On Saturday I will run the Get Lucky Half-Marathon. It will be my first race of 2012 and it's a race that's taking place on my birthday. I have plans to meet up with Lisa and another friend for dinner the night before and to do something fun in the Twin Cities afterward. (I had planned on lifting my shopping ban for the day and going on a mini-spree, but it looks like the tax man cometh instead.)
Although I'm not aiming for a PR at the Get Lucky, I do want to end the race feeling like I'm getting my racing year off to a decent start. My goals for this race are:
A) Enjoy the experience of getting to run a half-marathon on my birthday. I can't think of a better way to celebrate another year of life than by doing one of my favorite things. After having to back out of a fall marathon due to injury, this will be my first race in several months. I want to celebrate that I'm running again and that I've made it back into the double digits.
B) Finish in under 2:30:00. I know this won't be a PR effort, but I also don't want it to be my slowest half either. Because of interruptions to my training cycle, the longest run that I've done during the past couple of months has been 10.1 miles. I'm confident, though, that the race day adrenaline and the feeling of running in a pack will help me through the last couple of miles and help me to hang on to a pace under 11:30min/mile.
Have you ever run a race on your birthday? Do you celebrate St. Paddy's day?
First, happy birthday a few days early. Second, have a great time this weekend!
ReplyDeleteYea! I am so excited to see you! It's been way too long - feels like our November visit was a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteI have never raced on my birthday and I've never done a St. Paddy's day race, either! I am bummed I am not running this race, but know it's best for me not to as I would have had to increase my mileage so fast, I fear i would have injured myself!
I hope you achieve your goals for the race and have a wonderful birthday!
ReplyDeletewoo! yay for birthday races. Have a blast!! :)
ReplyDeletePerfect way to spend your birthday! You need to have cake waiting for you at the finish line!
ReplyDeleteMy birthday has the potential to fall on NYC marathon some year. I always say I'll do it that year...
Damn tax man.
ReplyDeleteI haven't gone out on St. Patrick's Day in several years, but I'm gonna do it up right this year!
Oooh, good luck! Never raced *on* my birthday but have raced close to it (America's Finest City Half Marathon in August).
ReplyDeleteAs for St. Patty's day, my husband has recently started making corned beef and cabbage to celebrate. Delish!!!
Great way to celebrate a birthday, especially since you get to catch up with friends. I think you're smart to set a realistic goal that pushes you a bit while respecting where you're at in the training. Getting back to a Half without injury is goal enough, really.
ReplyDeleteYou are going to have so much fun! I think my birthday is not a huge deal to me, so I often do whatever I would do on a normal day! But I have never run a race on mine! Have fun with Lisa; it will be fun to go out to dinner and to catch up, I am sure!
ReplyDeleteA half marathon on your birthday? Sounds like a terrific plan! Hope you have lots of fun!
ReplyDeleteI think running a half-marathon on your birthday is a great idea. What awesome motivation! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
I have never run so far on ANY day in my life, much less a birthday. Best wishes for meeting your goals.
ReplyDeleteHave a great race, R! I like your goals :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm not much of a holiday person, to be honest. Other than Christmas with the family and some birthdays, I don't tend to celebrate holidays. Maybe I'm a party pooper?
That sounds like a great way to spend a birthday! Have fun! :)
ReplyDeleteGOOD LUCK!! I've never done a race on my birthday, but it sounds like a great way to celebrate.
ReplyDelete