We have arrived at our new home in Alaska and we have
internets! When I last posted, I was writing in the midst of chaotic packing
and preparing to hit the road to drive almost 3500 miles. The night before the
movers were to arrive, M. and I went to bed a little bit worried that we hadn’t
packed enough or cleaned enough, but we were too exhausted to do any more. The
next morning we woke up even more anxious as a thunderstorm crashed over our
house. We were concerned that the movers might postpone or cancel due to
liability issues. When we hadn’t heard anything to indicate they weren’t coming
by 7:45, I went ahead and took Bailey to daycare so that she would be out from
underfoot and picked up a coffee at Starbucks. By the time I got back, the
movers were there and presumably expertly packing our fragile items into boxes.*
They were efficient and capable. At around 11:00 am, I looked around our
half-empty townhouse and told M. that if we could finish cleaning and be on the
road by 3pm that we should make for Fargo. By 12:30 pm all of our things were
loaded on the truck. M. made a massive recycling run, and I finished vacuuming
and cleaning the fridge. At 2:30 we picked up Bailey from her daycare (although
they did try to tell us they couldn’t find her since they were sad to see her
go), and we began our epic 6.5 day journey.
We drove through prairies and forests; we drove over twisty (and somewhat scary) mountain passes and by sparkling lakes; we narrowly missed colliding with a bear and running over a beaver. We saw and applauded a number of bad-ass cyclists hauling it up mountains. The scenery was spectacular, especially once we got into British Columbia and further west. Here are some views we had from the road (there are some more on my 365 blog as well):
Before we set out we had printed out maps and itineraries
from Google, which suggested that most of our days on the road would be in the
11-14 hour range without stops. Fortunately, we made somewhat better time than
that, and our longest day on the road was only about eleven hours. However,
8-10 hours in the car for five consecutive days was long enough, and I ended
most of the days feeling cramped and stiff and sore. Even so, I definitely felt
like we got lucky. I was able to find decent coffee on all but one of the
mornings. Bailey got sick relatively few times – and only once in the car. We
made it in one piece without getting lost or without breaking down in a barren
stretch of the Yukon Territory where we had no cell phone service. I got in one
short, easy run and two short little yoga practices. By the end of the trip, M.
and I were still getting along quite well. It was no vacation, but we don’t
regret the decision that we made to drive – though I freely admit that we never
would have chosen to do it this way if we weren’t afraid that the airline would
deny our dog passage due to her debilitating separation anxiety.
What's the longest stretch of consecutive days you have spent driving?
*Until our stuff gets put into a container and arrives here
intact, I cannot certify the actual level of expertise involved. It seemed
legit, but the jury is still out.
I'm so glad you made it safely!
ReplyDeleteMy longest stretch on the road was Seattle to Pensacola. I think we took 10 days total (7 driving with a stop to visit family in Texas).
PS - I suspect you'll be seeing many more bears from now on...
I'm slowly returning to something that feels like a sort-of schedule, and I feel like I'm picking right back up with your story. What wonderful pictures! I've never been on the road *that* long. By FAR my worst drive was a trip from central Illinois to SW Virginia that started late and carried on throughout a horrible, icy storm. But it still only took something like 12 hours.
ReplyDeleteMy longest drives were with me as solo driver, accompanied by my kids, from Vancouver to Winnipeg in 3 days. I've often done 2 10-hour days in a row, but I wouldn't want to do too much more than that. We did once drive 16 hours, thinking we'd go through the night since the kids had fallen asleep -- came to our senses, though, realizing that we'd arrive exhausted while the kids would be raring to go, not a good combo!
ReplyDeleteYou two (well, three as Bailey seems to be a good road tripper) did a great job -- and it must be a relief to be able to start unpacking, creating a new home -- and getting ready to start work with new colleagues, students, etc. Take it easy!
It sounds like your drive went about as smoothly as my recent 5 day drive did - and we also made better time that our initial route suggested we would. I hope you're settling into your new home!
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
I'm glad to hear your drive also took less time than you anticipated. I don't think I could have handled it if it had taken even longer than estimated....
DeleteWelcome to Alaska!!! Your pictures are so gorgeous! Now you know why I love BC so much. It's such a gorgeous province. I am hoping to visit Amber next summer and am excited to see inner BC!
ReplyDeleteThe longest drive I have done is probably the drive to Colorado, which really is not that long of a drive. I am SO not a car person. I don't travel well in the car as i tend to get car sick and I get so stir crazy... So I try to fly whenever possible. I would have opted to drive as well given your concerns about your dog being allowed to board!!
I am glad you made it there safe and sound! I can't wait to see more pics of your new city and hopefully you'll share some of your new home!
What a gorgeous and memorable adventure. I can't imagine driving for that long and that many days straight. I think the longest I've been in a car is 2 days and maybe 16ish hours but that was a long time ago. Driving to my parents which is 9-10 makes me antsy! I hope unpacking and getting settled goes well for you!
ReplyDeleteThat is indeed an epic drive! I just drove between Chicago and Colorado, which is an 1,100 mile drive, and I was already road-weary by the end of that. Going out, we split the drive in Lincoln, NE and spent about 8 hours in the car each day. Coming home, we were both so excited to be reunited with the dogs that we drove straight through - about 17 hours in the car! That's probably the longest drive I've done.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are great - you definitely drove through some beautiful parts of the continent. And aren't mountain bikers inspiring? We saw some while in the Rockies, and they're pretty incredible.
Those bikers are just incredible! I feel intimidated by cycling on the open road even without giant-ass mountains.
DeleteThose pictures are great and I LOVE the one with the bear. You must have been fast with the camera! I always pull it out too late! The longest drive I have ever done was in my mom's tummy from CA to MA, but the longest one I can remember was from CA to IA, which is about 1700 miles. I did it by myself and I have to say, I LOVED it. I took tons of photos and stopped whenever and wherever I wanted. I did NOT get any exercise though, aside from a few short walks.
ReplyDeleteWhat an exciting adventure. Definitely one for the memory books. Thanks for sharing the pics. The longest drive I have ever been on was when I was 10. We took a 3 week family vacation driving from Minnesota to California and back. It was nowhere near as arduous as a straight through drive like you just went through. We stopped and camped and did sight-seeing along the way. South Dakota Badlands, Black Hills, the Rocky Mountains, Grand Canyon, Great Salt Lake, etc.
ReplyDeleteAh, I love that bear photo! He or she looks like he/she is just ambling along, crossing the road, taking care of bear business...
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Alaska! I am so happy to hear that you made it safely. It's great to see you back on-line too--we missed you around here :-) (Did you notice that I tried to take care of the place while you were gone? I dusted and swept and put out fresh flowers for you.)
I missed you! We didn't have good internets in our hotel rooms after Regina, so I felt very disconnected from everything. (I did notice everything seemed clean and bright when I returned, though. Thanks for the lovely flowers!)
DeleteDid you go through Fort St. John?? I'm pretty sure you must have. That's where I grew up!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed the trip and made it safe and sound! Holy mackarel that's a long trip! Can't wait to hear more about life in Alaska!
We did go through Fort St. John - or at least the edge of it! It was a beautiful drive, but I'm not keen to repeat that trip any time in the near future.
DeleteThat bear photo is amazing, and it sounds like a pretty epic journey! The longest car ride I've been on has been three days - it should have only taken two, but we caught in a snow storm in Virginia and had to get a hotel until the roads were cleared.
ReplyDelete