I was supposed to run my last local race in this neck of the woods this morning, but due to a neck crick and shoulder spasm that came out of nowhere on Monday night and has lingered to cause pain and a limited range of motion I decided this morning when the time for the last evaluation came to go back to bed instead of going to run 5 miles. It was disappointing, but ultimately 5 miles is not worth the risk right now of not being able to finish my share of the packing and of not being able to carry my luggage on my trip to New York. I'm trying to console myself with thoughts like, "it probably wouldn't have been a PR effort anyway because of the heat" and "the course wasn't that interesting last year." I'll take a walk later today as that seems to help loosen it up, whereas running seems to jar my neck and cause more pain, as I discovered on the treadmill yesterday.
This incident has pretty much confirmed to me, though, that my living room couch is a death trap. We all know that sitting so much is leading to all sorts of health problems, but who gets an injury while lounging on the couch and (to add insult to injury) watching The Spirit of the Marathon?!? Seriously, I was laying on my sofa with my head propped up on my husband's leg for maybe the last hour of the film. When I sat up, I felt a tug and pain in my right shoulder and neck. Then, when I stood up, I realized the pain was getting much worse and not likely to go away in a few minutes.
I do hope it goes away soon, but my experience with back injuries makes me fear that this might be a nagging problem for a while. In the meantime, we're gearing up for a laid-back 4th. We'll probably grill something and drink a couple of beers this evening, but otherwise I'll be spending most of my day trying to avoid moving suddenly while packing up the rest of my clothes and most of my toiletries.
American readers, I wish you a safe and happy holiday today!
Oh, the irony! lol I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that though, especially right now when you've got so much going on. Hope you feel better soon! Maybe a nice muscle relaxer to go with those beers...
ReplyDeleteA couple of beers will do some good muscle relaxing work. I, too, have learned that muscle spasms deserve to be treated with respect, and I think you're really wise to back off. That neck and shoulder stuff speaks to tension -- surprise, surprise! Do take care of yourself (but perhaps not on the couch . . .)
ReplyDeleteAt least the movie was good, right? ;-) I'm sorry to hear you've been sidelined by a weird couch injury and hope that it heals quickly!
ReplyDeleteAnd happy 4th to you, too, my dear!
I knew there was a reason I get so angry at myself when I spend a day on the couch...I might get injured! Hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteOh, no- I'm so sorry! I went on a run on my own yesterday and my unhappy shin is even more unhappy now... so I might have to back off running a bit. Injuries are so frustrating!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling better soon - certainly in time for your upcoming travel and move!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you didn't do it. It's not worth hurting yourself when you are going to be so busy this month!
ReplyDelete