Sunday, October 14, 2012

Race Report: Anchorage Running Club Zombie Half Marathon

Yesterday morning I got up at the luxurious hour of 7:30, had a cup of coffee, drank some water, ate some toast, got dressed, drank another cup of coffee, put on some zombie make up, glued on a flesh wound, peed about 15 times, and then headed down to the starting point of the ARC Zombie Half Marathon at Goose Lake. I picked up my bib, lined up to pee again, and spent a few minutes freezing while chatting with another runner. Before too long we were directed to line up in an open field where it was even colder. Thankfully, soon it was 10:00; they directed us to start; and we were off and running.
Will race for brains....
Lining up to start
Miles 1-4
The course followed the Chester Creek Trail from Goose Lake Park to the Westchester Lagoon and then followed the Coastal Trail to Kincaid Park. It was initially hard to get into a rhythm and find a steady pace. I probably started out a tad too fast, running the first couple of miles at around a 10:30 average pace. I was feeling pretty good apart from a little bit of lung discomfort from the cold air and a bit of a runny nose. Within a couple of miles, I was warmed up, so I took off my gloves and partially unzipped my running jacket. When I hit the first aid station at mile 4, I had hoped to use the biffies, but there was a long line for the two port-a-potties so I decided I could hold it and just drank a bit of gatorade. I walked for a minute to let the drink settle before I was off again.

Miles 4-8
The next couple of miles were really beautiful and provided some stunning views. However, they were also the coldest and windiest of the race as parts of the trail were not as sheltered. Running into the freezing wind was decidedly unpleasant. I put my gloves back on and trundled onward. Between miles 6 and 8 there were quite a few inclines, and my left calf was feeling tight and on the verge of cramping, so I walked up most of the hills. At the aid station at mile 8, there was no line for the biffies so I relieved my bladder and then spent another minute or so taking a GU and washing it down before I got started again.
Beautiful views along the coastal trail
Miles 8-13.1
I think because I was trying to adjust my gait to prevent my left calf from camping, by mile 10 my right calf was feeling tight and on the edge of a cramp and my right hip flexor was starting to hurt a bit, too. I walked a minute here and there up inclines, but I kept just chanting to myself to run one mile at a time, to keep moving forward, and to beat 2:30. This strategy was working pretty well. I was hurting, but it was manageable. Then around mile 12.3 the beastly hill into Kincaid Park began. I decided that I would walk up most of it and run the flatter sections of it. Frankly, this was a pretty good idea because doing this I managed to pass a hardcore woman who was steadily running up that whole damn thing. It was a bit demoralizing to need to walk at 12.94 of a half-marathon, but I felt like my right foot and calf might fall off if I didn't. I sucked it up and ran the last .1 up the incline. I finished in 2:30:07.
So ready to be done with the damn hill
Reflections
I was very glad to be done, as my entire right leg was aching and throbbing. In general, I was pretty pleased with my performance. Even though I was a little bit off my goal and this was not anywhere close to a PR, this was my best performance at a half in 2012. There were very few spectators at any point, including the finish. However, the course was beautiful and the atmosphere among the runners was festive and fun. The first part of the race was relatively easy with just a few rolling hills. The second half was definitely a challenge with all of those inclines. Because it was such a cold day (temps were in the 30s and it snowed later in the day) I wasn't all that thirsty during the race itself. I wish, though, that they had provided water at the start and had one more aid station on the course. Nonetheless, it was a fun event, and, if I don't run Chicago next fall, I look forward to running this race again next year and beating my time.

How do you feel about running a race in a costume or makeup? What are your feelings about races that end with a hill?

17 comments:

  1. Good job getting it done! I don't like races that end with a hill and several around here are like that. Just seems unfair somehow, doesn't it? I've never run in costume or makeup. I've had opportunities and passed on it. I'd rather run in something comfortable and I just don'e see how that would be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work!! You did great! I think ending a race with a hill is cruel!!

    I have never ran a race in a costume and am fairly certain I never will as I really really hate dressing up in costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked awesome - can you imagine seeing all those zombies run by and not know why? I would be fine with the costume idea with a group, but probably not on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I've never run a race in costume, so I can't really say what I think about it. Races that end with a hill are just CRUEL! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! The views look beautiful. I've never raced in a costume but can certainly see how it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flesh wounds look good on you. Hah ha, Lol. Good job pacing yourself and I will admit I am jealous of the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Love the costume! I have never run in a costume or makeup. I have done they Bay to Breakers while dressed up, but I sure didn't run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drank some water, glued on a flesh wound..

    Beautiful sights indeed! Sorry to hear that your calf wasn't playing along but dang, you hit your pace exactly! Even with the danger of your foot falling off! And that hill at the end? Rude, just rude!

    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Your first Alaska Half-marathon! I've never run in costume -- nor have I ever finished a race despite incipient injury. As for the hill at the end, I've only ever faced a gentle slope, and even at that I was indignant. So cruel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I ran that 1/2 in 2010 and remember that hill on the end... how demoralizing (and it cost me my first sub 2 half!) Woot!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the race! I just started reading your blog and was looking forward to your report :)

    Someday I'll run a race in costume, once I have the right combination of a sense of humor and chutzpah in regards to my running! And races that end in hills are awful, but man does it feel good to cross that finish line.

    I ran a 10k two weekends ago, and was passed by a gentleman in a Batman costume. I was informed that he puked once crossing the finish line! Poor Batman...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool race! I just look at these pictures and think WOW, that's where you live! I really need to get to Alaska someday, it looks beautiful. There's a few zombie races around the Midwest (here and in Ohio, that I know of) but I don't think I'm there yet. Though I like the idea of wearing something fun and/or costumey while running!

    And I feel like just about any race that goes through downtown Chicago ends with a hill, which is just obnoxious. The 5k I'm doing next month does, and the 8k I plan to do in the spring does too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only 5K I've ever done was in costume. I dressed like Luigi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on finishing! And I think that is funny and often the case, that doing some smart walk sessions, one can sometimes pass the "hardcore" ones, especially on hills :) I'm not a fan of the idea of running with makeup or in costume myself, mainly because I'm a big sweaty mess on these long runs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on another half-marathon under your proverbial belt, my dear! It sounds like it was a challenging day and course, with the cold, wind, and hills. I wonder if the cramps were due to mild dehydration? Or a combo of dehydration plus the hillwork in the latter half of the race?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a long race to be dressed up for! Sounds like fun... although the rolling hills would definitely be a challenge for me, training in such a flat place. Congrats on your half! Hope your leg is feeling better by now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good job running smart with the leg cramps and coming in at your time goal! Not sure how I feel about costumes. I think I would run in costume if it were for fun, but if I wanted a PR I probably wouldn't dress up. I've actually never dressed up for an event though, so maybe I should try it before I weigh in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.