As a runner who is
As an academic, sometimes I feel like I'm supposed to be an disembodied mind floating around thinking deep thoughts about the 16th and 17th centuries and deciphering the handwriting of people who have been long dead. There are times when my mind has so many tasks going on - working in a research project for a co-edited volume that has a deadline, writing lectures and reading for a new upper level/grad class, outlining my chapters for my book proposal - that, while my brain is working hard, my body is just sitting there for hours with the only movement being that of my fingers on the keyboard. Since the spring I have become better about getting up and moving around, after an hour or so, and, when I'm working from home on a project that can be conveniently set up on it, I use my makeshift standing desk. But this video is a reminder that no matter how much I'd rather just veg on the couch after a long day, if I haven't run yet, I should or I should go for a walk or do some yoga.
So for me this video was a reminder not only to reaffirm my commitment to half-marathon training, but also to walk more, stand more, and sit less (even as I'm hopefully being madly productive).
Yeah it is pretty incredible isn't it? It makes sense though. I am to the point with my exercise that I do actually feel like crap and get depressed when I don't do it.
ReplyDeleteI've finally gotten to the point where it isn't about doing it to lose weight anymore (and i'm not saying that because I am pregnant because I hit this point before I got pregnant). I do it because I feel like I have to... for the reasons listed above plus the ones listed in this video.
As I think ahead I don't even worry about when will I find time when baby comes. Will I be busy taking care of a new infant? Yep probably. But exercise as become a part of my life. Its like eating, breathing and drinking water for me. I will make time for it. Even if that means getting up at 4am or going to the gym at 7:30pm.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing this. I don't have an issue with getting my 30 min. a day, and I'm up and down all day, but I do want to have "stand height" work areas in my shop, instead of sitting height. It would work so much better and be better for me. I also wouldn't mind one of the flat treadmills for walking while at the computer, but I have to move around my work area, so I'm not sure that would be used as much. I'm sharing this on fb and twitter - thanks.
ReplyDeleteI think it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that, just because we exercise, we can lounge all day. Just not true--we need to continuously (as much as we can) move our bodies.
ReplyDeleteTrue, true. I'm glad that I usually stand the entire time that I'm teaching a class.
DeleteGreat video! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI think I heard this lecture on a podcast a few weeks ago. Overall, I think it was wonderfully done! But I disagree with him about his claim that people don't or didn't know television-watching was bad for you. There have been a number of studies that have demonstrated that tv can be addictive and it tends to decrease the amount of exercise people get. I'm not sure if he means *researchers* didn't know or the general public does not know. At any rate, when I watch my show in the evening, I like to do my strength exercises :-)
ReplyDeleteI assumed he meant the general public when he was talking about tv watching.
DeleteI often feel that way too, about being expected somehow to be a floating head of genius 24/7. Sometimes I resent the fact that I can't turn work off, because it's churning in my brain so much of the time. Thanks for this gentle reminder!
ReplyDeleteWow - 8ths marathon! Those sure have added up for you! I am not doing much training these days... I will get back on track after my surgery tomorrow, though! Looking forward to running your 8th half with you!!
ReplyDeleteI am feeling very similar! I am having time organizing my time and exercising is falling behind. I cannot see the video but I know that it is so important to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, in whatever small way that you can. I always tried to tell the guys at work that if they just took the stairs instead of the elevator (up two floors) that they would be doing themselves a world of good!
ReplyDelete