Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Perceptions on the Running Culture in Madrid

When I lived in Madrid five or so years ago, I ran inconsistently. In part, this was because I was a smoker at the time and not really in the best shape for an activity that can burn even healthy lungs at times. In part, though, it was because I always felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb when I ran in Madrid. I almost never saw other runners out on the streets and even in the parks there weren't all that many runners. Those who I encountered tended to be fast guys. It wasn't exactly encouraging.

Well, I'm happy to report that something has changed in the five years since I have moved away. I see runners everywhere now, and it's obvious that they're not all tourists. I still see more men than women running, but I no longer feel at all self-conscious about running in Madrid. Since my arrival last week, I have seen runners of various genders, shapes, sizes, and at various times of day in various places. I've seen them in the narrow streets near my apartment. I've seen them in the parks. I've seen them along the wider avenues leading to the museums and the business districts. I've seen them along the river. This heartens me significantly. The city that I love so much has given me yet another reason to love it.

Perhaps one of the causal factors in the boost to running culture is that there is now a relatively new space for running, cycling, and rollerblading in Madrid. About 10 kilometers of paths intermixed with playgrounds and basketball courts now stretch along the Manzanares River in Madrid. I went on my first little run on this new-to-me route a couple of days ago.





When I went hiking this past Saturday, I fell into conversation for a while with a runner from Madrid. He had a Madrid medio maraton technical shirt, and we got to discussing distance running. He said that he and a group of guys run together every weekend. I told him that I'd love to run the Madrid Marathon some day, but it probably won't be in the near future because it falls on a date in the middle of the academic term. I'm going to keep it on my bucket list, though. And hopefully during the interim the running culture in Madrid continues to flourish.

Runners, have you ever lived in a city where there was no running culture or have you ever been pleasantly surprised to find a lot of runners in a place where you didn't expect them?

8 comments:

  1. I have only lived in Minneapolis, and we have a wonderful running culture! I grew up in an area where running was not prevalent, though! I only knew of one teacher who ran - he ran marathons and everyone in my tiny town was like - why does he do that?

    When I visited Paris I was told that running was not common there. But I did it anyways. I didn't see a ton of runners, but I did see some. I can't wait to do the Paris marathon some day - hopefully in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice that things have changed and sounds like you may meet some interesting runners while there. I stuck out really bad when I tried to run while in China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting topic, R! I've thought a lot about the outdoors culture here in Texas, and I have to say, it's better than I expected. The half-marathon I've run every year has had a great turn-out, and it's not uncommon to be out and about around town and to see runners out there. I think the drivers here are still overly aggressive toward pedestrians, but perhaps that attitude will improve over time. One thing that's tough for us is that a lot of streets don't have sidewalks, which makes pedestrians look not very smart. But what else are we supposed to do? Avoid being outside or avoid those streets? That seems unreasonable to me. I try to handle it by being really careful and alert to cars when I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We find the same difference in France over the last 7 or so years we've been visiting -- there are more and more runners at all levels. And I'd say there are many more of what we used to call "joggers," maintaining a pace that seems a wee bit comic to me -- more what a doctor would have ordered for health than out of any actual joy in the movement. Still, they're out and doing it, right?
    More than any other city, though, San Sebastian, the first Spanish city we've spent any time in, had many runners out on the promenade next to the many, many walkers -- perhaps they're all moving to burn the calories they'll consume in pintxos . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the above commenter, I ran in San Sebastian and noticed several other runners. I also lived and ran in London and found that there are tons of green spaces with some excellent paths! On the other hand, so many cities I have lived in and been to abroad have had no runners. I think part of this is because many of them have been poorer countries and they don't have time for extracurricular (or frivolous) activities. Or maybe they need to save their strength!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madrid is beautiful! No-one ran where I grew up but my new city (which isn't really new anymore since I've been here almost 4 years now!) has a great running culture and it's actually a lot of the reason behind why I became a runner! It's definitely nice to see other people out there when you're out for a run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That definitely sounds like an awesome thing to be on your bucket list. I love running in new to me cities. I always feel like I have a better sense of the place after viewing it via foot. Often times I feel out of place running in other cities, but it's what makes me me and I love that. For example - when we went back to Michigan two winters ago for Christmas, I ran every day, even in 0 deg temps because I just HAD to get out of the house. I'm sure Pete's family thought I was crazy for it, but it kept me sane!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos!

    Before I moved, I expected that Pensacola (as a very "southern" town) would not have much of a running community. I have been pleasantly surprised. Running here tends to focus more on shorter distances (maybe it's the heat). There are 5ks every month, and a couple of half marathons each year.

    PS - I noticed a disproportionate share of males / females in Barcelona, too. Maybe it's a Spanish thing?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.