Monday, June 18, 2012

House Buying and Hiking

M. and I spent the last week in Alaska and just got back to Midwest early this morning on a red-eye. We consider the trip to have been highly successful. Our realtor arranged showings of about 15 homes for us, and we liked a few of them a lot. On our first day of looking we saw one that we really liked but that was on the very edge of our price range. The next day we saw a home that we loved just as much that was more affordable for us, so we made an offer on it. It was accepted and we close in mid-July!

View from the street
We managed to get a home inspection done while we were in town so that we could be present for it, and, although there were a couple of small issues that need to be attended to, the house checked out, and we were able to breathe a sigh of relief. We were even happier when the seller agreed to fix all those little problems. In between housing errands, we opened a bank account, picked out a few pieces of new furniture, chose paint colors for the master bedroom (which is currently an almost-black shade of eggplant purple) and the kitchen and dining area, and shared a couple of meals with some of my new colleagues.

I didn't run the entire time we were there because of a combination of factors, including the location of our hotel and our schedule. However, M. and I were able to fit in a couple of 1.5-2 hour hikes. It was still snowy on the mountains and we didn't have very good gear for tackling inclines, so we stuck to more gentle inclines and easier paths.

Hiking the Powerline Trail
The trip was a success and now we just have some paperwork odds and ends to deal with and of course packing and preparing for the move over the next few weeks. My stint in the Upper Midwest is drawing to a close, as I'll be gone for part of next month, working on a research project in New York. I need to more or less divide most of my days between writing and prepping for the move between now and the time I leave for NYC. I do have some plans to get in some favorite running routes here while I can and a group run or two.

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! How exciting, sounds like you found a great home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That was fast! That's awesome. I am glad that it went well for you guys! Also, that trail looks great. I am so jealous that you are going to be in such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely couldn't have done it in such a timely fashion without the help of our great realtor. He helped us narrow down neighborhoods that would work for us and our budget and kept sending us potential listings the week before we went out there. You are welcome to come visit and run a race whenever you want!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finding a great house! I hope to visit Alaska someday. I hear such great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Your new home is beautiful - can't wait to see pictures of the interior. Eggplant - that's an intense color for a bedroom. ;)

    I am glad I get to see you one final time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so dark. I could probably handle it if the room had more windows, but M. can't stand it at all.

      Yay for our theater outing next week!

      Delete
  6. But the question is, can you see Sarah Palin's backyard from your house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Moving can be a stressful, but also a liberating and wonderful experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Very exciting news. Sounds like you found the perfect house for you guys.

    The Alaskan trip had to have been spectacular. You've had an amazing summer so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That view is gorgeous. Congratulations on the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great house and gorgeous locale! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has got to be a huge relief to you. I'm amazed that you were able to accomplish so much within a week and to spend some time hiking as well. This is propitious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! We were afraid it was a bad sign when we arrived last week and there were no Alaska maps in our GPS, but I think it's going to work out.

      Delete
  12. I've been busy getting ready to move myself, I missed the Alaska announcement, congrats! I have heard nothing but great things about that city.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo-hoo! What excellent news. The house is adorable, and you must be relieved and elated to have secured a home for the big move west. Good luck with the move and the research trip--you are a busy bee this summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful place you are moving to!! Congrats on the house and good luck getting everything finished before the move!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very happy for you -- what a relief to find a house you can imagine your future new life in. This will be such an exciting time for you settling into a new community and beginning a TT job. So many ticks on your big lifelist!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.