On Saturday I went hiking with a group of people in the
countryside to the northwest of Madrid. A couple of years ago I had encountered
this hiking group on Facebook. It popped up in my suggestions, possibly because
I had posted something about doing the Camino de Santiago or possibly because
every now and then FB’s algorithms can be spookishly spot on. I had liked the
group and every now and then had seen it pop up in my newsfeed. On Wednesday
while I was checking email and waiting for my documents to arrive at the
Biblioteca Nacional a post popped up from the administrator of the group to say
that the group’s email account wasn’t working so that anyone who wanted info
about the upcoming hike should contact him on the FB page or by his personal
email. I emailed him and asked him for details about the hike and decided it
would be a fun way to get some exercise, breathe some fresh air, and meet some
people. Plus, he was offering pb&j’s as part of the lunch fare. In my
opinion, peanut butter always tastes even better in a country where it is
harder to find and spendy to purchase.
Saturday morning I got up, got ready, and caught a bus to the meeting point at the bus station at Plaza de Castilla. From there the group took an 11:00 bus to pueblo called Manzanares El Real and walked about 20 or 30 minutes to the real starting point of the hike in La Pedriza. We were a group of about 30 people, and we were very international in nature. There were people from Spain, Ireland, Scotland, Poland, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Venezuela, Columbia, and the states. Many members of the international crowd had been living in Spain for several years. Everyone was very nice and it was a fun day of switching languages and climbing up and down rocks.
| The Castillo in Manzanares El Real |
| Hikers |
| Still sweaty but fortified by food and ready for the descent |
The descent was mostly physically easier if a bit more
mentally taxing. I put my camera away and focused more on my footing. I did
bite it a couple of times and got a nice scrape on my hand the second time. I
wasn’t the only one, though, as several other people got a bit scraped and
bruised on the way down. Fortunately, though, no one was seriously injured in
any of the falls. On our way down, we suddenly heard a loud noise as if someone
was tumbling end over end in the brush just a few yards from where we were
standing. Although I never spotted it to be sure, several people in the group
were convinced that it was a mountain goat rushing down. All I can say is I
nearly had a heart attack because for a few seconds I thought a hiker was
tumbling end over end down the hill. During the last hour of the hike it
started to rain, and I actually didn’t mind, as I had been hot and sweaty
during the better part of the day. We arrived back in the village and had a
caƱa (a small glass of beer for those not in the know) and caught the 6:45 bus
back to Madrid.
It had been a full day and I was exhausted, so I turned on
my hot water heater, ate some dinner, took a blessedly hot shower, and climbed
into bed. The restorative sleep definitely helped and I was only about as sore
as I am after a half-marathon the next day.
What did you do this weekend? Any races? Any museum trips?
Wow, that sounds awesome!! How cool that you were such an international group. Just think - that never would have happened if it wasn't for facebook! Kind of crazy how that application can impact our lives.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great and challenging hike. I can't imagine that sound - I am glad it wasn't a hiker! I get nervous on the downhill part, too. You have to CONCENTRATE so hard!!
I ran 10 miles this weekend and studied A LOT.
sounds like you're maximizing your time there. a hike in the country sounds like a great break from the archives in the city!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds bot kind of scary and also really fun! I'm glad you had the chance to do it and also that you made it safely down. I actually had a monumentally crappy weekend - my last ditch attempt at employment next year bottomed up so I spent most of my time frantically starting to throw together a move to Canada in 4 weeks!
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
I love doing that kind of stuff, both the active aspect and the meeting international groups of people aspect! It sounds like a lot of fun! I had a trail race this weekend and then spent time with my family for a combo Mother's Day/Birthday brunch!
ReplyDeleteThat looks and sounds fantastic. What a great way to spend a Sunday in Spain--I am jealous!
ReplyDeleteMy day yesterday also included a hike, but not quite the same scenery! ; )
That looks like quite a hike!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like an interesting and challenging hike. I know that in my western Montana days that the hikes down from a summit were definitely more challenging than the hike up. Often, my legs would feel like rubber!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds absolutely fabulous!
ReplyDeleteWell... except for the falling part.
I've taken a few tumbles on the trail (always going down! why is that?) and they're never fun. Glad you've got no serious injuries and did get some spectacular photos! :)
Ooh, what a fun adventure. I know what you mean about the danger of hikes--I felt that way when hiking in California a few years ago. But the views are so worth it, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing so many Spain gorgeous photos with us--what a beautiful country!