Later, I met up with a good friend of mine who moved to Manhattan about a year ago. We had brunch at Fig and Olive in the Meatpacking District. We lingered over our meal, sharing a piece of marzipan cake for dessert. Then we went for a walk along the High Line. As my friend Ash pointed out, it gives you that sweetheart view: you can see far more than you can on the ground but you can see it much closer than you can from way up above. And with my obsession with green spaces tucked into urban ones, I highly approve of turning a dilapidated rail line into a park. I definitely recommend going, even though it is highly probable that it will be overrun with tourists when you go.
At the end of the High Line, I said goodbye to Ash and headed to Brooklyn to do some exploring there. My tour guide was the awesome woman known to some as Rad in Brooklyn. We have been blog and internet friends for a few years and we were able to meet up when I was in NY in July. I wanted to spend a bit of time in Brooklyn, as I hadn't ventured beyond the borders of Manhattan during my time in the city this summer. She took me on a walk through Prospect Park and then we had some delightful and locally-made ice cream at Ample Hills Creamery. I tried the Peanut Butter Chocolate Flake and the Toffee Bar Crunch before settling on the Salted Crack Caramel, which was excellent, but not as good as some of the other salty caramel renditions I've had.
I had planned to meet up with my Airbnb hostess for a drink when I got back from Brooklyn, but we had a miscommunication, so I ended up grabbing some quick dinner and then heading back and packing up my suitcase to fly home the next day. I'm glad that I got to spend time in New York and that I got to experience it as both a tourist and, to some extent, more like a local. I hope that I get back there soon.
I so badly want to go to NYC. I was there when I was 14 and again when I was 17, but I want to go as an ADULT! And do adult things! My husband turns 40 in November, and we've been talking about doing a weekend getaway for that--NYC is on the top of the list.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun last day! Good for you for getting out there and running in the rain. That unexpected encouragement goes a long way. That happened to me during a long run years ago. The guy gave me a fist pump and then yelled- 'keep going, you can do it!' It was so sweet and really gave me another burst of energy!
ReplyDeleteThe Highline didn't exist last time I was in NY, so next time I go, I def want to check it out!!
How cool to see Rad on your blog!
ReplyDeleteI'll bet you'll miss NYC--so great that you had this chance to spend some time there. Sounds like you spent your last day the right way!
ReplyDeleteI have yet to see the high line, but it is on my list of touristy things to do next time I am there!
Hey, thanks for coming out to Brooklyn! It was great to see you again and please let me know when you're back in the city. There is more ice cream to eat.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you are a marvelous photographer. Such great pictures.
I definitely will do! I'm glad you like the photos. I think I've improved since I started 365 but still have a ways to go.
DeleteLove the Highline! Looks like a great visit :)
ReplyDeleteI really miss not living so close to NYC - but I am so glad I visited as frequently as I did while I was living in CT. And you're so right about the Highline...amazing but super crowded.
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
I really want to get back to NYC -- we went 25 years ago, which is way too long! Of course, the HighLine wasn't available to walk then, but I'd love to see it and compare it to its inspiration in Paris, which I've walked a number of times (and watched the Paris Marathon from, last year!)
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with you about the difference it can make to have a fellow runner's encouragement -- or even just to say "hi" to other runners as you pass. It can often be the difference that puts that extra spring in my step.
How amazing to watch the Paris Marathon in general but even more so from a similar viewpoint!
DeleteThat sounds like fun! You are quite the social butterfly! I really love just wandering around the city and finding new places and spaces; that's the best part of NYC! I really love those window shots -- the pinkish one especially. I love all those tiny colored glass windows!
ReplyDeleteI think I may in fact be a peanut butter chocolate flake! Hee hee...
ReplyDeleteMy perfect day would definitely involve ice cream and wandering around beautiful spaces. Your rainy run in Central Park sounds awesome and the perfect start to a great day! There's something about running in the rain that always makes me feel like a "real" runner--or maybe just more hardcore about running.