Monday, April 2, 2012

A Day in the Life of Higher Ed

I'll have my monthly goal-setting post up tomorrow, but today is Higher Ed Awareness Day. You might be asking yourself why professors would need a day of awareness. Well, unfortunately, we don't really seem to do a very good job of explaining what we do the public and that can lead to at best uniformed and at worst dishonest attacks on our profession.

Last Sunday I returned home from my trip to Boston, where I gave two public lectures (which took me about 10 hours to write and prepare all told) and where I attended an academic conference in my field. Apart from the fact that I was eating crap food in airports, I was spending my Sunday in a pretty typical way: grading papers, reading in order to prepare my classes for the upcoming week, and responding to student emails. I don't usually mind working on Sundays because I love what I do, but it really pisses me off when someone claims that college professors work 30 hours a week and have 22 weeks of vacation or alternative employment during the year. As someone who has spent maybe 5 days without working (when I haven't been paid for about 25 more days that I have worked) since January 1, this really rubs me the wrong way.
Giving a Public Lecture
One of the things that I do enjoy about my job is that it provides me with relative flexibility. I'm in the classroom 12 hours a week (I teach three four-credit hour courses a semester) and have office hours for another 8-10 hours each week. This means that if I want to write lectures or work on my research or write committee meeting minutes or grade papers at home in my pjs or at a coffee shop I can. However, that absolutely does not mean that someone should assume that I am not working when I am not on campus or when I am not actually physically in the classroom. For every hour that I'm in the classroom, I probably spend 2-4 hours preparing. This can go down a bit when I've taught the class before, but it can also go up a bit for classes that I've never taught before. I'm not going to lie. I put a lot of time into my teaching. I love teaching, and I constantly experiment in order to try to improve. Every class that I have taught has been different - in format, in chemistry, in the kinds of assignments that I choose to have my students do (and that I then have to grade). Things that work well in a class of 20 do not in a class of 65 and vice versa. Grading is also a time consuming proposition. Depending on the length of the assignment, it might take me 20-60 minutes to grade a single essay. If I have a class of 50 students.... Well, you can see that I spend a lot of time marking papers. I don't just run some scantrons through a machine and call it a day.

Of course, teaching is not all that faculty do. We are higher educators. That means that we are trained experts in our field. I happen to be an expert in European and Atlantic World history from 1500-1800. (Not to be all snide about having a PhD. It just means that I have received specialized training that I spent close to a decade in school getting.) Most universities give their faculty members tenure and promote them based on their research (often read: publications and conference presentations) and their service to their institution and profession as well as their teaching. If I just spent 12 hours in the classroom, 8 hours in office hours, and 24 hours doing class prep, then I have already worked over forty hours in a given week. Let's say that I didn't have any assignments to grade that week and I had few visitors to my office hours so I was able to gain 6 hours by doing class prep while sitting in my campus office. Well, I still have worked close to 40 hours and not yet met any of the expectations that my institution has for me in the other categories on which I am evaluated. Throw in a committee meeting or two, a university event, a letter of recommendation to write for a student, and 8 hours spent on research and writing and bam! That is my typical week when there is no grading. When I have a stack of papers that comes in or during midterm season, I have to work even more if I want to make progress on research. During the summer, I don't actually get paid, but that is the time when I actually am able to devote most of my energies to my research, which I also love. Summers are also the time when academics who haven't taken on summer teaching are able to go to archives and libraries for their research, participate in workshops, and start preparing their classes for the upcoming year.

My work doesn't always start at 8 or 9am and it almost never ends at 5pm. It isn't bounded by Mondays and Fridays. I don't punch a time clock, but if I did no one would be able to accuse me of only working 30 hours a week. I'll be tweeting my day today as I go using the hashtag #dayofhighered so that you can get a sense of what a pretty typical day in the life of one faculty member in the Humanities/Social Sciences looks like.

I don't make assumptions that the occupations of others are easy. Please don't make those assumptions about mine. I realize that I'm probably preaching to the choir here, as many of you who read my blog are fellow academics. I also know that many of you who read my blog and are not academics are aware that I work hard and sometimes long hours. So I'll step off my soap box now and just say that if you had a professor or educator who inspired you or made a difference in your life, let them know. Because appreciation is even better than awareness.

14 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic and honest post. Thank you for really unpacking what academics do so that it is more transparent for people who are unfamiliar with the profession!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...and a perfect recitation of what we actually do.


    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Standing up and clapping* Hurray for honesty! Thank you for making us aware. I am obviously not an academic, but I never, ever thought that professors had it easy. In fact, one of the reasons I am not a teacher is that I have heard from friends who are teachers how hard it is. Not only the grading, but for example, a friend of mine teaches kindergarten and she buys most of the kid's supplies on her own dime because of the lack of funding and budgeting from the state. I know this is different from your situation, but I think teachers/professors in all levels are heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post that I enjoyed reading. I'll be the first to admit I don't really know what it takes for a professor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for putting this out there. I have several friends who are professors and I see all that they do--it extends well beyond the classroom, as you say. I like that you clearly have a passion for your work. Congrats on finding your right place in the professional world and glad you could use this forum to fill everyone in on all that goes on behind the scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely would find teaching tough, so I admire you for being able to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I consider myself part of the choir, even though I'm not teaching yet. I'm glad to see academics taking up the fight to defend our profession--some of our critics are woefully uninformed, and frankly, I'm embarrassed for them. I read Phil Nel's response to the article to which I think you are referring, and he did a really nice job debunking this idea that professors work 30 hours a week.

    We all know you work hard! And I am so grateful for the way you inspire me to be better at all the things I do--you set the bar high :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work every day of almost every weekend, including when I travel and have guests. Bravo on a great post. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Ray, for the awesome post! The individuals who offer these critiques of academics are clearly misinformed. But it is time for us to become more transparent about how we spend our time if we are to counteract these attacks. I really appreciate you taking the lead--you are an excellent spokesperson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. It is really too bad that you had to defend your position. I never have thought those who work in academia have it easy or work few hours, etc, etc. I know how much work goes into teaching something - and then there is the grading and such. And your kind of grading is time intensive because it's not as simple as a multiple choice test or something like that.

    I always love hearing more about what you do for a living - I find it so fascinating! Bravo to you on the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said! In teaching institutions like the working-class community college where I teach, all full time instructors teach a 15 credit hour load, plus however much overload they can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. clearly, you must be mistaken, because David C Levy says you only work 12 hours a week. 24 max, maybe.

    I'm no longer blogging, so thank you for writing what has been stewing in my head for the last several days. Every time I think of his article I get so upset.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *clapping*

    I recently had a run-in with a family member who assumed I'd babysit 2 toddlers for 72 hours because (and I quote): "Don't you work from home?"
    (I'm still steaming over that one.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.