Monday, July 23, 2012

Itinerary of Insanity

Happy Monday! I'm back in the Midwest for about 48 more hours. Even though I did a lot of packing before I left for NY and M. did a lot of packing while I was gone, we still have lots of odds and ends left to pack, throw out, or donate today. We have some various errands to run. For example, M. somehow managed to lose a library book during the course of the chaos, so he has to take in the copy he bought to replace it. Later this evening we're having some pizza and beers with a couple of dear friends, who we will encourage to take any of the food that we still have in our fridge and pantry that they want. Our movers come tomorrow morning.

On Wednesday we start driving for six days. This is what our crazy-ass itinerary looks like.


Most of the days will entail 10-14 hours of driving, so apart from pitstops at regular intervals for Bailey and for me, Captain Weak Bladder, we won't have time to dally or play tourist along the way. The schedule is tight because I return to NY the first weekend in August to finish work on the project. Wish us luck! I'll try to find some internets along the road to check in and do some blog reading as time permits.

13 comments:

  1. Take care! And do some good stretches on those pitstops -- that's a lot of driving, a lot of sitting. . . But what an adventure, driving to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally jealous of your adventure. I've always wanted to go to Alaska. Alaska! Westward ho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like some trip! I am also Captain weak bladder. We drove to Oregon a few weeks ago, which takes about 9 hours, and we probably stopped 9 times! Have fun and take lots of photos! You should be driving through some beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an adventure...hope the trip goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did part of this drive (Minnesota to Alberta) a few weeks ago - fun times, but you'll get stir crazy after about day 4. Take lots to entertain yourself, and watch our for the state troopers/RCMP for speeding! Stretch B to C is a great drive, amazing scenery! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know, I just did my 12 hours of driving a day from New Haven to Alberta so I wish you good luck! And let me know if you have time to grab a bite when you pass through Edmonton.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe travels! You'll be in the area where I grew up for the first leg of the journey. I apologize for the incredibly boring drive that stretch of North Dakota will be. ;)

    Happy trails!! I am sad that you are leaving MN, but excited for you guys at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Travels. I'll bet you'll see some gorgeous territory whether you stop to take photos or not. and once you are settled, I'd like to see a count of all the miles you've traveled thi summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your journey goes smoothly. I hope you do have time to snap some pictures I bet the scenery will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. What a trek! Have fun, be careful, and try to enjoy the ride. And to take some photos from the passenger seat when you can--the effect is very cool. Some of my favorite traveling photos that I've taken have been taken while in motion.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah! That looks more insane that the drive Hubby and I did from Seattle to Pensacola 2 years ago. We planned a day of rest to visit his family + tried for <9 hours of driving/day.

    My best roadtrip advice: Rest up. Seek out fruits and vegetables (even in convenience stores). Pack some good audiobooks or podcasts. Use restroom stops for walk/yoga breaks. And remember - you won't be driving forever (even when it seems like you will)!

    SAFE TRAVELS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.