Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Big News: I'm Moving West!

So, one of the reasons that my training cycle for the Get Lucky half has been less than perfectly consistent was that I was on the job market this year searching for a tenure-track position. I had a couple of interviews at the annual meeting of the American Historical Association in Chicago back in January and then I had a few phone interviews and took a trip to a comprehensive teaching university in the Pacific Northwest back in February for a campus visit. For privacy reasons, I'm hesitant to reveal the name of the school at this time here on my blog, but I'm thrilled to announce that a couple of weeks ago I was offered the job! After some negotiations with the administration, I have accepted the position and will be moving to my new location at the end of July/beginning of August!

I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to sandwiching a major move between research trips to Madrid and New York this summer. However, I am looking forward to arriving in my new city and to starting my new job on the tenure-track. From what I've seen and experienced so far, the department that I will be joining and the school itself are a great fit for me. I can't wait for this adventure to begin! I'm looking forward to settling into a new office, advising history majors, establishing new writing routines, finding new favorite coffee shops to write, discovering new running routes, joining a new running community, and meeting new colleagues.

31 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is such exciting news and I'm so glad you've found a job that will hopefully give you the security and satisfaction you have worked so hard for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how very exciting!!! Congratulations!!!
    What a fun and busy summer you will have. Lots of opportunity for exploring too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! You're on the cusp of something exciting, I wish you all the best at your new institution and look forward to hearing about how TT life is going (while still maintaining running goals and a life outside of academia).

    Congratulations again!

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations! sounds like an exciting adventure. sounds like a whirlwind 2012 is ahead, filled with new experiences. busy, busy, busy - Good Luck and BREATHE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such great news!!!! I'm so happy for you!


    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new position. Sounds like a great move for you - hope it is everything you want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME. You've worked so hard for this. How wonderful to see it pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I will be in TO for Passover very briefly. I don't know what our schedules are looking like, but we will have to get together next December for sure when I'm back for longer.

      Delete
  8. Aahhhh! That's HUGE! Congrats upon congrats. I'm really happy and excited for you. Go PNW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! This is so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! That is so exciting, and I hope all the moving and travels goes smoothly! Sounds like an exciting summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow--this is HUGE! Congrats to you. It sounds like a really nice match for you. Busy summer, but all worth it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. !!!

    Wow! Hurray! Wunderbar! I am SO EXCITED for you, my dear! Everything is coming together this year, and I wish you all the best in your summer research adventures and the big move west.

    Congratulations! {Insert happy dance here}

    ReplyDelete
  13. I already squeed through Facebook, but squee! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!!! That's wonderful news. (Tenure track jobs are so hard to find these days.) And the Pacific Northwest is beautiful. Hubby when to grad school in Seattle, and I miss it all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAYYYYY Pacific Northwest! AMAZING area. I come down to the Seattle area a few times a year so if you're in that general vicinity let me know :) And you HAVE to visit Vancouver if you've never been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Vancouver and I'm really excited to explore it! I'm thinking I might try to do a fall race there.

      Delete
  16. Yea! This is so exciting!! I am so happy for you. I can't wait to hear more about it when I see you on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I want to know the location. Perhaps a hint or two...who are the bloggers in that area...

    Your life this summer will certainly be vibrant. And, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out once I start taking pictures in my new location. :)

      Delete
  18. Congratulations! The new position sounds like a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I don't know where you are going to be but I LOVE the Pacific NW, so when you get settled, let me know and I will come up and have coffee with you. I hope it's Portland. Or Seattle. But the coffee is good pretty much anywhere! I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! This is very good news!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh your kidding!? The Nortwest is awesome! Can't wait for your big reaveal. Yay

    ReplyDelete
  22. HUZZAH!!!! Major kudos to you--what wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is amazing and deserved news! Congratulations to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YAY! CONGRATS! So excited on your behalf. And the Pacific Northwest is my favorite part of the country, so I'm both proud and maybe a little jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.