Sunday, September 30, 2012

September in Review

September really just hasn't been my month. Setbacks and unforeseen issues, like the office situation and property damage, have been difficult to deal with and were not things that I anticipated when I set my goals at the beginning of the month. However, I've done my best to keep my chin up and to keep moving forward with what I can. I don't feel that I fully accomplished any of my September goals, but I made pretty substantive progress with all but one of them.

My goals for September were:

1. Devote a minimum of 15 hours a week to research and writing which would be directed toward the following:
A) Get as close to possible to finalizing the transcription and the edition of the primary source texts for the co-edited volume.
B) Have a finished draft of the article manuscript I've been working on this summer.
C) Make progress on the conference paper I'll be presenting in late October.

I would have to say that I did alright with this. There was one week when I didn't come anywhere close to 15 hours of research and writing, as I was dealing with insurance agents and contractors thanks to the damage the winds did to our property and also was sick that week. However, the other weeks I either hit or came very close to logging those research and writing hours. I feel like I have started establishing good work patterns. I didn't quite get any of the projects that I wanted to off my desk, but I got closer to doing so with all of them.

2. Make running a priority and run 80 miles in the month of September.
I did suffer some setbacks and missed a couple of runs here and there and didn't quite hit 80 miles. However, I feel like I did make running a priority and had a solid month, logging 68.54 miles in total. This is my highest monthly mileage total for a year, so I'm pleased with my progress. I also ran a really solid 10K (more on that later).

3. Get back to maintaining my food journal. 
I have not done very well with this. Back in the spring (right before I fell of the journaling wagon) I switched from my old journaling system to Sparkpeople and for some reason I just can't seem to get into the groove with this new system. This next month I'm going to try setting some daily google reminders to journal and hopefully that will help me to establish the habit once again.

4. Finish unpacking and get organized.
Well, as I mentioned on Friday, my unpacking has been somewhat derailed by the campus office situation and further derailed by the home desk situation. We have most of our stuff hung up, but there are still some odds and ends to deal with in addition to my books, research files, diplomas, etc. I think with the exception of the items that I'm planning to take to campus we need to make a concerted effort to finish the job in the next few weeks.

5. Spend some time exploring my new city.
I did alright with this one. I acquired a library card. M. and I went to a beer festival. I ran a local 10K on one of the trails. I went in search of a local pumpkin spice latte. And this morning M. and I had brunch at a local restaurant. There is still plenty to explore and check out, but I am at least not spending all of my time on campus or at home.


I should say that September hasn't been all crying and gnashing of teeth or goals. I reencountered one of my favorite beers, hosted a little football-watching party, had a couple of colleagues over for dinner, baked a lemon cake with ginger cream cheese frosting, and went to a few fabulous yoga classes.

How was your September? Those of you who maintain food journals, what system do you use and why do you like it as opposed to other methods?

9 comments:

  1. Overall, a good month for you! I sucked at the whole food journaling thing. Just did it long enough to identify where ok needed to make changes, so no help on that from me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good month to me! That whole finish packing and get organized thing... we've been in the house over five years and still don't have it like we want it. Do we ever really get it that way? lol

    I don't use a food journal anymore, but I used to use sparkpeople.com. I liked it pretty well, but I can't tell you how it compares to other methods as that's the only one I've used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you did well in reaching most of your goals! I don't keep a food journal now, but I used to use SparkPeople a few years back and it worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80 miles is a really good goal! I like to at least hit the 70s but know at some point I need to bump that up (next year when full marathon training starts). You can do it, average 20 per week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT?!? You baked a lemon cake with ginger cream cheese frosting and you didn't invite me over? I thought we were friends!

    :-)

    I think you had one heck of a month in terms of challenges. You did the best you could! And I can't wait to hear about that 10K. Happy October to you--a new month, a new chance to set goals and make some progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY library card!!! :) Way to go on the running! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could I possibly get that lemon cake recipe? Sorry September was such a bust, but at least there was cake! (is that a bad attempt at being cheerful?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake sounds great. I have been on a baking kick. Unfortunately my waistline doesn't love me, but the people at work do!

    I use Lose It. Why? Because when I searched "food tracker" in iTunes that was the first one. However, I like it. It has most chain restaurants food info in there, as well as some weird foods that I like, but I do have to self enter a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy to hear that your month included some socializing! That's great that you are meeting people and having them over!

    September was a tough month for me given how sick I got. I was super paranoid about not being able to do my marathon, but I am back to 100% thank God, and taking 2 weeks off from my training plan doesn't seem to have impacted me too much...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.