Monday, December 3, 2012

December Goals

This month promises to be full. I have research papers and final exams to grade. I have a new class to prepare for next semester. I have some holiday gift shopping to finish. I'm heading to Louisiana to see family later in the month. I have marathon training plans to ponder a bit later in the month. I'm looking forward to the break as the first semester at a new institution is always tiring. I considered not setting any goals this month at all as a result, but, as we all know, I'm a perpetual goal-setter. So to satisfy my addiction I'm setting a few focused, simple goals.

1. Finish the modernized edition of primary source texts for the edited volume that I'm working on. I really need to get this project off my desk so that I can focus my research and writing time on other things during the spring semester. I want to finish this stage of work on the edition by the end of the year.

2. Maintain my food journal every day during the month of December. While I have no real plans to count calories, keeping track of what I'm eating makes it more likely that I'll eat an orange every now and then through the holidays and not just consume Christmas cookies, latkes, and pumpkin pie.

3. Take a photo every day during the last month of the year. Some how I've more or less fallen off the 365 wagon, and I need to get back on. I've been taking a lot of photos with my phone -- many of them with instagram. But I want to get back to taking more shots with my DSLR and working with my zoom lens.

4. Write up some posts reflecting on the past year. I have end-of-the-year reports to give on my goals and want to record some of my favorite and most meaningful moments of 2012 here.


December has gotten off to a good start for me. On Saturday I went to a movie with a friend, and yesterday we had friends over for brunch. They brought their cute ten-month-old son over, and it was a lot of fun to play with a happy little kiddo. Bailey is pretty sure that he is her new BFF -- possibly because Sam shared his toys with her and she shared her bone with him. I also got some good news this weekend. An article that I submitted to an academic journal has been accepted for publication and will come out in print in the spring!

Do you have any goals for December?

7 comments:

  1. I'm trying to do more yoga classes this month. Twice a week would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the article publication!

    December goals: Half marathon + 5k + keep up my runstreak.
    Also: Enjoy the winter break from school and take a WHOLE WEEK OFF (maybe two). I've been burning the candle at both ends for a few months now and plan to use the end of the month for a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting published! That is so exciting!!

    My goal for December is to just 'be'. I want to relax and enjoy the final weeks before CFA studying resumes. I *think* I am done traveling, too, so that will be nice. I want to lounge in bed, make brunch for my boyfriend, try new recipes, and go on some long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations again on the article! I'm doing a happy dance for you right now: {cha cha cha!}

    I have also been thinking a lot about the end of the year, old goals for 2012, and new goals for 2013. I am so, so thankful that this year is almost over. I like how some of your December goals are really just recommitting to old goals--it's a good reminder that yes, we do have permission to try again if our efforts have declined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to get from Alaska to Louisiana?

      Delete
  5. Fantastic news on your article! As the spouse of an academic, I know how exciting that is! :) The food journal is a great idea- like you, it doesn't necessarily change my food choices, but it's helpful for me to be a bit more aware of the indulgences this time of month. Maybe I'll resist an extra cookie or two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your new header! Especially the "whine" part! Good luck with your goals! I think that you are so right about the food tracking...it does help to eat more fruit and less cookies when you are writing it down and have to see it in print.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.