Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Boston-Bound

Tomorrow morning I'm off to Boston for a few days. I'm giving an invited lecture at a college in the area and will spend a couple of days attending the annual conference of a professional organization to which I belong. Happily, it worked out so that I could make these trips coincide. While I love to travel and typically wouldn't mind two trips to Boston, one trip is a lot more manageable at this point in the semester and with so many other trips coming up on the horizon.

Boston on a Summer Night
Most of my time is going to be spent on professional activities, but I do also have plans to have dinner and drinks with some friends and to run a few miles with a Boston-based friend who is training for a marathon. If I can squeeze in a trip to a museum and some cannoli, I'll be even happier.

Do you frequently have the opportunity to see friends or play tourist when you're traveling for work? What do you do to work in some miles when you're on the road?

6 comments:

  1. Have fun! I'm leaving for DC and the RSA tomorrow...and sort of wish it was in Boston this year because I just love that place.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so so at seeing friends while traveling. I have a friend in Charlotte so we usually meet up when i am there, if my schedule allows. Sometimes I will fly in a day early to spend time w/ her. I am hoping to visit our Boston and Nashville offices in the next 3-6 months and am hoping to extend those trips so I can see blogger friends in the area.

    As far as fitting miles in, I epically suck at that. Alot of the time I work 14 hour days when traveling for work so getting up super early to workout doesn't happen because I am exhausted enough as it is... I know a run would help me, but I usually choose sleep over running when traveling for work. :( I am good about fitting running in while traveling for fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't travel very often for work and when I have it's usually packed full of work expectations with no opportunity to see friends or much of the place I'm at. :-(

    Have fun in Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Boston. Luckily Mr. L lives in MA, so I get to go there fairly often. Every time I go though I find new fun things to eat and see and do! I hope you have a great time!

    When I travel for work it is for longer periods of time, so I tend to get a hotel with a kitchen and try to make the place kind of like home, getting into regular habits with cooking and running etc. I do visit friends on the weekends if possible and have taken some interesting day trips around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would move that cannoli up to the top of your list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SF, Philadelphia, DC, and Chicago are all places that are on my conference circuit and where good friends live, so I always combine the two when I travel to those cities. Sometimes I find I don't have enough time to visit if the conference schedule is packed and grad school friends are also attending, though. The locals lose out in that case. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.