On Wednesday morning we hit the road to Rapid City to stay the night and to spend a few hours at Mount Rushmore. We did stop at Wall Drug on our way, but I really can't talk about that, as I'm still having nightmares about the place where kitsch and chotchkies went to die....
As an adult and a professional historian, Rushmore proved to be both fascinating and disappointing. The site itself is awe-inspiring and I won't deny that it looked really spectacular when lit up at night. However, the devil is in the details. The informational plaques that visitors can read as they walk the trail and gain different vantage points of Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Lincoln were truly odd. The quotes were ill-chosen and some of the information listed on them was rather misleading. For example, the Roosevelt plaque claimed that he was the first president to travel outside the US. While it was true that he was the first to travel outside the US as president, he was not the first to have foreign experience as an ambassador, etc. The Jefferson plaque made no mention of him as the author of the Declaration of Independence. Issues of slave-owning were entirely omitted.
M. and I stayed for the evening lighting ceremony, during which we were treated to a 20 minute film proclaiming that America stands for freedom and democracy and has become the ideal republic. On the one hand, the film was narrated by Captain Sisko Avery Brooks, so that was good, and it did at least play lip service to the fact that there had been some struggles for freedom and liberties to reach the common man and non-whites. On the other hand, the film suggested that these struggles for equal rights and liberties finished playing out long ago. This is hardly true, and we need to have the integrity to admit this and to continue to work to achieve that ideal republic. America cannot be the land of the free and the home of the brave when it refuses to acknowledge the darker parts of its history or that many of its citizens still face discrimination.
Some might think that kids need to be spared the complexities of their nation's past until they are older or that families don't need to be made uncomfortable by having to think about injustices while on their vacation, but I would argue that we could stand a bit more critical thinking and empathy and more rigorous history lessons if we want future generations of Americans to be aware of the benefits and obligations of living in a representative democracy - not to mention for them to be competitive in a global setting.
That would be so cool to see!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to Mount Rushmore, but I agree with your points about not cherry-picking our history in order to make America look good. It's an interesting thing about human nature, I think, this tendency toward all-or-nothing extremes. A more sophisticated worldview lets us feel proud of all the good stuff our country has done (and there is a lot to be proud of) while acknowledging that we have more work to do.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been there since I was young - I saw it around age 4 and then again at age 12, but don't have vivid memories of either trip. It is too bad that they edited it as they did. I agree, it's better to 'fess up to the fact that we still have a ways together... otherwise we risk raising a youth that is complacent about the state of the world!
ReplyDeleteGlad to connect with you through Abbi! What an awesome trip... I completely agree that kids should know the truth about our history and the injustices that are still present today. They tend to be more passionate about setting things right when they're young, why rob them of the chance to develop that passion? I wish I had been told more at an earlier age.
ReplyDelete*clapping*
ReplyDeleteOur national history* is glorious, but it is also messy. Very well written!
*and our present...
I've never actually been to South Dakota, even though I have lived in Minnesota for most of my life. Mount Rushmore would be interesting.
ReplyDeleteI am with you on giving kids the straight scoop at a far earlier age than they receive it in the US. I've never seen the view at night.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a great time. I have never been to Mt. Rushmore! I heard it looks very small... I agree with you about the history. It's pretty annoying sometimes how the history books/plaques/info are skewed a certain way to fit someone's ideals.
ReplyDelete