Monday, February 20, 2012

Contemplating Mystical Unicorns

Earlier today I was writing some lecture notes for a class session on medieval religious devotion and female mystics, like Julian of Norwich, and I accidentally typed the words "contemplating mystical unicorns" instead of "contemplating mystical unions". Perhaps this typo was a bit ... um... errr... Freudian.... I mean, who doesn't dream of riding a unicorn?

Seriously, though, maybe my mystical unicorns are those things that I wish for and hope for and work toward, but still seem maddeningly elusive at present -- the things that are hiding in the Forbidden Forest. What are your mystical unicorns? What are some of the goals that seem out of reach to you right this minute but that you believe that with hard work you can attain?

Here are some of my mystical unicorns.

1. Running a sub two hour half-marathon. Clearly the 11:10 min/mile pace that I've been running here lately on my longer runs isn't going to get me to this goal tomorrow, but I hope to get there eventually. I hope in 2013. It means that I will have to shave a minute per mile off of my PR half-marathon pace, but I'm starting to reintegrate some speedwork into my routine and hoping that with continued hard work I can set a new PR at this distance later in 2012.

2. Getting tenure. Like many most people working in academia these days, I'm not currently in a tenure-track position. I hope that before long this will change, not only for me individually but for the profession as a whole. I would say more, but I don't want this post to turn into a rant about labor practices.

3. Mastering bakasana. This pose has eluded me for many years. I will probably have to gain some more upper body strength and lose a few pounds in order to float into this pose and hold it rather than barely getting into it for less than a split second.

4. And, of course, going for a ride on a mystical unicorn.

11 comments:

  1. Hm, my unicorn would be saving for the round the world trip I want to take the minute I retire. As for #2, I'm feeling it from the other end--pressure to retire. I know at my college things are being run more and more following a corporate model and less and less like an actual institution of higher education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, bakasana... M and I have this thing we say (with hand gestures): Peace, Love and Unicorn Puffs. (It refers to her hair after she's slept on it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be interested in today's post on a blog run collectively by 3 Canadian Academic Feminists working in the humanities -- on non-tenure-track positions: http://www.hookandeye.ca/2012/02/gambler-notes-from-non-tenure-stream.html. I'm lucky in having a regular position, but it's at a teaching uni (altho' there's still a research expectation) where we do 4/4. It's a fairly heavy load, but still, I count my blessings. You do well to stay so positive, so productive and creative -- and you seem to manage a surprisingly balanced life. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My unicorn is probablhy passing the CFA. I am working my butt off to accomplish that goal, but it seems like an insurmountable task most days. I'd also say BQ'ing falls under that category (but I can honestly say I really do not think I will ever BQ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me wish I was in one of your classes, I bet they're awesome solely based on your composing of lecture notes (also the topics sound fascinating). I'd say my mystical unicorns are running in general (for some reason I can't break the "pain barrier" and it never seems to come naturally), and a trip to Russia . . . that one might actually happen someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post! My mystical unicorns are: a four hour marathon (one day, I do think this will happen!), getting a story into Gulf Coast (I love that journal), writing a novel and getting a book deal, owning some land and having a real homestead. I will say that I am actively working on all of these, so that's a good sign.

    Best of luck with your unicorns! I think you're working on all of them as well, so I am sure the "mystical" part is only temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw unicorns for sale down the street...but I'm not sure they were of the mystical variety! Would you settle for a plain-jane unicorn? Less sparkle, more horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I have officially turned your mystical unicorns into a blog meme. Well, maybe not officially, but I did just write a copy-cat post. It feels cathartic to put all those hopes into the world. Maybe it will give the universe a chance to line up some good stuff for us? Is that too woo-woo spiritual? :-)

      Delete
    2. I will only settle for the mystical ones! But then again I have just re-read The Book of Margery Kempe.

      I'm off to check out your unicorns. :)

      Delete
  8. Well, I'm no help for 2-4, but #1? You can totally do this! Speed work will get you there. I believe in you and your unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bakasana is a tough pose! I had to google it, I call it crow pose :) I held it for about 5 breaths one class with the help of a block. I know I need to implement practicing it daily though to TRULY get it!

    A mystical unicorn for me is doing an ultra marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.