I mentioned to Kyria the other day that I want a hybrid bike and she asked me about it, so I thought I'd post here about what's currently on my wishlist.
1. A hybrid bike. M. and I are trying to make it for at least another year or two of sharing a car. One of the reasons that we looked specifically at homes in our neighborhood is because here we are close to a bus route that takes me to campus. However, I'm just about as close to a bike path that also would take me to campus. Moving has been expensive and I can ride the bus for free, so I'm holding out on buying a bike (I sold my old one on craigslist before we left the Midwest) until the spring. But I'm already thinking about models that I'm interested in and the Novara Fiona is one of them. It's a hybrid bike that blends elements of road bikes (lighter frames) and of mountain bikes (a more upright frame, wider tires). The Fiona is just over 30 pounds and has 24 gears. I'm hoping that my local REI gets her back in stock before long so that I can handle the bike in person before I make a several-hundred-dollar decision.
2. Furniture and art for my campus office. Unfortunately, this one won't be happening for a few months. My office was vacated by its former occupant over the summer, the old furniture was removed, and it was painted. I, along with my colleagues, was supposed to get new furniture that was supposed to arrive sometime during the first couple of weeks of the semester. Due to what I can only describe as a giant inconvenience, we found out yesterday that none of us will be getting our new furniture until January. I don't want to go into too many more details here, but the situation is extremely frustrating. (For me it's compounded by the fact that my desk at home needs repair in order to be usable and we jettisoned some bookcases because I had planned to take most of my books to campus.) It looks like I will probably temporarily have to move into a different office for the rest of the semester and move back into mine at the start of the spring semester. In my dreamworld, though, my furniture is being installed tomorrow and some awesome person gifts me a high quality, framed reproduction of Titian's portrait of Philip II Wearing Armor.
3. Le Creuset cookware. Right now I especially have my eye on the Moroccan Tagine in cherry and the Round French Oven in a serene shade called caribbean.
A new pair of rainboots would be on this list, too, but I just I ordered a pair online.... What's currently on your wishlist?

Eight hours, guilt-free, all to myself, each week. Know where I can buy that? ;-)
ReplyDeleteI have a hybrid bike, not quite as spiffy as yours, a few years old and worn down by the salt air and dirt roads on our little island -- but I really like the cross, and I'm sure you will as well.
What an absolute pain about your office -- that space is so very important and having to wait 'til January has to be really frustrating. Sending you sympathy
Are you my wishlist soulmate? I am also a big fan of hybrid bikes (so great for commuting around town!) and Le Creuset, except in my case, I have procured both. Le Creuset really is as wonderful as everyone says, and I love the caribbean shade. I'm also partial to the orange (pumpkin?) Le Creuset pieces.
ReplyDeleteOn or formerly on my wishlist: brown boots(!) and possibly jeggings. On the shortlist, I am going to try steel-cut oats for the first time this week--I get excited to try new-to-me foods :-) I also want to try a new pumpkin bread recipe and pair it with some great cheese and wine--an idea suggested in the newest issue of Vegetarian Times.
Happy procuring!
PS So sorry to hear about your campus office--that stinks. I don't blame you for being unhappy about it.
What a beautiful bike!
ReplyDeleteOn my wish list is a bicycle trainer. I had one that was given to me for free with the instructions to "pay it forward." So I did, to a brand new cyclist who thought the trainer would help build confidence. Now I'd like a new, quieter one!
I have one Le Creuset pan, and it is the best. I have more on my wish list for future Christmases.
ReplyDeleteWe were gifted a le creuset dutch oven for our wedding and it is the MOST AMAZING THING EVER. If I was loaded I would fill my kitchen with le creuset cookware!
ReplyDeleteHope your office situation gets sorted out soon!
I would love some le creuset as well! It's something I feel every foodie who loves to cook should own (and it lasts FOREVER).
ReplyDeleteMy wish list includes a macaroon baking set! I need to think what else I would want as I feel like Christmas will come fast and my mom like ideas early!
I like that bike! I am glad you posted a photo, as I am a visual learner! I am always lusting after expensive kitchen items... but I really don't have very much! I usually get by on what I have because being someone who moves a lot, heavy dish/cook/bake ware is hard to move around each time! But sometimes I just want a nice casserole dish!
ReplyDeleteAnother wishlist soulmate here... I am too moving offices. Not university, just moving to a bigger office downstairs. The big office thing should be great news, but I have recently found out that I won't have furniture for a while, maybe until next year... Terrible news :(
ReplyDeleteBut hang in there, time flies and soon the offices will be wonderful.
I hope you get furniture sooner than next year, but in the meantime congrats on the new and bigger office!
Delete