Sunday, March 18, 2012

Race Report: Get Lucky 21K

On Friday M. and I headed to the Cities for a weekend of half-marathon and birthday fun. We also had a an expensive meeting with an attorney because we have to file a petition for his continued permanent residency. After our meeting, we headed to the Mall of America to scout some tops that aren't covered in stains for me to wear this summer and to have dinner with my running and blogging friend Lisa and an academic friend in the area, who brought a friend of hers who was visiting from Boston. We ate at Tucci Bennuch in the MoA. I was actually quite impressed with the food. I had a delicious risotto and between that and the bread I felt sufficiently carbed up for my race the next day.
Lisa and Me
After a night of relatively fitful sleep, I woke up a little after 6am, downed some water, coffee, and toast, got dressed, brushed my teeth, got the plumbing going, pinned on my bib, checked the FB birthday greetings that were starting to come in, and woke up my wonderful spouse who drove me down to the race start sight. Once we arrived, I got in line for the port-a-potties. By the time I came out, the race was just about to start. I gave M. my hoodie and joined the crowd funneling into the start line.
At the start
I ran the first few miles with the 2:25 pace group. The pacer was a great guy named Tom who said he was pacing 36 events this year and had run something like 212 marathons. Incredible. I always love chatting with the pacers. At a water stop around mile 5 I lost the group. I was struggling a little bit with the humidity and my lack of conditioning. 65F felt hot after months of running in temps in the teens and 20s. I slowed my pace down a little bit and tried to find a comfortable zone. This and the fact that a lot of the faster runners had reached the turn around point and there was a lot of cheering on both sides kept me pepped up until I had reached the turnaround myself just after mile 6.5.

The mile or so after I turned around went well. I was feeling pretty good. At the next water stop, I walked for a couple of minutes to take a GU and drink some water with it so that it would settle. I felt pretty good for the next mile or so. The GU had given me some calories and was helping me to deal with the fatigue that was starting to set in. However, at mile 10 I could definitely feel the difference between my current conditioning and my conditioning this past autumn even as I was dealing with injury. My chest was hurting a little bit and part of me just wanted to lay down and take a nap. I pressed on, though, mostly running and occasionally walking. At the last water stop, I noticed that the 2:30 pacer wasn't behind me anymore. I was irritated with myself about that a little bit. I had wanted to stay ahead of that group, but I hadn't even noticed them passing me. Clearly, that was a sign that I was just focusing on putting one foot in front of the other.

I was really happy when I hit the last mile. I knew I was a little bit off my time goal, but I was glad to be out there on a beautiful day with lots of other runners. I thought a little bit about some of the other races I'd run and how much I love running. I finished with a time of 2:31:25.
Finishing. Yay!
All in all, I'm glad that I did the race. It was a festive atmosphere among the runners at least. For the most part things like crowd support and music on the course were pretty minimal. I do think Team Ortho could have put a couple more water stops along the course. It seemed like other than at the start/finish line, there were only a couple of biffies at each of the water stops. The course itself was an out and back and consisted of mostly sort of gently rolling hills. There was a nice view of the skyline for a couple of miles. However, it wasn't the most scenic of races. The St. Paddy's day madness was pretty much what carried this off as an event.

After the race, M. met me, while I stretched and downed a bottle of water. I ran into a couple of running friends and chatted with them for a few minutes. Then I was off to shower, have a birthday brunch, and enjoy a day in the Cities which included a stroll around Lake Calhoun and a delicious Coo Coo for Coconut birthday cupcake from Sweet Retreat.
Cupcake Porn
I have 7 weeks between now and the time that I toe the line at the Capital City Half-Marathon in Columbus. This week will be a low mileage week, as I'm recovering and headed to Boston for a conference and other academic activities. Post-recovery, though, I'm looking forward to some speed work outs and some more double digit long runs. I aim to be in better shape that first weekend in May and to run a faster race than I did on Saturday.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! and Congratulations on completing another Half Marathon, on getting back to it after an injury. Enjoy those endorphins now and take it easy as you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! It sounds like you had a good birthday! I have never run a themed or costume race, but I always thought it sounded like it would be a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Glad you had a good race and enjoyed a cupcake reward!
    I LOVE MOA. Strangely, it's the only mall I can tolerate. But it has a ROLLER COASTER!
    Enjoy the rest of your birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly, that cupcake! From one coconut lover to another, YUM!

    It sounds like you had a really fun race weekend, even if your race time was a bit slower than you had hoped. The fact that you were able to train for this race and keep all your academic balls in the air is very impressive--I certainly struggle with finding the time and balance to keep everything going without losing my mind. It seems very likely that your May half-marathon will be faster than this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree that the St Paddy's Day madness is what carried this race. I did really enjoy it, though. Hope you had an enjoyable remainder of the day and a very happy birthday! It sounds like it was at least off to a great start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday and great job! It's definitely very difficult to get used to the warmer temperatures after winter ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I love that picture of us! It turned out so great! I am so glad I got to see you all, dinner was so fun. I am so excited for all that is to come - and can't wait to read all about your adventures.

    Nice work on the 1/2. It was a steamy morning. I did 8 miles with my running group - the coaches commented on how it was very, very warm and humid so everyone was advised to drink more and be careful as our bodies are not used to these temps! I mean, it was above 60 when i started running at 7 am!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For those of us who don't run like myself, completing this course is amazing, though you are critical of your effort. And, yes, that cupcake is indeed porn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not every race is glorious. This was probably great practice for your upcoming half, and a great time to boot! I hope you're having a great time in Boston, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.