After having missed a couple of long runs in the past few weeks (illness and travel) and pounding out several on the treadmill due to inclement weather or timing issues, I was finally able to get in a longer run outside in the cold this past Saturday. I met up with my group at 7am. My friend Suzie came, as well, and the original plan was for us to run together for three or four miles and then I would do several more on my own so that my mileage would end up somewhere around 10. It was a cold but otherwise beautiful day. There was almost no wind and the sun was shining. After we had run the first mile or so with another member of the group, we continued on on our own.
 |
| We ran past a little ski slope that was seeing some action |
Suzie was feeling pretty good so she said she would keep running for at least another couple of miles beyond her original plan. We ended up running almost 8 miles together, chatting about our weeks and spring break plans. After 8 miles, I looped back to add a bit more to my run, and ended up with just over 9.5 miles. It wasn't quite the double digits I had planned, but I was getting cold and ridiculously hungry. I normally take a GU on runs over 7-8 miles, but I hadn't run more than 8 miles in such a long time that I didn't even think to stash some fuel in my jacket pocket. I need to get back in the long run mindset.
I was slower than I was the past couple of weeks, possibly because the route had a couple of sizeable hills and possibly because my Garmin was on the wrong setting so I had no idea what pace I was running at most of the time. Even so, it was a confidence booster to finish a long run outside in frigid February temps. Having close to ten miles under my belt, makes me confident that I can finish a double digit long run before the Get Lucky Half and make it across the finish line on my birthday.
How was your weekend? Did you do a long run? Did you attend an Oscars Party?
Sounds like you had a great long run. I'm sure it felt great to get outside again and tackle some miles with a friend. Sounds like you will be ready for the half very soon!
ReplyDeleteNo runs for me. We did some thrifting and had full charge of the grandson. I watched the Oscars vicariously on Twitter.
ReplyDeleteNice work on the long run! My goal was to run 9+ miles but that didn't happen, but I did do 6 so I guess it wasn't a total bust :). I also threw a little oscars party that basically consisted of champagne, judging all the dresses, and eating way too much food!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful scenery for a long run!
ReplyDeleteI usually remember to bring the GU along but then forget about it until I feel myself tanking. haha And by then it's usually too late.
Fun to run past the ski slopes! Sounds like you had a good time getting back in the groove. Hopefully now the weather will begin to moderate and make the treadmill a smaller part of your life.
ReplyDeleteI always watch the Oscars, but I usually watch them at home. This was actually the first time in a long time that I hadn't seen the Best Picture winner before the ceremony.
ReplyDeleteLove that you were able to run past the slopes - how beautiful! Great job on a long run!
ReplyDeleteGood for you -- definitely within striking distance of that Half K. I don't how you cold-country people manage running in those temps!
ReplyDelete9.5 is close enough to ten in my book! I've lately been doing my long runs on Wednesdays, because I don't have to be on campus until 2pm, and right now, my long runs are only around ten miles. (A 20 miler would need it's own day, I think. I doubt I could sit through a three hour class after three hours of running!)
ReplyDeleteI did go to an Oscar party, and learned of a number of movies I should probably see. I'm behind the curve, always, but it was still fun. Glad you had a good long run and are back in the game!
That looks like a really nice place to do your long run! Do you ski? You could make it a decathlon next time ;)
ReplyDeleteThis weekend, I did a long run of 10.5 miles, took a nice walk with my friend and went to an Oscar party, even though I didn't know ANY of the movies. But it was a great weekend!
It does feel so good to get those longer runs crossed off, great for you! Good luck on the half!
ReplyDeleteNice work! I totally gave up on long runs when I gave up on doing that 1/2 (which I am still disappointed about missing, but I know I need to just let it go). So I ran 4 miles on Saturday. I am so overwhelmed w/ studying right now, I am happy to just get 3 runs in/week and have let go of the mileage!
ReplyDeleteNice! I watched the Oscars at home, I play on the HSX.com website (a game based on a fake stock exchange for movies, stars, and some tv) so I wanted to see of my bets won. It was a nice show but kind of boring. I wish it were more independent-driven, though it was this year more than in the past.
ReplyDeleteGood job on your long run! It's always so nice to get some miles under your feet when things have been wonky--it helps the mind and the body :-) I think you can totally be in good shape for the half in March. Good luck!
ReplyDelete