Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Reasons to Smile

Although some of the troubling issues that I posted about a couple of weeks ago still persist, I have been feeling a lot more positive the past week. My life isn't perfect, but I do have reasons to smile. Here are just a few.

I picked out a paint color for my home office and our awesome handyman (or possibly his son) is coming to paint it this week. A furniture repair place is coming out soon to give me a bid on my desk. With a little bit of luck, I might have a good workspace at home by the end of the month.

One of my nieces, Norah, just turned two years old - though she insisted to us the other day on Google hangout that is now three. It is so much fun to see her and interact with her over Skype or Google now because she is really talkative and is learning new phrases and things all the time. (I also have to say that I love how much these technologies have improved since I started using them a few years ago when I lived in Spain.) My other niece, Isla, who was born in January, is starting to stand and walk and jabber. I can't wait to see her again soon - hopefully during winter break!
Isla sports her fall colors!
I'm headed to a conference in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to hang out with some far-flung early modernist friends, hear some interesting panels, and get some feedback on some of my own research. I'm also hoping that I'll get to see some beautiful fall foliage and enjoy some warmer temperatures for a few days.

I have awesome new rain boots and have been getting quite a few chances to wear them. However, this week the forecast is calling for some dry days and possibly even a bright and sunny one.

M. and I've been continuing to explore our new city. We initiated our Costco membership, which was both terrifying and thrilling at the same time. We had dinner and drinks out with new friends a few nights ago. I may have discovered the best skillet of mac & cheese in the state at Subzero. We have date plans to go to a concert at a local venue and check out another new-to-us restaurant later in the month, as well.

Speaking of M., he gives me a lot of reasons to smile. Only occasionally, such as when I think of things like my spouse's apple juice hoarding tendencies or the iPhone 5 debacle*, is my smile more of a smirk.
I love my cooky family!
What's been making you smile here lately? I'd love to hear about something positive that's been happening in your life!

* This incident refers to the time that my spouse usurped my yoga class time in order to trade in the phone I was perfectly happy with so that he could get himself the iPhone 5 and give me his iPhone 4. It ended in much shaming and compensatory Mexican food. 

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I love that picture of M. at the end. :) And I am glad you have some things happening in your life that are exciting and make you smile! And your niece is just adorable in that tutu! I wish I could pull off that look but that would be more of a halloween costume than an everyday look for me. ;)

    Time spent with awesome blogging-turned-real life buddies, pumpkin spice lattes, seeing many of my friends PR at the TC marathon, and inside jokes with my former boss have made me smile lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple juice? You can't leave us hanging! I need to hear more about this. I hoard food sometimes. I don't necessarily eat it, but I guess I am planning for the apocalypse, which, now that I mention it, is pretty near, isn't it?

    I smile at the rain, yes, I like it, and the sun. I love the "winters" in the Bay Area, which are lows in the 40s with most days being around 50. I smile when I am striding down the streets of San Francisco each day, just because.

    So, he got a 5 and you had to take his crappy 4!? The horror! :) You definitely deserved a Mexican compensation for that atrocity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me smile. :)
    (especially both adorable photos)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.