Monday, August 20, 2012

The Return of Training Monday Posts

In just 10 short weeks I will be running a half-marathon, so I have decided that every Monday, I will check in and report on the past week's training and remind myself of what I need to be doing over the coming week in terms of training. I did this when I was training for the Chicago Marathon, and it really helped to keep me on track with my training.

First, though, the plan itself. I have perused the internet and Runner's World's Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training to seek out the perfect plan for my current goals and needs and have come up with a plan that blends a couple of different training schedules together. I've chosen to do this because a lot of plans call for running 4-5 days a week, and with my schedule for the upcoming semester and my desire to go to yoga once or twice a week, I would rather only run 3-4 days a week most weeks.

I might have to make some adjustments as I go along because the yoga studio that I plan to check out might change their class schedule for the fall term and because I'm trying to work around M's work schedule as well (that also means more afternoon and evening workouts). But here's my basic planned schedule:

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1 3 mi yoga 3.5 mi off 3 mi 7 mi yoga
easy easy easy LSD
2 3 mi yoga 3.5 mi off 3 mi 8.5 mi
800s easy easy LSD yoga
3 3 mi yoga 4 mi yoga off 10 mi 3 mi
hills easy LSD recovery
4 4 mi yoga 4 mi off 3 mi 8 mi yoga
tempo easy easy LSD
5 3.5 mi yoga 4 mi yoga off 11 mi 3 mi
hills easy LSD recovery
6 4 mi yoga 4 mi off 3 mi 12 mi yoga
800s easy easy LSD
7 4 mi yoga 4 mi off 3 mi 9 mi yoga
tempo easy easy LSD
8 3 mi yoga 3 mi 3 mi off 13.1 mi off
easy easy easy trail LSD
9 3 mi yoga 4 mi yoga off 9 mi off
easy easy LSD
10 3 mi yoga off 3 mi off Half-Marathon
easy easy

You may have noticed there's a 13.1 mile trail run on there two weeks before my race. The Anchorage Running Club puts on a trail half-marathon in the middle of October and I'd like to run it if the trails aren't icy yet as a means of getting in a local race, a trail half-marathon, and a training run with aid stations and company. But, since it will be my first trail race and my A race is just two weeks after that, I plan to take it easy and run it at a training run pace.

Are you starting to gear up for any fall races?

6 comments:

  1. I ran 16km on Saturday, hoping that gives me a base for a possible late-September, mid-October run. Waiting to see how my injury-prone areas respond over the next week or two plus how craziness of this wedding prep and then start of term go. If I don't manage either of those 2, there's a late November run I've done twice before, but at such a nutty part of term! Good luck with your plan -- I admire your commitment in the middle of such a big move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thinking as I read this--I'll bet you'll have some spectacular trail runs in your future! But ice in October might be a little hard to take...

    Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great training plan! I like reading others training recaps as I like seeing how they approach training.

    I am just under 9 weeks from my marathon. It seems closer than that as I have my first 20 miler this week (I am doing it a week early due to a schedule conflict). Once I start the 20 milers, the marathon feels SO close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good plan!

    I'm looking forward to the 15K and end of Sept. Haven't planned anything past that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a doable plan! I think that running 3 or 4 times a week is great. A friend of mine did the RLRF plan and he rocked the MCM with no problem!

    I have a marathon in one week and then...I may be gearing DOWN for Fall!!! We shall see. I am not going to promise anything! I will probably still run a race or maybe two a month, depending on scheduling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your schedule seems similar to what I imagine my ideal schedule might be: no more than 4 days of running a week, with a good mix of speed work-outs and LSD. And yoga, of course! I'll be following along to see how this plan treats you and I might adopt part or all of it for my next half-marathon :-)

    Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.