Monday, December 19, 2011

Thoughts On a Year of Mostly Not Shopping

Back in December of last year, I announced as part of my goals for 2011 that I would be participating in the Great American Apparel Diet and that I would not be shopping for new clothing for the entire year. (GAAD does allow participants to replace worn out garments and undergarments and shoes are a grey area.) Because I enjoy shopping and style, I knew that doing GAAD would be a challenge for me. However, I also knew that I wanted to focus my spending in other directions this year so that I could afford a couple of trips and some race registration fees. For the most part, I did pretty well. The first few months of the year were not difficult. I thought my birthday in March might be hard, but it was surprisingly easy to not shop. I got to the summer without any setbacks.

At the end of July, I did purchase some clothing (three dresses, one skirt, a cardigan, three blouses, and a suit) for work and conferences. I viewed this as acceptable under the terms of GAAD because all but one of these items were replacements for clothes that either no longer fit or were stretched out, stained, pilling, or threadbare.

Over the course of the fall I made three other clothing purchases (aside from athletic sock and a couple pairs of replacement tights) that violated both the terms and the spirit of this ban. I bought a skirt that was on sale at Anthropologie in September when I was feeling upset about my ITB injury. I remember that one afternoon I suddenly found myself browsing online -- something I had been really good about not doing up until that point -- and put the skirt in my shopping cart. I revisited it several days in a row before I actually clicked on "buy." I bought a pair of red jeans in late September on the weekend that I did the Women Run the Cities 10 miler. Again, I think this decision was largely made from a place of disappointment and frustration. I knew I wasn't going to Chicago to run the marathon, and even though I was happy about running that 10 mile race I was facing a setback. I basically justified my purchase by telling myself that I wouldn't be spending money eating out or for a hotel room in Chicago two weeks later. Once the date of the marathon had passed and my injury had abated I found the desire to browse online had also largely (though not completely) dissipated.  In November I made a calculated purchase of a pair of wool trousers. While technically, this was a violation of GAAD as I had no wool pants or any other sort of trousers that were in need of replacement, I don't feel guilty about scoring them on sale and wearing them on days when the high temperatures were in the single digits.

In terms of running and work out apparel, I did buy a few things - all but one in the second half of the year. I replaced my running shoes twice and replaced a couple pairs of worn out running capris. I bought a shirt to run the Madison Half in with my friend Suzie, and a few weeks ago I invested in some cold weather running pants, a couple of long-sleeve tech tees for layering, and a jacket.

Shoes proved to more difficult. In June when M. and I went to Toronto and Montreal I had planned that I would treat myself to a pair or two of Fluevogs for making progress on various writing projects, which I did. I also bought a pair of flats to replace some that I had worn into the ground. Those acts of consumption seemed to send me sliding down a slope, though, because in the weeks that followed our return I purchased another pair of Fluevogs on sale online and a couple of other pairs of shoes on ebay. I also bought a pair of boots when I was in Seattle for a conference. Shoes technically fall outside of the purview of GAAD, but I do wish I had been more in control of myself in this category over the summer. I did get myself in check by the start of the school year, and only bought two more pairs of shoes since then. I purchased a pair of brown boots in November, and I recently bought a new pair of black heels for conference and teaching to replace a pair of favorite spectator pumps that broke when I was in Fort Worth.

So this ban on purchasing apparel didn't go perfectly for me. It went far better during the first half of the year than it did during the second half. Including shoes, I made 3 purchases between the beginning of January and the end of June. The second half of the year was harder. There were moments when I succumbed to temptation, largely as a result of feeling down, and I think because I was tired of the ban and once I had slipped up it became easier to slip up again.

I would say that I have made substantial changes in the way that I think about shopping for clothing. I do not browse online for shoes and clothing in the near-daily fashion that I once did as a means of procrastination or stress relief. I am much more calculated in (most of) my decisions to be a consumer. And I would like to continue to be a more rather than a less thoughtful consumer. I still have a long way to go before I will feel truly in control of my shopping habits and compulsions, though. I won't be on GAAD during 2012, but right now I don't really need to add anything to my closet, so I will be continuing to limit my clothing acquisitions in the year to come. I'll post more details about this in a forthcoming post on my 2012 goals.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I felt like it was important to hold myself accountable for this goal and that entailed detailing some of my slip-ups. Have you ever been on a shopping ban? How did it go for you? Would you ever consider going on a shopping ban?

20 comments:

  1. What's interesting to me is to see the emotional tie-in with clothing purchases. I am sure we are all guilty of that!

    I didn't make a conscious effort with this, but I think I am fairly good with shopping. One big reason is probably that I work from home, so my needs aren't as great as someone in the outside world. But I'm sure I could use some improvement! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many years, I bought very few clothes.  This year, I bought quite a bit, and while I  removed a lot of stuff from my closet that no longer fits or is worn, most of my purchases aren't justified by that.  I think you took on a good challenge and did well with it.    

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... there's a lot to take in here! First - I think this is a noble challenge! Second - I definitely have also been guilty of indulging in a little "retail therapy." (At least it's healthier than drinking, right?) But I wonder how our emotions got tied up in our clothes in the first place?

    Last year I had to stop shopping completely (and not by choice) -- I was moving cross country, and was trying to do so on as low a budget as possible. Every new piece of clothing, book, or item for the house would cost me double because if I bought it in CA, I'd have to ship it to FL at the end of the year. I did finally break down and buy a new pair of running shoes a month before the move, because my old ones were literally falling apart. My broken-heeled boots: I got those repaired (my first trip ever to a cobbler!). Prior to the move, I thought I was a fairly minimalist shopper. But the year of NO shopping made me realize just how many little purchases I would make in a year. And as a result, I do much less shopping now. (Except for books... I'm back to buying several each month now.) ;) I slimmed down my wardrobe to mostly classic slacks + black tops and I make the outfits interesting with big bracelets and scarves. I don't know how long the after-effects will last, but the experiment was valuable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like my life is one big shopping ban! When you have 3 kids, such is life. :)

    I am a total running shoe whore though. That has been where I've spent $$$ lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your honesty here.  I wonder to what extent your on-line browsing is a desire for some eye candy?  Some of my blog reading is really about the eye candy, even though I write very dense posts for my food blog.

    I've never been on a shopping ban, but I go through phases of trying to be more frugal.  With clothing and shoes, I always get my money's worth, so I don't feel much need to impose limits on myself.  But with food, I'm not always good about eating the leftovers and not throwing food out.  It's not really practical to go on a food-shopping ban (at least it's not for me), but I would like to continue developing habits/strategies to get the most bang for my food buck.  Maybe I should try to develop a blog post to talk more about this topic? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love taking shoes to the cobbler!  Doesn't it make you feel responsible and grown-up?  I have two pairs that need to go to the shoe repair shop, preferably ASAP...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not gone on a clothes shopping ban, but I have placed myself on a book buying ban!  I have so many unread books, it's really ridiculous to buy more.  I will make an exception if I am unable to get a bookclub book from the library - and if I get giftcards for Christmas or my bday, I will let myself buy books!

    I think you did extremely well this year.  I probably bought more clothes this year than I typically do because I had to build my wardrobe for my new job & the travel it involves.  NExt year should be a much lighter year in terms of purchases!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have never been on a shopping ban but it does not sound like a bad idea at all.  I think you did a great job!  I tend to buy way to many clothes that I don't end up wearing very much.  i love retail therapy but in the end it doesn't help all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really admire you for even taking on the ban! And as with any goal we take on to better our lives, we shouldn't expect perfection, after all shopping IS a habit for some of us, any small changes we make are good. You became more aware of WHY you were shopping and often waited to make a purchase until you were sure you really wanted it. And there is nothing wrong with buying some cute shoes to make yourself feel better as long as you can afford them and realize the pick me up is temporary!
    We used to have No Buy July. No family birthdays that month, no major gift giving holidays. So for the month, no eating out and no buying anything that was not necessary. (groceries & the like are allowed) We eventually repeated that in January as sort of a detox after the spending frenzy that is often Christmas. Oooh, and it was hard with all the great sales!
    Waiting a month forced me to think aout the things I wanted. Did I really need them? Did I even really WANT them, or was it a passing fancy?
    Hmm, perhaps I'll revisit No Buy January next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it sounds like you did a pretty good job. And just the fact that when you DID buy something you stopped and thought about it probably means you are shopping more responsibly?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I remember when I did my no-buy thing for 6 months and, though I certainly "slipped" it has given me a sense of commerce an acquisition that has endured. I think that my foray into sewing and knitting was inspired, in part, by a sense that there's too much buying going on. Of course, I have to buy the fabric and yarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks for sharing!  I liked reading about how you connected what you bought with what you were feeling.  I totally fell off the GAAD wagon about 6 months (not the spirit or letter of the law).  I think I do less shopping now, too, although I also kinda hate my clothes. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is embarrassing, but I've failed at every shopping ban I've ever tried to implement.  I have compulsive tendencies when it comes to shopping and I am a very emotional shopper.  I'm really impressed with your challenge this year and it sure sounds like a success to me!  Thanks for being so honest and accountable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for mostly not shopping! You know, sometimes it is good to set goals and even if you don't reach them completely, it teaches you something! I tried to do the photography project 365 and even though I did not complete it, I still do take photos most days even if I don't post them, and also it taught me to look at the little things. So even if I didn't complete the project, I learned from it. It seems like you have learned from your project too!

    I don't really shop much, so a shopping ban would not be that big of a deal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a cobbler that I went to for many years in my old city, but I have been less impressed with the work done by my current local cobbler. He fixed a pair of friend's shoes and they broke again within a week. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the idea of No Buy July and No Buy January. My family has a couple of birthdays in January, so maybe I'll do a No Buy April. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your blog. Love it. Fluevog wearer myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoops. Www.franceskay.blospot.com on my iPhone so commenting a bit trickey.
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for writing this up! I think your year of GAAD is very impressive, even with some of the buys/moments that were technically going against the apparel diet. I don't know if I could do this. And I think that is telling. I keep resolving to curb consumption, be more thoughtful, buy less (and buy better), and acknowledge that shopping out of listlessness or anxiety is not advisable nor healthy. And on the whole I do well. But I definitely make mistakes. And I definitely find myself returning impulse buys that occurred in moments of poor judgment. It is an improvement overall because in years previous I would just keep them and not wear. But I have a long ways to go before I could abstain from shopping for a year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.