Monday, July 9, 2012

Greetings from NYC

I arrived in New York yesterday evening after a very fun weekend in Madison to celebrate the wedding of a dear friend. I found my "B&B" (which is a very cute room in an apartment in Harlem) and got settled in without difficulty. I went out and grabbed a slice of pizza for dinner and walked around for a little bit, but I was tired and sweaty from a day of traveling after a pretty late night the night before so I didn't stay out for long.

Because the archives are closed on Mondays, I slept in a little bit this morning and then headed out for a run in Central Park. It was around 8:00 but it was a cooler day today and the temperature was quite pleasant compared to the oppressive heat of last week in the Midwest. There were quite a few other runners out in the park, but it wasn't yet crowded with much tourist traffic. It made for a very enjoyable easy 2.5 miles. As this was my first run in over a week, I kept the pace slow and threw in a couple of walk breaks to take a few photos with my phone. I was thrilled that my neck and shoulder felt back to normal  both before and after the run. It's both a relief and a luxury that I can now plan on running a few times a week while I'm here.
After my run, I got cleaned up, had some coffee, and headed out to do a bit of exploring. I ate an early lunch of a sandwich and a banana in the Conservatory Garden since I hadn't made it there on my run. Then I went to the Guggenheim Museum. I had actually planned to go to either the Cloisters or the Museo del Barrio but realized that they, like many of the museums here, are closed on Mondays. I hadn't been to the Guggenheim previously (at least not the one in New York), though, and, while abstract expressionism isn't my favorite, it was well worth the trip. After a couple of hours in the museum, I decided I needed a snack and headed to Magnolia Bakery for a treat.



I've had sushi for dinner and am back in my B&B with a novel on my kindle for the evening as I have a full day ahead of me tomorrow. If you have any (relatively economical) restaurant recommendations for NYC, I'd love for you to leave them in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous day you've had. Happy for you, and maybe just a teeny weeny bit jealous. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it sounds like just the perfect day! Any day that starts with a run in Central Park is a great day!
    If you're looking for another yummy cupcake, try Crumbs. Oh, the best! And if you happen to be on Bway & 80th, duck in to Zabar's for the cinnamon reggelach. It's my favorite - hope you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a marvelous beginning to this stay in New York. It's been so long since I've been there, I could not make any recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that cupcake. Never got to try Magnolia---jealous! Enjoy NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad it was not too hot for your run! Or crowded! I am not a cupcake fan, but my friends are and we went to Magnolia last time I was there with them. They really loved the Red Velvet! I can't tell what kind you got but it looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy travels to you! I expect more reports on the good food and running in NYC. (Seriously, though, have a GREAT time.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your time in NYC is off to such a great start. I have never ran in Central Park but definitely want to some day. I am glad you were able to beat the tourist traffic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.