it's a fascia, and can't be stretched. What worked for me in the end was getting my TFL and glute medius to "wake up." I had an applied kinesiologist help me with this, and it's not the common way to treat ITB, but it worked. Try asking around to PTs, chiros, anyone in the area who might know something about helping get these sleeping muscles working again. When they don't work, the ITB takes all the load, and thus the irritation. Good luck with it!!
ReplyDeleteI have been experiencing almost the exact same pain during super long runs. Luckily, my pain does not last after the run and I can usually recover well with an ice bath, foam rolling and some yoga. I might suggest doing a lot of hip opener type yoga poses. I bet you could find a good free routine on yogadownload.com. Otherwise, icing, foam rolling, keep doin it!
ReplyDeleteHi there, Raquelita,
ReplyDeleteI’m very sorry to hear that you’re injured. That just
sucks, there’s no way around it. One of my legs is longer than the other as
well and I’ve suffered from IT problems. Stretching helps as does positive
thinking. I think some hip and knee pain is just part of distance running, and
it’s so hard to know when to just REST and when to push on.
I hope you’re feeling better soon and mientras
tanto I think *yoga and swimming* are great alternatives.
Oh dear. Again, I have no words of wisdom, but I am thinking of you and hoping for a good recovery from your injury...your training has been so strong until recently that I still have hope that you will cross the finish line at Chicago. xoxo
ReplyDeleteI haven't had IT issues, but I do fight with piriformis/flexor muscle issues. It kind of comes down to the same thing. My left hip is weaker than my right. My sports doc advised some hip opener yoga and other stretching & strength training exercises to get the left hip to where it needs to be. You saw me at the end, or at least near the end of the Mankato Half last year. The left hip had gotten so bad it was affecting my gait and ultimately causing pain in my right foot.
ReplyDeleteI haven't canceled races, but I have only started really trying to ramp up my running again, so it has been several months. I'm up to 5 miles and no pain yet. Admittedly I have been terrible about following my doctors orders (with the exception of some yoga), so I know that I need to start the hip strengthening in earnest or I will be fighting the same issue. I am hoping to run a half again, and my doctor is okay with that, but he said my body may be telling me its ideal is more around the 10K-10 mile marker. But he's a marathoner, so he's not going to tell me not to run. :)
Pain sucks. No words of wisdom, other than follow your doctor's orders and listen to your body.
Running injuries are so frustrating. Like you said, in the grand scheme of things, they are not the end of the world, but it sucks when they interfere with plans you have had for a long time. I was so paranoid I would get injured last summer when training for Portland!! I was so relieved when I got to the starting line totally injury free.
ReplyDeleteI have had some trouble with my IT band, but mostly it was in relation to runner's knee. I got a foam roller and started using that religiously and that realy seemed to help!
Hope you are back to 100% soon!!!
My pain wasn't lasting after the run the first two weeks that it happened. I have been icing, doing yoga, and lots of other stretching, as well as exercises suggested by my running coach and a massage therapist. Thanks for the suggestions, though! I'm glad you have been able to keep your issue at bay!
ReplyDeleteI have a follow-up apt. with the chiro on Wednesday, and hopefully I will be able to get some better results. Thanks for the suggestions!
ReplyDeleteWhen you had to take time off did you cross train to make up the runs?
ReplyDeleteGracias nena! I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time on my yoga mat in the next few weeks. I am not a strong swimmer (only learned at all how not to drown a couple of years ago), but I may give aqua jogging a shot.
ReplyDeleteIs your doctor in Mankato or in St. Cloud?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lisa. It makes sense that running would be impacted by chronic issues like the one you have with your knee. Thanks so much for the best wishes!
ReplyDeleteOh no. My running companion had recurrent IT issues and she took nearly a year off from running, which was extremely difficult but she knew the injury well enough not to push it. In that year she saw a physiotherapist and worked very diligently and slowly at a number of strength exercises, slowly because they were the kind of exercises that were easy to do wrong. I'll ask her what else she did and how/when she was back at running. As I say, for her it was an old and recurring injury so she may have been in a different spot than you. I hope things get back on track for you soon.
ReplyDeleteDr. Morris is in St. Cloud. Maybe he would have some recommendations for someone in Mankato. Here's his info: http://www.centracare.com/med_staff/MedDetail.aspx?id=485
ReplyDeleteThis is what stopped me (at 12 miles) as I trained for a half-marathon back in grad school. I seriously did not know what to do (boo U of IL health services) and simply stopped running and took up yoga seriously, and then dance. For years I was literally scared to run. When I started running again a couple of years ago, I never ran more than five miles at a time. But, in the interim, I had been through a course of physical therapy for a misaligned pelvis, and I'd learned all sorts of core engagement exercises. When I feel any kind of hip/back issue coming on while running or walking I always remember to check the positioning of my pelvis, and re-engage my core. It helps. Zumba also complements running well because of the variety of deep squats and core work.
ReplyDelete