Monday, September 17, 2012

Halloween Half Marathon Training Week 4

This past week has not been a particularly strong one in terms of training, as meetings, a bit of a cold during the week, and another crazy storm that took down another one of our trees this weekend have presented some additional challenges to getting in workouts.  

Monday - scheduled 4 miles tempo. Actual 4 miles with an easy mile to warm up, two miles at my estimated 10K pace, and an easy final mile. My average pace was 10:23, which is still a lot slower than I would like, but this was my first tempo run in a while.

Tuesday - scheduled rest. Actual rest.

Wednesday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual rest. On Wednesday I had a headache and sinus pressure that got worse as the day went on. Instead of running in the afternoon, I took a decongestant and a nap.

Thursday - scheduled yoga. Actual rest. When I woke up my throat was sore and I was just feeling crummy so I took another easy day.

Friday - 3 miles easy. Actual rest. I was starting to feel a bit better but I had some scheduling conflicts that meant the only time that I could have run was in the evening. However, M. and I had planned on going out to dinner and a movie. Since we hadn't been on an actual date since the wedding we attended over two months ago, I decided to prioritize that over running.

Saturday - scheduled 8 miles LSD. Actual 6.5 miles LSD. My legs were fresh so that was good, but my lungs tired out pretty easily. I was happy with getting past the 10K mark after such a lackluster week of running.

Sunday - scheduled yoga. Actual 3 miles easy. We were still under a wind advisory so, rather than getting on the road for a yoga class, I hopped on my treadmill for a short recovery run.

Total scheduled miles: 19
Actual miles: 13.5
Cross training workouts: 0

Up next for Week 5:

Monday - scheduled 3.5 miles hills.

Tuesday - scheduled yoga.

Wednesday - scheduled 4 miles easy.

Thursday - scheduled yoga.

Friday - scheduled rest.

Saturday - scheduled 11 miles LSD.

Sunday - scheduled 3 miles recovery.

After such a crummy week of training, I felt like I needed a little bit of a boost in motivation so I signed up for a local 10K here in a couple of weeks. It will be my first 10K in almost a year.  I'm excited to see how it goes and to get a sense of what my actual 10K pace is right now. I'm also really looking forward to getting back on my mat this week.

A happy and sweet new year to all my Jewish and Jew-ish readers! Happy Monday to everyone else!

7 comments:

  1. Another tree? Still looks like a solid week and hope this one turns out better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did really well, considering how you were feeling. It's important to listen to your body rather than simply sticking to a goal mindlessly, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the lung-leg imbalance! That is a problem I have encountered frequently: when one is fresh, the other is easily exhausted. I think I feel the imbalance most during challenging work-outs, either LSD or speedwork (which seems predictable, right?).

    I think your week wasn't too bad--you did get a tempo run and a long run in there, and your long run was only a bit shorter than scheduled. And hopefully this week is a healthier one for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you weren't feeling great. You are wise to cut back. You've got time to get your mileage up. A Halloween half sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to relax and get better before heading out for a hard week. This week you have an 11 miler! Are you excited!?

    My training week this week is going to be difficult to sustain. Today is my rest day, then I have plans already on Tue and Thur, so I know I won't run (unless I get up at 4 am), so that means I "have to" run on all of the other days! I hope we both can be motivated!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Training when you are sick is SO hard. I sucked at it and have barely ran in the last 2 weeks. Which makes me very nervous about my marathon, but hopefully my body bounces back quickly.

    And what is up with all the strong storms!! That sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Considering everything going on, I think this is a pretty good week! Hope you're feeling better and that next week is even more kick ass!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.