Oy vey. It's confession time. I have not been doing the best job of training for the half-marathon that I am running in mid-March. The first week went pretty well, but weeks two and three were low mileage weeks due to travel, illness, and adjusting to the rhythms of a new academic schedule (my schedule this semester is the almost opposite of last semester). I missed two runs while I was in Chicago and cut another one short, and I got slammed with a cold after my return from the windy city so I skipped my long run two weeks in a row.
Last week was better -- although still not perfect. I managed two short yoga sessions, a cross-training session at the gym, a tough hill work out on the treadmill, two short and easy runs, and a long run of 7 miles. That 7 miler on Saturday was the longest run that I've completed since September. It was tough in spite of my slow pace and made me really regret not planning better while I was out of town. (I have less of an issue with missing a run due to illness.) Yet, I can't help but focus on the positives here too. They might not have been the fastest or prettiest of miles, but they were the most I've strung together consecutively in four months. I can do this!
I'm committing to making this week of training better still. I will do 800s on the treadmill today and have plans to meet S. at the gym tomorrow. Hopefully, the weather will be conducive for running with my group on Saturday morning. However, if it's not, I will do 8 miles on the treadmill. Missing more long runs just isn't an option for the rest of this training cycle if I want to enjoy my birthday race.
What about you? Anything to confess this Monday?
Do you feel better getting it off your chest? ; )
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are turning things in the right direction, so you'll get there! I hope the weather works in your favor, too.
After my injury, I am pretty darn driven right now, so I have no confessions!
New week. Time to focus on what you need to do at the moment and not on what happened in the past.
ReplyDeleteMy confession - I never made it onto my bike this weekend. Should have gone out when the weather was nice on Saturday, but decided to wait until Sunday. Sadly, 30-ish mph winds on Sunday. :-(
You still have plenty of time so I'm sure you'll figure it out. It is hard to be motivated this time of year!
ReplyDeleteLast week was lower mileage for me thanks to the snow that hit us last Wednesday. Worst was trying to run Saturday and falling on ice. But I did a long run Sunday, tried out my YakTraks which worked well, even with the snow almost gone, just ice trails left.
ReplyDeleteYou've done half the distance of the Half now and you have about 7 weeks of training left, right? You'll make it! Go, you!
I have been slacking as well. I have a half this weekend! I finally ran a long run of 10 miles yesterday and am sore today. That proves that I need to be running more! I think the cold weather is unmotivational as well! Good luck getting back on track!
ReplyDeleteNothing like an impending race to light a fire under your running shoes! Good luck, R. I know you can do it.
ReplyDeleteI was doing well with the training. Then i went to Chicago and barely ran. I had the best intentions to do a longish run, but the paths weren't cleared. Then i had sinus surgery and am waiting for clearance to run again. Not sure when I will get the ok, but I can't even really do day to day tasks yet without exhausting myself, so I am just letting it go and accepting that this half is going to be a pretty slow run for me!
ReplyDeleteMy confession is that i have basically watched more tv in the last 4 days than I have in the last 6 months. I can't really do much else as the pain makes it hard for me to concentrate enough to read!
I think with your crazy schedule and the holidays, you're doing really well. I'm sure if you get at least most of your long runs in you'll be fine. Great job training during a pretty challenging time of year!
ReplyDeleteYEA, 800s. Go get 'em!! Run one for me! :)
ReplyDeleteYou can do it! :)
ReplyDelete