I was in Chicago for several days this past week for the annual meeting of the American Historical Association. I stayed downtown, saw good friends, went to panels and meetings, ate some delicious food, drank some delicious local brews, and enjoyed being in a big city with lots of museums, parks, shopping, and cabs.
Rather than regale you with a recap of my entire trip, I'll just say that the highlights included hearing a couple of fantastic papers, meet-ups with blogging buddies,
Anne and
Courtney, eating Thai food and having a couple of rounds at the Goose Island Brewery with grad school buddies, sharing in Twelfth Night festivities and a King's Feast with my good friend
M., finally meeting the daughter of one of my dearest friends, and running along the Navy Pier and Lakefront Path. I'll let the pictures do the talking for me.
 |
| the view from my hotel room |
 |
| Chicago by night |
 |
| the organic arugula salad at La Media - delicious! |
 |
| old friends |
 |
| King's Cake |
 |
| unwitting partners who became blogging casualties |
 |
| my running route on Saturday morning |
 |
| breakfasting with a baby |
I hadn't been to Chicago for several years, and it had slipped my mind how much I love the city. While it's not a quick drive, it's not all that far either, so my friend M. may find me on her doorstep again before long.
How fun! And our weather was fabulous for you too!
ReplyDeleteLooks like an all around great trip with plenty of fun time added in as well!
ReplyDeleteChicago looks amazing! I'm hoping to make a trip there in 2013 for the marathon and I can already hardly wait :)
ReplyDeleteLooks wonderful!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun trip! I love that this trip incorporated so many things: your professional life, old friends, blog friends, good food, running! I love love love Chicago! :) I think if I moved anywhere, that's where I'd move. I am heading there this Friday and can't wait. I, too, will be running along that very same path!
ReplyDeleteI love cities built around water -- and the night photo, especially, show this to advantage here -- all the sparkling illumination reflected.
ReplyDeleteAnd no snow or ice on your running route -- was it really windy, though?
Sounds like the best kind of conference -- glad it went well.
It's true. There really is something special about cities on the water.
ReplyDeleteThere was no snow! The weather was really more like October or March than January, but I wasn't complaining. It was a tad windy, but it definitely could have been worse.
mi casa es su casa
ReplyDeleteOh, I just love that you were in Chicago this month! A classy lady in a classy city. I'm glad you had a good time, professionally and personally. Chicago will always be dear to my heart, and I love hearing of other people enjoying the city. xoxo
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I have only been to Chicago once, and that was years ago, so I would love to go back someday.
ReplyDeleteHappy Tuesday! :)
That looks fun! I'm really ashamed that I live easy driving distance from Chicago and have yet to make a trip. Maybe it's not too late for a babymoon.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a fun trip! I love Chicago! I have always had a good time visiting that city!
ReplyDeleteEver since I watched the Chicago marathon on television a few years ago, it has been a city I really want to visit.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE visiting Chicago! The pics of your run bring back fond memories of doing RnR in Chicago before they changed the course. Good times! And congrats on the birth of your niece :)
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! :)
ReplyDelete