| Bailey: My Yoga and Fashion Inspiration |
2. My wrists are also on the weak side. My third through fifth days of consecutive practices, my right wrist was actually hurting in a few poses -- plank and chaturanga in particular even when I was taking modifications. Fortunately, after a few days the pain seemed to just go away.
3. I've done tree pose several times in the past eleven days and it amazes me how sometimes I seem to be able to balance just fine and others I start to tip over almost immediately. I'm still trying to suss out the cause - is it a comparative lack of focus, an inner ear thing, or maybe muscle fatigue?
4. I miss being able to walk to my yoga studio in less than 15 minutes. This was a luxury I enjoyed part of the time that I was in grad school and also took advantage of a bit in NYC this summer.
5. The pose that I'm currently feeling like I'm getting the best stretch out of is chair pose. I feel it in my shins and my calves, as well as in my quads. Bonus: an article in a recent Yoga Journal suggested that this was one of the best poses for runners to do.
6. The pose that I'm currently loving the most is pigeon pose. It feels so good on my hips.
7. I'm working to come to peace with how I look in the mirrors at the yoga studio when I happen to catch a glimpse of myself. In my mind's eye, I am graceful and my movements are fluid. The mirror, however, suggests that I am more oafish than lithe and my movements are more clumsy than smooth. I guess the first goal is to recognize the reality and the second goal is to work toward that grace and fluidity but to realize that even if I don't ever quite achieve that I'm gaining lots of benefits.
8. At a yoga class last Tuesday the instructor encouraged us to pull our shoulders away from our ears while we were in a forward bend, and for the first time I really noticed how different it felt to move my shoulders back down my back in this pose. It's all about the small revelations.
9. Yoga is better when you smile.
10. There is a possibility that yoga is even better at working out the kinks after a day of writing or grading than running. They both work in their different ways.
11. Whenever I don't really want to do yoga, that's when I probably most need to do it. One day last week I had a demoralizing experience with bureaucracy after an already long day on campus and the last thing I really wanted to do was to get on my mat. But I did, and breathing and moving with the breath helped me to let go of some of my frustration.
Do you have a regular yoga practice? What's your favorite pose? Have you ever done a streak of some kind? Writing? Running? Yoga?
Number 11 is really interesting! And we are opposites with pigeon pose--I really, absolutely despise that pose! Tree pose--it's all about how hard the wind is blowing that day. ; )
ReplyDeleteGreat you are so dedicated to it. I was last year but have completely fallen off the bus this year.
Yoga is better when you smile <--- I'll have to remember that one. I don't particularly care for yoga and generally don't smile when I'm doing it. I think I will try to change that. :-)
ReplyDeleteI really need to get to the point where I work out a yoga practice at home, on my own, just for 20 minutes. So far, I only do it when I can get to a class, and then I always wish I could get there more often. Exception: once or twice I've convinced my husband to lead me through a short practice -- he's been going 3 to 5 times a week since he semi-retired, so can remember positions and sequences much better than I can.
ReplyDeleteI do know that there are videos on youtube, but I find it so distracting to try to look back and forth.
But oh, for more pigeon pose in my life . . . it's what my hips really, really need!
I have a LONG relationship with yoga (going on 25 yrs). I've done it very seriously (15 plus hrs a week - and teaching) and very unseriously (where I'm at at the moment) but I generally get on my mat a couple of times a week at least for some restorative practice. The restorative practice is the one I do no matter what because it works on the hormones, immune system and mood.
ReplyDeleteIt's impossible to say what my fave pose is! I mean, there are 87,000 of them if you include all the variations :-) I go through phases. But a few that are always hits are: viparita karani (lying over bolster with legs up wall), upavistha konasana (wide-angle, seated forward bend), uttanasana (standing forward bend), sarvangasana (shoulderstand) and any supported backbend.
The family of poses I really don't dig (but I do them!): standing. Esp. the wide angle asymmetric ones and the weight-bearing balances like virabhadrasana 3. These really make me aware of the asymmetries and weaknesses in my front groins.
I really need to do yoga more often. My gym offers several classes, so I should take advantage of them.
ReplyDeleteHa! I have the same experience with tree pose. I always assumed it was just fatigue/general tiredness, but maybe you're onto something...
ReplyDeleteI also have wrist problems when I do a lot of yoga or push-ups. My solution is to stay away from those poses for a while because for me, the pain doesn't go away. I'm glad that your wrist pain only lasted a few days :-)
I really like this post!
I bought a groupon for a month at CorePower so I have been going as much as I can. My favorite pose is also pigeon pose. My least favorite pose is when we do side planks as I about need to audibly gasp during that pose and I feel so week. And I am frustrated by the fact that I can't do crow pose... and feel like I never will. But all that said, I love yoga and it has been so great to do more yoga and less miles this month.
ReplyDeleteMy wrists hurt too! It makes it hard to do a lot of the poses -- plank, downward dog...it seems to help if I put my fingertips on the floor instead of my palms. I bought a Groupon but haven't activated it yet because once I do, it's only good for 90 days.
ReplyDeleteYou've inspired me. I've been off my mat for so long, I need to start practicing again. A streak may be just what the doctor ordered. (History PhD counts as doctor, right?)
ReplyDeleteAs for tree pose... maybe it's the stability of your base before you get into the pose?
I'm curious to hear more about what you discover as this yoga streak progresses!
I really appreciate the catching-yourself-in-the-yoga-mirror revelation. Although, I don't think I ever actually believed I was graceful! Actually...I don't think my yoga studio has mirrors. Maybe for this exact reason?
ReplyDelete