![]() |
| Bailey being ridiculous. I stole this photo from M. |
This morning I got up relatively early to find coffee and a light breakfast before attending my first yoga class at a studio in over two years. The class was an open Vinyasa session at Life in Balance Yoga. It was a pretty challenging class that involved a number of warriors, standing splits, and headstand work. I was a bit out of my league. However, I used it as an opportunity to assess what kind of yoga shape I'm in right now - noting exactly where I had lost flexibility and strength and stamina - and told myself that I could always take a modification if necessary or rest in child's pose or puppy if I needed to do so. Even though it was tough, it made me remember why I loved going to yoga during my grad school days and further reaffirmed my commitment to do a couple more classes this month.
After yoga, I got cleaned up and headed down to Bryant Park to have some lunch and then to the reading room of the New York Public Library. I got a couple of hours of solid work in on a manuscript, but I was regretting my decision not to bring a cardigan with me as I was getting quite chilly in the air conditioned room. I decided to call it a day and do a little shopping on my way back to the apartment. (This is entirely justified as our stuff still has not shipped from the Midwest....) I bought the most amazing jacket ever and am sure I'll get lots of wear out of it once I'm back in Alaska.
Do you go to a yoga studio? If so, how frequently do you attend classes? Are you ready for cooler temps and jackets?

Can't believe you bounced back so quickly from a rather horrifying flight schedule to being productive -- yoga, library, shopping! IMpressive.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm really liking your blog set-up -- is this a recent change or am I just not very observant? You must be using one of the newer templates -- I'm especially keen on finding out how you have the row of tabs to other pages across the top -- such a clean, organized look!
It is not a recent change. I think I've had this layout for about a year and the tabs since January. The only thing different is I've decided to start making all of my photos the largest size.
DeleteSo are the tabs available in one of the (relatively) new Blogger templates? I should go explore, I guess, but I'm fearful of starting something that will take forever. . .
DeleteThey're "Pages" actually and it's pretty easy to manipulate them. They're formatted in the same way that individual posts are and you can choose their placement on your blog through the design layout.
DeleteNo photo of the jacket?????? Your outerwear-obsessed friends needs pictures!!! Please! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a challenging class - good for you for pushing yourself and using it to see what areas are less strong/flexible.
I actually bought a core power groupon this morning for a month of unlimited yoga. I am SO excited as I loved the free week of classes I took in June, and I know yoga will be such a great compliment to my marathon training. I am planning to start using the free month in the 2nd half of August. That way I'll be going to classes right around when I am doing my 20 milers!
I've always been more of a pilates gal myself but I do throw in a little yoga from time to time to mix it up...I would be terrible in a yoga class though! Can't wait to see this dreamcoat (please tell me it's technicolour) of yours and good luck with work - I'm in the midst of the dissertation to monograph process as well as article drafting and it's killing me (of course being unemployed gives me loads of time to work on things so I suppose that's kind of a blessing).
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Glad to hear that you're taking advantage of your latest jaunt in the city. I love yoga classes but I don't go as often as I like. There is a cooperative that lets you pay on a sliding scale near my house. It's great.
ReplyDeleteI also want to see the coat! Where did you get it?
I got it at Zara.
DeleteWow, I couldn't keep up with your schedule!! But, sounds like you are finding some things to help keep you sane during a busy time!
ReplyDeleteI really wanted to attend a yoga class when I was in Chicago, but it never happened :-(
ReplyDeleteI am SO READY for cooler weather and jackets! I stare longingly at my boots, and I almost took my blazer to work to keep warm in the air-conditioning. I do love warm weather, but I just feel ready for coziness.
PS I can't wait to see your new jacket!
I have a membership at a hot yoga studio and I usually like to go 2-3 times per week but during the HOT summer months I have no desire to go into an even hotter room so have been going more like once a week... Hoping to change that soon though!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you are back in NYC again already! I used to work in an over air conditioned building in New Orleans; it would be 100 degrees outside and 34 degrees inside. It seemed like it! So I always carry a jacket. People may think I am strange carrying a jacket around in August, but I would rather be crazy looking than freezing!
ReplyDeleteA) I think we must see this jacket you purchased. B) I need to get myself back to yoga. I've been telling myself that after this 50K I'm going to treat myself to a 5 time pass for hot yoga (so expensive, but really enjoyable). The free podcasts at home are fine, but NOT the same as a live class.
ReplyDelete