I've been suffering from a touch of blogger's block this week and just haven't felt moved to post about anything in particular. Fortunately, it didn't develop into a full on case of writer's block, and I've managed to make a bit of progress on an article manuscript. However, the vast majority of my energy this week has been funneled into working on course proposals, grading papers from my 100-level Western Civ class, and worrying about a few things.
The issue of not having a very good work space means that I've been doing a lot of my work on the couch. We filed a claim with the moving company, but that means that we can't take any steps to repair our desk until the claim is processed. I have my writing desk and a table in my campus office, but neither of those are ideal for certain kinds of work that need lots of space for the spreading out of research materials and having books close at hand. My department put in a request for facilities to move a set of bookshelves into my office early last week, but it still hasn't done. That means that my books remain in boxes even though they arrived exactly a month ago. This was all exponentially complicated by the fact that earlier this week, I was told that they were going to pull my furniture out and that facilities would install it next week, only to be told yesterday that they weren't going to do it after all. It's no one's fault, but it is frustrating.
My backyard is a scene of tree carnage. After five of our trees blew down in less than two weeks, we took the advice of our handyman and authorized him to cut a number down. Our backyard looks like a mess, and we've had to ask our neighbors if we could temporarily take down part of their fences in order to get the job done. I feel like I owe them all chocolate and wine.
My dog has also started having seizures. She had one a few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon. We suspected what was happening, but we had never seen it before, so we grabbed her and drove to a nearby animal hospital. By the time we got there, she was returning to normal. Since they told us that there would be a lengthy wait for her to be seen, we returned home and decided to just schedule a vet appointment as soon as we could. We took her to the vet earlier this week, and the vet told us that unless we saw more than one a month that it wasn't a condition that we should worry too much about. That evening Bailey had another seizure.
Both my mom and my sister are having some health problems, and it's just hard to be so far away. It would have been just about as hard the past few years, but now it takes multiple flights that cost so much money to go to see them.
M. has been working a temporary gig that he landed almost as soon as we arrived. It has been extended a couple of times, but it looks like it's coming to an end sometime in October. They thought they would have a project for him that would extend through most of the month, but the budget for it still hasn't been approved so he may be unemployed again by the end of next week. I hope that he finds something soon that he really enjoys or that he at least tolerates with aplomb. There's a certain amount of guilt that occasionally crops up when you are the spouse that gets followed.
I haven't had much positive to say this week, and I guess that's part of why I've been silent. I realize that all of these problems very much fall into the category of #firstworldproblems. Nonetheless, I hope your week has been better than mine.
Oh, my dear. That's a long list of things to worry about and attend to. You have my sympathies! Things will change with time, of course, which is perhaps little comfort, but hang in there.
ReplyDeletexoxo
Oh man - you do have a lot to complain about. And I really think we have to do these kind of posts occasionally because sometimes when you acknowledge how you are feeling, it helps you actually move forward. There are so many things happening in so many corners of your life, I can totally see why you are a bit down and are struggling to write in this space. I hope things look up soon. The lack of a good work space would REALLY bother me. I hope they come up with a solution to that soon!!!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! Thinking of you!
When it rains, it pours. :-(
ReplyDeleteChin up and try to just work through one problem at a time.
Best wishes
I'm sorry to hear this -- these are all very valid complaints and even one or two of them would be daunting to most of us. I hope good news comes on at least one front and soon.
ReplyDeleteUgh, hang in there. I never understand how university facilities depts can get away with just not doing what they say they'll do. Granted, they probably have a long list of things to do, but hello, that kind of stuff is important. People need to be able to work in their offices! Hope things get better for you soon.
ReplyDeleteOh, this is a rough time. My dog had seizures, fyi. And she was totally healthy otherwise. We think the heart worm medication we gave her as a young dog might have precipitated them. It's extremely stressful to experience that so I empathize. I'm giving you, your dog, your husband, your mum and sister all positive vibes. xo
ReplyDeleteI understand how it is to live far away and have family in places where it costs oodles of money to fly to. (In my case Germany...) I think those are often not #firstworldproblems only and something third world people go thru too :) Hang in there, usually when there is a bad week or two, a few good ones eventually follow again.
ReplyDeleteI hope things start to look up for you as you become more settled into your new surroundings. Maybe all the bad stuff will get out of the way at once!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have plenty to deal with and I can understand the reluctance to blog under the circumstances. In spite of having a furnished office both at home and on campus, I still do the bulk of my work at our dining room table. Is that a possibility for you.
ReplyDeleteAnd once the tree situation is behind you, perhaps a chili dinner would be a good way to say thank you to the neighbors.
Working at the dining room table is possible for short periods of time when I'm at home, but there are a couple of problems - one is that it hurts my back. It also doesn't really solve the unpacking issue. I don't want to keep much on the table because we do eat there and keeping food and work separate is really important for me maintaining any semblance of a healthy relationship with food.
DeleteDarn, that's pretty crummy during a time that the daylight is pretty stingy. Big hugs!
ReplyDeleteUg, I am so sorry to hear that. It seems like everything comes up all at once, doesn't it? I hope that you find the balance you are looking for and that things fall into place. Also, I am really sorry to hear about Bailey and your family being unwell. That is hard to deal with when you can't do anything! My good vibes are heading your way!
ReplyDelete